16 replies to this topic

#1 l3lueMage

l3lueMage

Wanna Be Moderator

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,603 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 11:10 PM

Hello Everyone, as some of you may or may not know, Faken the old site owner sold pixel2life. Now as I see pixel2life is slowly trying to come back to life, may we have an introduction and short bio about all the new admins? I will try to become active again here if it starts turning in a good direction again:)

Thank you.
  • Karmuploara likes this

#2 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 03:50 AM

Can help ya cus I have no idea myself :blush: Merry Kissmoose

#3 l3lueMage

l3lueMage

Wanna Be Moderator

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,603 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 10:35 AM

Woh Donna! Long time no talk!! Yea I feel like now the admins are just people getting paid, it doesn't give that feeling of "the admins are just another user like me", its more like "if you need help im here to help. from 8-5., then Johnny here will take over from 5-12" lol.

#4 derek.sullivan

derek.sullivan

Jedi In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Interests:preaching, programming, music, friends, outdoors, moves, books

Posted 16 December 2011 - 11:11 PM

you pay the admins?

#5 l3lueMage

l3lueMage

Wanna Be Moderator

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,603 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 12:21 AM

No, a company bought pixel2life, so I can only assume it's a company running these forums and website and theres a few paid people managing content and forums, until they say otherwise it is the only thing I see going on.

But before when the website was under ownership of Faken, it is not spoken of whether admins were paid or not, I believe it was against the rules to speak of such matters or even spread rumors that they might be paid, so regardless that doesn't matter. what matters now is, who are these new admins...and are they just a paid junky doing a job or do they actually enjoy and want to bring the forum back to life.

#6 WSimpson

WSimpson

P2L Admin

• Admin
  • 59 posts
  • Interests:P2L admin, graphic designer, cat lover, books and comics addict.

Posted 18 December 2011 - 09:30 PM

Hello!

It's a great pleasure to see people coming back on the forum and making it a lively place again! First, I want to thank you all: the forum wouldn't be the same without you. Your contributions are important and greatly appreciated.

As you've noticed, the site has new owners, and a small new team. Our friend Faken did a fantastic job with P2L and we greatly admire all his achievements. A new challenge came by and he had to make a difficult choice. Since he no longer has the time to take care of Pixel2Life, he found people he could trust to maintain Pixel2Life and take it to new heights.

Our job is not only to take care of the forum, but to develop all the applications available on Pixel2Life. In the coming months, the site will reach a total of 90 000 submitted tutorials. It's a tremendous job for one person. And that's why we are here!

We are a small team and not some faceless international company. Our company, Rive-Nord, has been in business for six years ans is owned by two brothers, Jean and Gilles Lamontagne. Its objective is to develop and maintain various websites. Like Faken, we are from Montreal.

We are developing plenty of new stuff for the site! Our newsletter subscribers know that there are many new things coming up: we are also maintaining and developing a tutorial search engine called TutorialSeek, we are introducing new categories on Pixel2Life, and so on. We like to come up regularly with new ideas and develop new tools, and we will keep you informed of all the new goodies!

Regarding the forum, we have a big problem with spammers and it requires permanent attention. We watch and moderate the forum every day, and do our best to keep away spammers who want to use the forum to sell their products. The forum is a fantastic way to exchange ideas, and we want to be a part of it and be more and more active.

Also, we are honest people and we don't know if Faken had some agreements with some of the moderators on the forum. If it is the case, please send us a message and we will discuss the matter with Faken. We have and excellent relationship with him.

You may have noticed and enjoyed the new version of our forum and its many new functions. Many of you already seem happy about the changes. We are determined to offer something swell and we need your help to make this forum a most interestering meeting place.

Thank you all for your implication in this forum, it is greatly appreciated!

#7 l3lueMage

l3lueMage

Wanna Be Moderator

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,603 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 02:02 AM

Well it;s good to hear from you guys, naturally of course we have as high of expectations from you as Faken gave us! :)

#8 -Forsaken-

-Forsaken-

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:Graphic's

Posted 19 December 2011 - 10:25 AM

It will be good to see this place make a come back, glad there is people watching over it. Guess i better get to work submitting a bunch of our new tutorials & great job on tutorial seek, looks amazing!!

#9 WSimpson

WSimpson

P2L Admin

• Admin
  • 59 posts
  • Interests:P2L admin, graphic designer, cat lover, books and comics addict.

Posted 19 December 2011 - 06:24 PM

@l3lueMage: It's perfectly normal. Sorry we could'nt introduce ourselves earlier, we had a lot on our plates the last few months.

