4 replies to this topic

#1 AlexD

AlexD

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 12:47 PM

I want to apply to an art school for Photography but my only camera is a cheesy $90 digital camera that holds 25 pictures. I am looking for a GOOD camera for a relative beginner that I can make a portfolio with and use in school that is hopefully hopefully hopefully not too expensive. What should I buy and why? Also, can anyone help me a little bit with the portfolio process? I have no idea what to do. Thank you :biggrin:

#2 theguid

theguid

chewy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 296 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 08:38 PM

Don't buy something super expensive. Get something that shoots RAW, but beyond that you really need to focus more on the theory of photography rather than the equipment. You can learn on a cheaper camera just as fast or faster than a high $ one, and learning it's limits will help you to know how to buy a camera that's right for you down the road. A great photograph is probably 95% technique and processing and 5% hardware used to shoot it with.

#3 mr sussex

mr sussex

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 10:39 AM

Ok, I'll give you a bit more detail:

If you are serious about a photography course you need an SLR, you need to be able to swap lenses and have the facility for manual focus, manual exposure and it needs to shoot RAW.

In the field of digital SLR cameras there is only two real choices, Canon or Nikon.

Both these makes will enable you to build a kit more quickly and more cheaply than any other manufacturers offerings.

You need a flashgun, get one dedicated to the camera body. Metz and Sunpak are worthy third-party manufacturers.

At least two lenses, preferably designed for the format you use (ie: Nikon DX lenses for 1.6 crop). You want, give or take, to be able to cover 28mm to 200mm (35mm equivalent). Again, buy a make that can be trusted, Sigma, tamron, tokina etc.

You need a bag, a spare battery for the camera, some memory cards and maybe a polarizing filter and, definitely a tripod.

You can spend what you like, but I would expect to spend at least £500 secondhand.

There is a certain amount of rubbish talked about the camera being unimportant and technique being everything. Technique is crucial but you never see a news photographer using a Holga or a 'blad and there are reasons for this.

Also don't worry about pixel count, I'd rather have 2 million good pixels than 12 million rubbish pixels. Other features like face recognition, red eye reduction are all worthless too.

Always shoot RAW and look at other photographers work and you will progress rapidly.

My advice: Nikon. I've used them for 25 years +, I love them.

As for the portfolio, you needn't worry about that until you have some images to put in it!

Good luck.

Edited by mr sussex, 27 April 2010 - 10:40 AM.

#4 Wonderimage

Wonderimage

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 01:36 AM

Hi AlexD,

Before purchasing any camera, you should check the amount. Many expert photographers recommend Nikon, Sony and Canon. They are expensive but long lasting and provide the best features. You can check the prices on Amazon, Ebay and Yahoo shopping. Check the model, specification and rate through online shopping websites then purchase from a local shop as they will support you with technical problems or warranty claiming.

For making a portfolio, visit the “Photography section” on servana.com, where experts are ready to provide any help.

#5 _*aprillove20_*

_*aprillove20_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2010 - 02:20 AM

Well, I used to 6 mega pixel so far it is great.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users