16 replies to this topic

#1 cng

cng

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 10:25 PM

The temporarily address of my portfolio in progress is here. This is not an advertisement as I do not have any work in the portfolio nor any text. I want just feedbacks about my design, and functionality of the site itself. If you see or experience any flaws, please tell me. Also, I'm always looking for suggestions to make the site better. Thanks a lot guys!

#2 cng

cng

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 10:34 PM

I'm about 85% done.

Here is my to-do list:

1. Preloader (though its a small file, it still deserves a preloader and there are still dial-up users.
2. Work on the "level" display. I have not thought of a good method to do it yet as it is suppose to be digital and scrolling doesnt work well.
3. Intro page - revamp the whole intro page to hopefully attract more interest and transition better into the Flash site.
4. Text and a contact form.
5. And finally, no elevator is complete without some elevator music (and sound).
6. Number 5 is last, but thats only on my list. I want to put together whatever you guys come up with as well.

#3 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 11:51 PM

Hi cng

I really like this, novel idea for a website only thing I see you need to fix up browsing through very quickly is add the js file for IE users so your swf doesn't have a box around it in IE

#4 xis

xis

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 02:03 AM

I don't know what else to say other than it's uber secsay.

#5 Danny

Danny

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 262 posts
  • Interests:web design

Posted 07 August 2006 - 02:11 AM

Improve loading time, you also need to improve the navigation, your relying on the user to move the cursor around franticaly to find the navigation buttons.

I.e on the contacts page, its empty, but when you move the cursor over to the telephone box it lights up, maybe adding some form of effect to the phone box will increase the chances of the user finding it. I.e the inside light could flicker.

Its ok, could benefit from being larger, the images could be of better quality.

Its quite a common concept, having a subway or a lift as the focus point, but i think you've pulled it off quite well.

4/10 but with the improvements and once its finished you could easily pass 8/10.

#6 cng

cng

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 02:54 AM

Improve loading time, you also need to improve the navigation, your relying on the user to move the cursor around franticaly to find the navigation buttons.

I.e on the contacts page, its empty, but when you move the cursor over to the telephone box it lights up, maybe adding some form of effect to the phone box will increase the chances of the user finding it. I.e the inside light could flicker.

Its ok, could benefit from being larger, the images could be of better quality.

Its quite a common concept, having a subway or a lift as the focus point, but i think you've pulled it off quite well.

4/10 but with the improvements and once its finished you could easily pass 8/10.

Thanks for your honest reply and that's what I was hoping for. I'll use your comment as encouragement to improve and make it better.

About the quality: its set at 50% to keep the file size super small for preview experience. However, even at 100% I still dont think the quality is that much better. I would probably publish the final version at 80% when I have a preloader finished.

Edited by cng, 07 August 2006 - 10:10 AM.

#7 Dale71

Dale71

Jedi In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Interests:Stuff.

Posted 07 August 2006 - 06:20 AM

Wow that site really is impressive, the flash is great. Well done, Top of the list with some of my favourite flash sites.

#8 nima

nima

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 04:15 PM

Over the past few years I have came across many websites with same idea, I tent to think that unique ness is kinda important in web development

However overall I fancy this design, nice work

#9 Illinifan91

Illinifan91

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 06:42 PM

cool idea but its kinda small.

#10 cng

cng

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 08:04 PM

Preloader finished. Please tell me if its fast enough or too slow (loading preloader as well as loading site itself).

Also, is it too plain?

#11 funkysoul

funkysoul

The Funky Stuff

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,307 posts
  • Interests:Music: HIM, HIM, HIM, Cafe del Mar, Linkin Park, Fort Minor, Coldplay, Eric Jordan<br />Sports: Snowboarding, KiteSurfing, Extreme Sports<br />Computer: Flash, After Effects, Actionscript

Posted 09 August 2006 - 04:17 AM

First of all, I have to say that the basic idea is quite cool, although it has been seen already a few times :bs:

The splash page at the beginning is from my point of view useless..
The website itself could become a bit bigger.
Is it just me or is your website quite empty?

and to answer your question, yes it's a bit too plain.. Maybe you could add some background image / pattern / gradient, to make it stand out :D

#12 α∂αмяoss

α∂αмяoss

P2L Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts
  • Interests:football, Manchester Utd., coding, web developement, business, girls and warcraft.

Posted 09 August 2006 - 05:36 AM

That's a pretty cool portofolio you've got there dude. I love the whole concept of it. Keep up the good work!

#13 Danny

Danny

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 262 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 01:28 PM

Loading time is improved, your still relying on the random clicking of the user to discover your navigation and its still too small.

#14 cng

cng

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 09:32 PM

Unless there is an easy way of changing the size without changing each frame or else I dont think I can make it bigger. Also, the images will lose a lot more quality. I've added flashes to the buttons for every five seconds so not totally random clickings.

Edit: Dont worry guys, I will add a stop sound button/maybe volume control so people have the option.

Edited by cng, 09 August 2006 - 09:34 PM.

#15 Danny

Danny

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 262 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 04:48 AM

on the lift scene, you should add the text of the current page, because on the top button, its just black dots and no roll over, it doesnt look nice.

You really should look into redesigning it then, if you cant extend this one, because on larger screens it looks perfecticaly small.

If you do go for redesigning it, use this one as one of your portfolio sites.

#16 Clandestine

Clandestine

* Forum Police *

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 02:16 PM

the only thing that i have a problem with is the Cng studio thing for the splash page. Its really jumppled up and took me a second to see what it ment. Maybe space them a lil away from each other. Other than that its cool

-Devyn

#17 d2Squared

d2Squared

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 828 posts
  • Interests:Swimmig<br />Web-design<br />Starcraft

Posted 11 August 2006 - 06:13 AM

very nice flash work

Edited by d2Squared, 11 August 2006 - 06:13 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users