103 replies to this topic

#41 Jaymz

Jaymz

Retired P2L Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,104 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 12:54 PM

Early Tuesday, however, a levee gave way, and 80% of New Orleans is now said to be under water, which in some places is 25 feet deep.

From WikiPedia

:ph34r:

Don't believe half the stuff you read on that site anyone can edit it - article is gone btw

Check my post above, have quoted CNN as well.

#42 Rubber Duckie

Rubber Duckie

Jedi In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Interests:Photoshop, Webdesign, Advertising, Origami, Photography, Deviantart.com, Pixel2life.com, snopes.com.

Posted 30 August 2005 - 03:28 PM

I heard, (mostly everyone heard) That they are going to be sky rocketing gas prices, I think this is a rumor, anyone heard anythin?

#43 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 03:42 PM

I heard, (mostly everyone heard) That they are going to be sky rocketing gas prices, I think this is a rumor, anyone heard anythin?

http://news.yahoo.co...r_katrina_dc_64

#44 -Michael-

-Michael-

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 03:48 PM

Somehow I doubt it, the rigs out in the gulf couldn't have taken THAT much damage, they lose a day of pumping, I don't think that would constitiute a 10-20 cent increase like they are saying, now 2-4 maybe...

#45 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 03:56 PM

U.S. oil prices today jumped $3.65 a barrel to peak at $70.85 as oil firms assessed damage.
Its all over the news

#46 Rubber Duckie

Rubber Duckie

Jedi In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Interests:Photoshop, Webdesign, Advertising, Origami, Photography, Deviantart.com, Pixel2life.com, snopes.com.

Posted 30 August 2005 - 04:03 PM

U.S. oil prices today jumped $3.65 a barrel to peak at $70.85 as oil firms assessed damage.
Its all over the news

I know I just saw,

S'morn when I was going to school gas was $2.41 gallon, now it is $2.81.
Tis maybe a excuse not to go to school :D .

#47 Jaymz

Jaymz

Retired P2L Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,104 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 04:05 PM

Somehow I doubt it, the rigs out in the gulf couldn't have taken THAT much damage, they lose a day of pumping, I don't think that would constitiute a 10-20 cent increase like they are saying, now 2-4 maybe...

There were some that were detached and free floating in the Gulf :D

#48 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 05:02 PM

:D This is really horrible what I'm seeing on TV atm one guy had me in tears as he stood with his two little boys telling a news reporter he was holding onto his wifes hand and she simply dissappeared even the news reporter was in tears :lol: hate seeing stuff like that, very sad.

http://www.craigslist.com/ is being used for people to offer accomodation also others looking for famly, friends, relatives.

The Hurricane was nothing compared to what this thing has actually done and 3 States are badly affected, just total devastation.

And those slime ball looters :omg: and all those able bodied idiots that were capable of leaving when asked I don't have a lot of sympathy for and now they are asking for help :D

New Orleans is going under, some areas now under 30ft water.

#49 Rubber Duckie

Rubber Duckie

Jedi In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 05:09 PM

:( This is really horrible what I'm seeing on TV atm one guy had me in tears as he stood with his two little boys telling a news reporter he was holding onto his wifes hand and she simply dissappeared even the news reporter was in tears :( hate seeing stuff like that, very sad.

Yeah, I saw that to, The intire citie of New Orleans is just about under water. :( . Kinda feel sad sence we are sitting in our cool home with power and water.

I feel realy bad for the people in the super dome, toliets backing up, no water or air conditioning.

#50 Jaymz

Jaymz

Retired P2L Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,104 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 05:51 PM

God bless, if I were closer I would open my home to those stranded :(

#51 d7x

d7x

P2L Jedi

• Twodded Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 30 August 2005 - 06:09 PM

yeah, the damage is increasing, the water is rising.... they need to get the people in there out as fast as possible...

#52 -Michael-

-Michael-

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 06:30 PM

Yeah I saw some footage on the news... damn...

They need to get out, or at least get to higher ground. Most importantly, they need to work together. All I see are fights and looting. They need to come together as a community. Last year when we were bombarded with hurricanes, the whole neighborhood had a giant barbequee, had to do something with the meat in the freezer before it spoiled. It was great, loads of fun, the most fun I'd had in a long time.

#53 Griffin

Griffin

P2L Staff

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts
  • Interests:Things I find interesting.

