Ckristian

Honored X Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts
  • Interests:Programming...

Posted 04 October 2005 - 01:16 PM

Posted Image

Welcome to yet another 3D Competition :)

Model any vehicle in cartoon Style. You're free to model any common means of transport as long as it is done in cartoon style. :)

General Rules B)

• 1 Entry per person.
  • Any 3D program may be used.
  • Competition ends October 18 2005.
  • Must be started after the start of this competition.
  • Make sure your P2L id is mentioned somewhere on the submitted entry.
  • Please put your name on the entry picture somewhere

If you're unsure about the "cartoon style" part, take a look at that small banner on top ;)

Any queries/clarifications, feel free to post in the thread. :)

Good luck to all participants. :P B)

#2 Cephas

Cephas

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 272 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 01:22 PM

ah crap I don't like this one.

I'll just sit it out... btw you've said in the title this is 3D comp 11... it's comp 9... (should be IX no XI)

#3 Ckristian

Ckristian

Honored X Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 01:25 PM

ah crap I don't like this one.

I'll just sit it out... btw you've said in the title this is 3D comp 11... it's comp 9... (should be IX no XI)

Fixed :) And thanks for pointing it out. :P

#4 l3lueMage

l3lueMage

Wanna Be Moderator

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,603 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 01:32 PM

and what exactly is cartoon style to you? material that is just glossy and not detailed on a vehicle? and the vehicle with not much detail also? and can it be a make believe vehicle? or something?

Edited by l3lueMage, 04 October 2005 - 01:36 PM.

#5 chrillen

chrillen

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 01:49 PM

Not really what i wanted but i think im joining anyways since it does not seem like many people are joining this one. Which means that there are more possible votes for me :P
Why didnt we vote for theme? I still want pirate theme :)

#6 Ckristian

Ckristian

Honored X Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 02:19 PM

and what exactly is cartoon style to you? material that is just glossy and not detailed on a vehicle? and the vehicle with not much detail also? and can it be a make believe vehicle? or something?

It's pretty much open to interpretation - What's in the banner is just a small example (took me 15 mins to make) and I used default shaders.

Obviously you can add some fine details to your model - play around with the texturing and submit something original and creative.

Thought-up vehicles are allowed.

This is the best example I can show you. That's the kinda stuff we're looking at.

#7 l3lueMage

l3lueMage

Wanna Be Moderator

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,603 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 02:38 PM

Now that is awsome, I will make something this weekend when I have more time.

#8 austen

austen

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 910 posts
  • Interests:Web design, snowboarding (lots of it), Computer science related.

Posted 04 October 2005 - 03:35 PM

I actually think I might enter this one if I have the time this week! (I'm helping someone move to a new house so I might not) Good luck to all who enter!!

#9 CoryMathews

CoryMathews

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 11:26 PM

hey i might try to enter this one even though i pretty well suck at 3d but i like cartoon style. we will see how much time i can come up with for this one.

Edited by CoryMathews, 04 October 2005 - 11:27 PM.

#10 Mondo

Mondo

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 11:09 AM

Did I miss the “What to do next” poll?

#11 l3lueMage

l3lueMage

Wanna Be Moderator

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,603 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 11:25 AM

no, there was no poll for this one :(

#12 Mondo

Mondo

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 12:46 PM

How come we can’t have a say in the subject matter anymore? I can’t be the only one who looks forward to deciding what to do next.

#13 SHIVMOO

SHIVMOO

Honoured X Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 01:11 PM

this compo and the next compo will be done without a poll.. we will probably return to polls after that.

Edit : B) i have started a model for this... going to be going for the craziness of cartoons more than the way they are drawn simply ect :P

wacky races is my inspiration :ph34r:

#14 Mondo

Mondo

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 05:31 PM

With respect, Shivmoo, you didn’t answer my question of why we aren’t allowed to vote; no offence, but a cynic may suggest that yourself and Ckristian have simply decided what you want to do for this, and the next competitions, and have ignored everyone else’s opinion.

#15 l3lueMage

l3lueMage

Wanna Be Moderator

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,603 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 05:38 PM

I see a fight starting so lets just end this.

They have decided not to have a poll for the next two tournaments and thats their decision. My guess is because they are the one organizing the compitition so they want to do something of their own choice. In real life you usually dont even get to pick or even poll what a competition should be about, so be happy they set up a poll. And no one is forcing you to enter it anyways, you can also always make your own Compitition with a poll, no one is stopping you.

#16 BeaverElfeater

BeaverElfeater

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 06:04 PM

I see a fight starting so lets just end this.

They have decided not to have a poll for the next two tournaments and thats their decision. My guess is because they are the one organizing the compitition so they want to do something of their own choice. In real life you usually dont even get to pick or even poll what a competition should be about, so be happy they set up a poll. And no one is forcing you to enter it anyways, you can also always make your own Compitition with a poll, no one is stopping you.

nicely said. just wait for the 2 compos jeez.

#17 Mondo

Mondo

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 06:19 PM

I am certainly not looking for a fight; I have tried to voice my concerns as unconfrontationally as I could. I just felt that the spirit of the competition was that participation was as open as it could be, with a volunteer who administrated the competition (started polls, topics etc), the open voting ensured that the most generally appealing idea (based on abilities of participants, how interesting the idea is, etc) became the subject for the next competition, which in turn ensured a greater number of happier participants, amongst a generally greater number of participants, with all the benefits to P2L that brings. For one person to simply decide to circumvent the normal procedure, whether a mod or not is, in my opinion, against the spirit of this competition.

You are right, I don’t have to take part in this competition, and I could start one of my own, but I’m not just a spoilt child who’s going to run off in a strop because I didn’t get my own way; I still want to be part of this competition. I believe that we are all reasonable people and I understand that it is easy to make a decision which seems harmless, but has an effect we might not anticipate, which is what I think has happened here. All I’m doing is letting people know what I think, so we can discuss it openly.

#18 l3lueMage

l3lueMage

Wanna Be Moderator

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,603 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 07:12 PM

But then you also have to take into consideration the fact that they setup all these compititions on their own free will. And maybe they havent liked the poll choices so far so they decided to make two competitions one for CK to choose the topic, and one for SHIVMOO to choose the topic, thats why I am guessing there wont be a poll for two competitions.

#19 Jeepinator

Jeepinator

The Jeepinator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 08:59 PM

Does it really matter that there is no poll this time? I know that if I were trying to do this I might not like it. I know I'm not really a 3D guy but I enjoy fiddling around with the programs. These competitions will merely expand your knowlege and your creativity, even if the guidelines don't suit you.

#20 Nick M

Nick M

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 09:34 PM

Cant get in on this one im afraid. As im snowed under with some webpage design at the moment (Chucks dreamweaver out the window). But if i finish i might give it a small bash.

Good luck to all.

And on the note of know poll. If you look at all other compos they dont get polls very often. And its a good expierence for for the budding 3D designers of the future out there. As your boss in a job isnt very likely to ask you opinion on what you want to design next. He is more 100% more likely to tell you to do what the client wants.

So just think as P2L as your client and design away ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users