7 replies to this topic

#1 Ben

Ben

P2L Jedi Master

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 10:07 PM

I need a book that will teach me advanced collisions like that linerider (www.linerider.com) game. So far on my own I haven't figured it out. I've got a number of books (which are BOUGHT, so I am planning to buy) that teach me collision and such, but nothing that shows stuff like the linerider game. If anyone could show me a couple of books that would be great.

#2 funkysoul

funkysoul

The Funky Stuff

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,307 posts
  • Interests:Music: HIM, HIM, HIM, Cafe del Mar, Linkin Park, Fort Minor, Coldplay, Eric Jordan<br />Sports: Snowboarding, KiteSurfing, Extreme Sports<br />Computer: Flash, After Effects, Actionscript

Posted 24 January 2007 - 04:07 AM

Advanced Actionscript Animation by Keith Peters (frieds of ed)

AS3 version coming out end of february: http://www.friendsof...isbn=1590597915
AS 2 version still available: http://www.friendsof...isbn=1590595181

#3 Ben

Ben

P2L Jedi Master

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 06:59 AM

Thanks, I'm looking at it now. Is it just normal collision reaction though? I mean, I know how to do angled collisions and ball collisions, or can it teach me how to make realistic collision reactions? I wan't to know before I start buying.

#4 funkysoul

funkysoul

The Funky Stuff

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,307 posts
  • Interests:Music: HIM, HIM, HIM, Cafe del Mar, Linkin Park, Fort Minor, Coldplay, Eric Jordan<br />Sports: Snowboarding, KiteSurfing, Extreme Sports<br />Computer: Flash, After Effects, Actionscript

Posted 24 January 2007 - 11:32 AM

you mean IK & AK?!

#5 Ben

Ben

P2L Jedi Master

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 10:57 PM

Sorry, what is exactly IK & AK? I'm not very knowledgable on math terms.

EDIT: Wait aren't you talking about Inverse Kinematics and Forward Kinematics? If so, that's sort of what I'm looking for, but if you look at the example I showed you, the object has suspension, and it works realistically.

Edited by d4rkst0n3, 24 January 2007 - 11:03 PM.

#6 funkysoul

funkysoul

The Funky Stuff

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,307 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 04:58 AM

Inverse and Advanced Kinematics.. These 2 books are the only books on the market that show you advanced Actionscript.

Maybe you could have a look at the sourcefiles of yugop and levitated.

#7 Ben

Ben

P2L Jedi Master

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 06:08 AM

I don't think I'd get much from looking at the source files from levitated and yugop. I looked at the source file of the linerider game and I couldn't make sense of the code. I couldn't even tell what actually make it do what it did.

As for the kinematics, are you sure that they are what I'm looking for? Because I can only see them being used on the person, not the sled the person is riding. I'm not very good at math so I don't know... Would it be helpful to learn kinematics on its own, and not with Flash? I'm not sure how easy it would be to incorporate.

#8 Pax

Pax

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 01:12 PM

Generally it helps to know the theory, then apply that theory to whatever it is your working with. There are probably a good number of websites that cover physics and kinetics and all that stuff. Get on google man (think of google as a really really big tutorial database <_< ).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users