←  General Help

Pixel2Life Forum

»

Putting a printer on the network

l3lueMage's Photo l3lueMage 16 Nov 2006

Okay, I was wondering if there is anyway to put a printer on the network so even if a new computer connects to the printer it will see it and can print.

N-sane Noob's Photo N-sane Noob 16 Nov 2006

Just go to control panel and then go to network and sharing center....and follow the steps...i think its just next next next...and its easy..

squr3l's Photo squr3l 17 Nov 2006

if that doesnt work, you can enable sharing on your computer and printers by following micro$ofts help http://www.microsoft...cutt_july2.mspx

Faken's Photo Faken 17 Nov 2006

Okay, I was wondering if there is anyway to put a printer on the network so even if a new computer connects to the printer it will see it and can print.

Is the printer connected directly to the LAN via a network hub or is it connected to a PC via USB/LPT port? If the printer is directly connected to a PC, you need to enable printer sharing on the PC and then share that particular printer (right click on it and enable sharing) and assign a share name to it. Then go to the PC(s) on the lan and install a network printer. It should let you browse to the PC with the shared printer. Double click on the PC and then double click on the shared printer and it will install the required drivers. If the PC that has the printer installed is the same OS, it will install the drivers right off that PC, otherwise you may need the driver files handy.

Dan

Vandalised's Photo Vandalised 17 Nov 2006

Oh and am I right in saying, when you've added the printer you must must make sure its all secure (Your PC etc). I've read many things about printer sharing and such and there 'an easy target' so make sure you've got an decent firewall and you'll be good to go.

Faken's Photo Faken 17 Nov 2006

Oh and am I right in saying, when you've added the printer you must must make sure its all secure (Your PC etc). I've read many things about printer sharing and such and there 'an easy target' so make sure you've got an decent firewall and you'll be good to go.

When you enable printer sharing on a LAN, the printer is shared on the internal LAN IP. There's no way of getting to that from an external IP unless you specifically configure it that way. If you're running a LAN of any kind with some form of internet access, chances are you're already running a router and firewall combo anyhow.

Dan

l3lueMage's Photo l3lueMage 17 Nov 2006

Alright it's setup, it says the printer is sharing, now I have to wait for my parents to get home to test on their computer :)

squr3l's Photo squr3l 17 Nov 2006

nice job, o and is it an hp? i have so many problems networking the hps at my moms office :censored: the officejet 7410 worked on half the computers and the wide format 9800 series didnt even have network capabilities >.> silly hp

Av-'s Photo Av- 18 Nov 2006

I have a hp deskjet and it works without any problems, only sucky thing is, i must have my computer running in order to print with another computer on the network, since the usb wires are connected to my pc, wouldn't happen with a standalone printer i guess....

Faken's Photo Faken 20 Nov 2006

I have a hp deskjet and it works without any problems, only sucky thing is, i must have my computer running in order to print with another computer on the network, since the usb wires are connected to my pc, wouldn't happen with a standalone printer i guess....

Right, if you are using a USB or Parallel port based printer and you're sharing it on the network via a PC, that PC has to be on for it to work. A work around for this is to purchase a USB or Parallel to Ethernet converter... It's a little box you connect the printer (or anything else to) and it will allow that device to be used on the network. If the software you are using is com port based, these devices usually come with software clients that you install on the PC to emulate a com port for you. I used to work with hundreds of these devices at my old work.