#1 Gibbons

Gibbons

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 182 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 09:56 AM

Floomo.com

The World of the Unexplained!!!! Floomo provides a fresh source of first hand accounts, photographs, videos, information, discussion and research into the world of the paranormal.

Posted Image

Above is a small screen shot of the design I did. I decided to make it as simple and fresh looking as possible, with a few colours only. I didn't want it to distract people from the actually content of the website.

Posted Image

I also created a custom BBCODE for the forum that allows users to simply enter the video ID from youtube and other video providers, and when you click on the Icon it creates, you get a Digg style video lightbox. You can see a screen shot above and a live example here:

http://www.floomo.co...p?showtopic=164

Posted Image - - Just click on this.

I tried to keep the layout the same throughout the website.

http://www.floomo.com

What do you think?

Edited by Floomo, 19 April 2007 - 02:59 PM.

#2 _*Creative Insanity_*

_*Creative Insanity_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2007 - 11:36 AM

Love the pastel colours you use in this. Very nice. Oh an yeah.. uniformity, the forum skin matches the main site, way cool.

#3 Gibbons

Gibbons

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 182 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 11:42 AM

Thanks for the comment. I spent some time trying to keep everything uniform. Skinning Invision, and coppermine took time lol. I think it has paid off in the end though.

Posted Image

#4 _*Creative Insanity_*

_*Creative Insanity_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2007 - 01:49 PM

Paid off for sure. There is nothing better in my books when a person spends the time to make a site and all it's add-ons have the same template. Just shows that the creator cares what the are showing to the world.

I think there is nothing worse than a site and forum with a differant template.

#5 d2Squared

d2Squared

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 828 posts
  • Interests:Swimmig<br />Web-design<br />Starcraft

Posted 22 March 2007 - 02:45 PM

Yes, I noticed that as well, in many sites the "mother" design is so much different than the forum design, and that, in my opinion, just makes the site look careless from the owner and really a piece of trash. It's good that you have taken your time to design the forum like the homepage. Apart from that, I am really liking your personality Steven, you never give up, and it's important. I remember this site from long long long time ago when there was a banner competition, and from there and on, it kept changing, in order to best fit the user and the visitor. It's good, very good, and really important. All the new stuff you have done there, such as the gallery, the videos, the affiliates etc, is so different from other sites and it makes Floomo very special, not only the hard work you have put to it, but the content there is really good. Well, that's what I have to so far, and all I got to say is good luck, looks like you put a lot of hard work to it, I like it!

Good Job Steven.

Dor

#6 _*Creative Insanity_*

_*Creative Insanity_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2007 - 03:05 PM

Does that Youtube link have video? If so not showing up on the Mac.
Just voice that repeats over and over and just see the loading screen.

Edited by Creative Insanity, 22 March 2007 - 03:06 PM.

#7 Gibbons

Gibbons

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 182 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 03:37 PM

Yes it plays the video. I will have to revisit my coding and make sure its compatible for macs too. Maybe you need to have flash player installed?? And Dor, Thanks for your comment. I really have spent a lot of time in the development of Floomo. Its something I am passionate about, and I am pleased my affections are shown in my work.

#8 _*Creative Insanity_*

_*Creative Insanity_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2007 - 04:23 PM

I do have flash player installer.

#9 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 11:53 PM

Looks a lot better than it did at least it doesn't look like Pixel2Life anymore. :)

Theres a much better bbcode for embedding youtube movies into IPB than the one your using too btw, and it works well with Macs

#10 Gibbons

Gibbons

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 182 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 06:52 AM

Is it the one where it automatically embeds into the post. If so, I used to use that one, but wanted to make something a little different. Can you point me towards the code you are talking about please. Cheers for the comment Donna, and yeah I did learn from p2l's design. It was a good place to start lol.

#11 Gibbons

Gibbons

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 182 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 02:56 PM

Well, I couldn't help myself. I have changed the colours again, and the layout a bit. What do you think now? I tried to make it even more professional looking, making sure the gallery, forums, and the addons looked uniform and the same throughout.

Homepage:
Posted Image

Forums:
Posted Image

Gallery:
Posted Image

Image Uploads:
Posted Image

What do you think?

#12 Bug

Bug

P2L Staff

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 05:36 PM

Personally I liked your first header, with the alien and all. It's looking a bit more professional, I guess, but it's kind of lost it's vibe

#13 CrazedLlama

CrazedLlama

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 861 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Music, Guitar, Basketball

Posted 19 April 2007 - 06:19 PM

Ill agree with BUG on this one... Id keep the old style... Its more atracting.

#14 Gibbons

Gibbons

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 182 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 08:46 PM

Thanks for the comments. I think I prefer the latest version. I know the colours aren't as bright, but I feel it makes it more professional looking and for an older generation of people. I'm trying to target the older web viewers lol. Due to its content. I just think the previous version was slightly childish. But thats my opinion, and its yours that I want.

I have just changed the logo as I feel it was far to boring. Is that an improvement?

#15 efd

efd

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 09:35 PM

It's a hard toss up for me. I like the first one for it's "eye-catching" factor, but I like the second one for it's slick and clean look. Maybe an amalgam of the two? Actually, I'm just excited to see a site about the subject of the paranormal that doesn't have scrolling text bars everywhere, the anigif starscape background, and twenty year old anigifs of silly, cutesy-looking aliens or sheet ghosts. I've actually bookmarked your site because it has some excellent information. Top shelf stuff.

#16 Gibbons

Gibbons

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 182 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 09:45 PM

Thanks very much. Most of my content is submitted by our members, so if you have some good stuff, please do share it with us on Floomo. :P

#17 Propax

Propax

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • Interests:Webdesign, Football, Manchester United FC, Seeing the World, Music and tons more other stuff.

Posted 21 April 2007 - 07:38 AM

I like the colours you've used on the layout. Also what a superb site to launch, I would love to know more about the supernatrual phenomena and the whole alien thing. Good job :D.

Keep it up :)

Edited by Propax, 21 April 2007 - 07:38 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users