5 replies to this topic

#1 Will0wz

Will0wz

Jedi In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 04:22 PM

Hey, Im a complete noob at DP but am very keen to learn.

If someone would be generous enough to give up their time to show me one or two things or even link me to a site where it would start me from scratch i'd be very greatful =].

I have no experience what so ever in this and also have no packages so any type of help would be great.

Thanks.

#2 jabberthenut

jabberthenut

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:Photoshop, Piano etc.

Posted 12 February 2007 - 07:46 PM

Well first get either:

Delphi
Python
Visual Basic
or
Visual C++

Then try here

Edited by jabberthenut, 12 February 2007 - 07:47 PM.

#3 ronson

ronson

Banned For Being Purple

• Twodded Staff
  • PipPip
  • 480 posts
  • Interests:Rugby, Programming, Building Computers, Networking, Web Design and...........BINGE DRINKING!!!!!!.

Posted 18 February 2007 - 11:56 AM

No i wouldn't start C++ as it's mainy OOP style begin with something like Visual Basic, alot easier then once you've done OOP in that then start something like C++.

#4 Jynxis

Jynxis

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 132 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 01:31 AM

Actually Java is what some people learn first before C/C++. Some IT instructors told me that a while back.

#5 goaliemike

goaliemike

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 05:35 PM

Ive learned Visual Basic, just learned Delphi and i will be going on to some C++ soon. I would say Delphi (witch is PASCAL) is a great start, its closer to C++ then visual basic.

#6 MetalSkin

MetalSkin

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 196 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 05:12 AM

Hmm I would recommend Java as the first language. If your wishing to focus on windows platform or .Net then you can do C#, but they would be the primary choice.

Either way avoid doing any UI (User Interface, i.e. Windows programming) until you have learnt the basics. What you learn first depends on where you wish to go. Remember, .Net is really if you only intend to work on the Windows platform. However do note that a few game engines do use C# as their scripting engine if that is the area you wish to get into.

Java is more seen as a business language and if you wish to get into business programming then Java will be fine, note however C# is also seen as a business programming language, just that you do find it used in some game engines as their scripting language.

If you wish to do big corporate intranet based websites running software like ERP's then Java is without the doubt the go.

Now for Java you can go to http://java.sun.com/...onlineTraining/.

Java is 100% free, and you can get a lot of nice IDE's (integrated development environment) to use with java that are also free (and open source). I would recommend NetBeans, but that is just personal choice. To begin with though the old command line and notepad.exe is the best path to learning.

hope that helps. Btw, if you post something about what your goals are then we may be able to better assist in which path you should take.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users