Posted 31 August 2005 - 12:58 AM

Theres another update.....I think we may have seen the last of new orleans.

The New Orleans Times-Picayune reported late Tuesday that more canal breaches and flooding are predicted. Mayor Ray Nagin said that efforts to stop the flow of water at the breach on the 17th Street Canal are failing, which means the floodwaters were expected to rise again.

Nagin told the Times-Picayune that the waters would soon overwhelm the pump, shutting it down. He said the water will rise to 3 feet above sea level — or 12 to 15 feet in some parts of east Jefferson and Orleans parishes.

Death tolls are rising aswell. I cant even imagine what would of happened if it had hit as a category 5 storm with 175+ mph winds instead of the 145 that only hit some areas.

Also:

There were some that were detached and free floating in the Gulf :P

I think this could be considered a fair amount of damage, yes thats an oilrig jamed under a bridge...

#54 -Michael-

-Michael-

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 04:54 AM

Yes I suppose it could... I take back what I said earlier...

It's looking pretty bad down there... I feel bad, but I didn't know anybody there, if could help, I would, but I can't so lingering on isn't on my to do list.

#55 d7x

d7x

P2L Jedi

• Twodded Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 02:09 PM

some more info.

http://www.foxnews.c...,167781,00.html

"We are looking at 12 to 16 weeks before people can come in," Mayor Ray Nagin said on ABC's "Good Morning America, "and the other issue that's concerning me is have dead bodies in the water. At some point in time the dead bodies are going to start to create a serious disease issue."

Federal Emergency Management Agency director Mike Brown warned that structural damage to homes, diseases from animal carcasses and chemicals in floodwaters made it unsafe for residents to come home anytime soon.

It's currently impossible to even begin to estimate the death toll, however, he said. "This is unfortunately going to be a several-day effort until we truly know what the situation is," Rhode said.

Officials said they were also looking at a more audacious plan [to plug the levee]: finding a barge to plug the 500-foot hole.

It could take close to a month to get the water out of the city. If the water rises a few feet higher, it could also wipe out the water system for the whole city, said New Orleans' homeland security chief, Terry Ebbert.

The Pentagon is mobilizing possibly an unprecedented rescue-and-relief mission, sending Navy ships, Army helicopters and the USNS Comfort hospital ship from Baltimore. But the ships could take days to get to the Gulf Coast.

Looking very very bad... + the gas prices are rising like no tomorrow....

EDIT: 120 death toll right now in mississippi :lol:

Edited by d7x, 31 August 2005 - 02:19 PM.

#56 Jaymz

Jaymz

Retired P2L Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,104 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 02:24 PM

Here are some agencies accepting donations for victims

Cash Donations

American Red Cross (800) HELP NOW (435-7669) English; (800) 257-7575 Spanish

Operation Blessing (800) 436-6348

America's Second Harvest (800) 344-8070

To donate cash or volunteer

Adventist Community Services (800) 381-7171

Catholic Charities, USA (800) 919-9338

Christian Disaster Response (941) 956-5183 or (941) 551-9554

Christian Reformed World Relief Committee (800) 848-5818

Church World Service (800) 297-1516

Convoy of Hope (417) 823-8998

Lutheran Disaster Response (800) 638-3522

Mennonite Disaster Service (717) 859-2210

Nazarene Disaster Response (888) 256-5886

Presbyterian Disaster Assistance (800) 872-3283

Salvation Army (800) SAL-ARMY (725-2769)

Southern Baptist Convention -- Disaster Relief (800) 462-8657, ext. 6133

United Methodist Committee on Relief (800) 554-8583

#57 d7x

d7x

P2L Jedi

• Twodded Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 02:39 PM

Some good news finally! The flooding of NO has stopped!

#58 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 02:41 PM

http://www.redcross.org/

https://www.redcross...nation-form.asp

Site is extremely slow atm so be patient.

http://www.networkfo...e=CNN&cmpgn=CRS

http://www.cnn.com/2...e.us/index.html

I have these urls on my site, this is just wow I cannot believe how bad this has become.

#59 Stu

Stu

Retired P2L Staff

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 03:19 PM

death toll into the thousands apparently on BBC

#60 d7x

d7x

P2L Jedi

• Twodded Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 03:22 PM

for the city of New orleans only... thats insane.... im thinking the total death toll may go into the 5000's sadly :lol:, my heart goes out to the people who lost loved ones...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users