• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 paxawallop

paxawallop

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Art in it's various forms, film, music, computers and video games.

Posted 10 February 2008 - 07:23 PM

I'm applying for a freelance job as a junior graphic designer but I don't know how much my hourly rate should be. I don't have any professional experience but I'm pretty proficient in software such as photoshop, illustrator, indesign, fireworks, dreamweaver, and some html/css/java knowledge. I'm also currently studying my BA in graphic design. What sounds like a fair rate??

I don't have a website up but I have some of my work on deviantart. check out the link below.
portfolio

#2 damir_zg

damir_zg

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 04:23 PM

here in croatia the hourly rate for a designer is 10$/hr POOR! go for 20$/hr

Edited by damir_zg, 18 February 2008 - 04:23 PM.

#3 shameless_w_o_a_d

shameless_w_o_a_d

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:Web Design, Graphics Design, Computers, Games, Music, Basketball

Posted 19 February 2008 - 02:14 AM

As I'm in a similar role - only that I have finished my qualifications - I charge my freelance rates at NZ$50 - NZ$60 an hour, which is very cheap considering the industry rate here is about NZ$100/hour.

About the only real advice I can offer you is to contact some of the companies near you that provide the services you will provide, and just ring them up and find out what their prices are. Don't tell them that you're doing it because you want to have an idea on what to charge, just inform them that you may require some graphic design work and just want to get a rough idea on what the going rate is so that you can ensure you have the money spare. It's a rough enough story, and of course businesses always like to be on budget. :biggrin:

Once you get an idea on what the going rate is around where you live, then you can charge about 50 - 60% of the charge they produce and you should do fine. Just make sure that as you gain the industry experience and have more clients, you slowly up your rate as you are gaining both experience and reputation for your name and that you need to make sure you don't rip yourself off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users