It's good to see you, everyone. @-Forsaken- Glad you like it!
  • 1P0 likes this

#10 1P0

1P0

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 08:14 PM

Hello everybody,
I'm one of the admins of P2L and essentially the guy that breaks the software on each update.
Anything expressed here in the forums by me or any other administrator is the solely opinion of its writer and doesn't necessarily represent the strict orders of the owners who really command us to say all that textually.
Just kidding, I mean, it doesn't necessarily represent the official opinion of Pixel2Life :P . In fact nobody told me to say anything here.

Regarding my related bio... I started software programming 25 years ago so I have some experience, understanding that "Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again."
One of the owners of the site has an even larger hands-on experience in high traffic online software projects.

We all know that one tutorial can change your life (either the life of the writer or the reader) if it is well written, diffused and properly read.
So we base our efforts in helping to diffuse all the P2L content (tutorials and forum's Q&A), consequently improving the marketing for the content writers too.

Gilles, another owner, has been constantly devoted to analyze, digest :P , understand and create new marketing plans to improve Pixel2Life. Are you using the alexa toolbar? any feedback is welcome. In the next weeks we are going to enable some of the new changes.

IMHO, all the questions are valid and to know if the site is passionately owned and managed is one of the most important.

I know the answer... but I will not tell you :P (sorry, I'm commanded to enjoy my job)

You can think about revenge, but in the meanwhile you can enter to see (and try) the new improvements on the forums by going here:
http://www.pixel2lif...-in-the-forums/

I think that associate the Facebook account was a good thing and I'm personally using it.
That's one small step for a man and a... sorry, I mean, it's a good change that can eventually lead to other improvements specifically related to community building.

Feel free to provide some feedback. We are testing several changes that we implemented in P2L and TutorialSeek and they will be released soon.

Another good question is "How does a project get to be a year late?", and the answer is of course "One day at a time".

Feel free to contact us through the forums, PM, etc. :)

#11 l3lueMage

l3lueMage

Wanna Be Moderator

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,603 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 05:48 PM

@l3lueMage: It's perfectly normal. Sorry we could'nt introduce ourselves earlier, we had a lot on our plates the last few months.

It's good to see you, everyone. @-Forsaken- Glad you like it!

Wonders if he copy pasted my username, or typed it correctly first time.

Anyways thanks for the replies ! :)

#12 DanWilliamson

DanWilliamson

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 10:15 PM

It's good to see some old faces in this thread. :) Nice to see that the new Administration has also posted now as they just quietly took over without much information on the forums which was a little bit unsettling.
  • 1P0 likes this

#13 1P0

1P0

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 01:53 PM

We're actively working in new things coming to P2L.
One of those is expressed here
http://www.pixel2lif...tagging-system/

Our challenge is to help the users of P2L capitalize the effort they've do.
You can put in your Resume that you have hundreds (some can say thousands) of posts in P2L, and I think that's important, in fact I did it some time ago with some programming articles I wrote.
But we are going for more :D and we're listening to everybody that has something to propose.

#14 BlueBoden

BlueBoden

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 04:09 AM

Regarding spammers on the Forum, did you consider implementing some pattern matching?

Automated spam can usually be easily detected, either from just looking at the content the spammers post, or by looking on their behavior on your site.
You could also check the IP of new users when they post, against blacklists of known spammers. You see, there are plenty of options not requiring captchas, and they are usually more effective as well.

False positives doesn't even have to be an issue, if implemented with care. Blocking tor users from posting will also eliminate most spam. Such users can contact admins first, if they wish to post using these networks.

#15 1P0

1P0

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 04:31 PM

Hi BlueBoden, we use the "view new content - new since my last visit" to check everything posted, and mark it as spam if needed.
In the latest upgrade of IP.Board that we did some weeks ago, I enabled the spam monitoring that automatically check IPs and content against a centralized Invision Power spammers database, and from there we reduced considerably the amount of spam.
Here is the description in case somebody is using IP.Board elsewhere http://www.invisionp...ts/spammonitor/
So we'll get some experience first and then report it to Invision Power and see if they react. I can redirect them your suggestion.
If they doesn't provide a solution, perhaps we will need to do it ourselves but it would be much easier for them, because they have contact with thousands of board implementations.

#16 l3lueMage

l3lueMage

Wanna Be Moderator

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,603 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 02:18 AM

How do you pronounce your username? Spam will always be present, just need moderators 24/7=]

#17 1P0

1P0

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:53 AM

Hello l3lueMage,
not sure if you were asking for my nickname, but it is "fabianse", coming from my first name "Fabian" (pronunciation IPA =

/ˈfeɪbiən/ )

http://dictionary.re...m/browse/fabian
The graphic designer that works in several projects is Julie, and she works together with Gilles.

I guess your nickname is BlueMage, isn't it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users