11 replies to this topic

#1 mbx5nitro

mbx5nitro

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 07:09 AM

Its been a while since i last worked on this site. I discided to start over because some of the comments bellow wernt the best. lol

I found a cool template online because i suck at designing and then threw in some of my newbie ColdFusion skills and made a fully working articles system and a comments system. Im working on the members system and a few others. Keep in mind i started this layout about 7hours ago so im not totaly done.

Let me know what you think and what can be changed on it. Also post some of the bugs you might find.

Thanks

MTBzu

Edited by mbx5nitro, 18 February 2006 - 01:37 AM.

#2 Jamie Huskisson

Jamie Huskisson

Retired P2L Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,648 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 07:52 AM

a couple of random thoughts:
- shadows on the corners are messed...
- admin link? why? do you want people to attempt to hack it?
- the font in the header makes no sense to me, its not readable and makes me think "whats this site??? i don't even know its name!!", change to something readable (remember, arial is always your friend)
- add some padding on the left/right of the content area, as the headers on news are hitting the edge, and it brings down the appearance somewhat
- Lastly, view your source.. it'll hit you straight away whats wrong with it. I'd also suggest a CSS based layout (This layout would be very simple to convert, and would make things alot easier for you)

#3 Fourjays

Fourjays

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 01:30 PM

I completely agree with the above.

#4 mbx5nitro

mbx5nitro

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 10:00 PM

a couple of random thoughts:
- shadows on the corners are messed...
- admin link? why? do you want people to attempt to hack it?
- the font in the header makes no sense to me, its not readable and makes me think "whats this site??? i don't even know its name!!", change to something readable (remember, arial is always your friend)
- add some padding on the left/right of the content area, as the headers on news are hitting the edge, and it brings down the appearance somewhat
- Lastly, view your source.. it'll hit you straight away whats wrong with it. I'd also suggest a CSS based layout (This layout would be very simple to convert, and would make things alot easier for you)

-I did the shadows in the corners like that because i just don't like smooth things and i dont know how to use photoshop that well.
- I put the admin link there to make it easy to get to the panel fast when testing. I should have deleted it. I forgot.
- I'll change the font. It just looked cool but now that you mention it, it is hard to read.
- I was working on adding padding to it but just didn't for some reason.
- In the source do you mean how it is layed out? Im using classes in PHP and i guess i did something wrong. Or do you mean the tables. I like divs but jus didnt use them this time.

#5 artcoder

artcoder

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 109 posts
  • Interests:Collecting videos at FunAndEducationalVideos.com

Posted 05 December 2005 - 11:49 PM

I do like the font used for "A Mountain Biker's Dream". And I do like the orange horizontal strip. The orange and blue works well together. They are good complementary colors.

On your "News" page, I would suggest some left padding. The text is right up on the edge of the page when view in IE6.0. I am also not too keen on the strikeout for the hover state of the menu. It would be nice to put an "selected" state for the menu so that users can know which page they are currently in.

At a glance, it is hard to figuring out the letters of the logo "mtbzu" as well as the tagline "accelerating isn't a first" due to the font shapes. And when I pause my mouse over the logo image expecting to see a tooltip spelling the words out, there was none. Hence you need an alt attribute and title attribute for that image.

#6 mbx5nitro

mbx5nitro

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 12:38 AM

I will most likly use that same font on the logo next. As for the alt attribute i will add that too.

The only reason i used blue and orange is because blue always looks good and orange is my favorite color.

#7 arcath

arcath

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 01:24 PM

The shadows are a bit out.....

#8 mbx5nitro

mbx5nitro

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 01:38 AM

I changed the site. Read my edit in the first post

#9 Hoot

Hoot

* Hooty Tooty Fruit *

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts
  • Interests:Making Websites, Working in 3D, Playing the Drums

Posted 18 February 2006 - 06:37 PM

personaly I think the faders on the sides are WAY to big/long.

Hoot

#10 mbx5nitro

mbx5nitro

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 07:15 PM

Any more comments.

http://www.mtbzu.com

#11 hobulus

hobulus

Jedi In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 05:18 AM

I think at first glance it is a very attractive, simplistic site. Well Done.
With some added tweaking and stuff you could make it into an excellent site, keep going!

Great work!
:blush:

#12 mbx5nitro

mbx5nitro

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 04:40 PM

Thanks,

I did find the template online but i will get a good high quality picture to replace the leaf in the middle.

This will mainly be my personal site somewhat like Jay's. I am using ColdFusion on the site because i wanted to learn it. I will make a php version soon and maybe even an ASP version. Just learning new coding techniques

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users