20 replies to this topic

#1 reznamac

reznamac

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 01:38 PM

Im a little frustrated with the whole search engine thing. I did a search for "NJ ware hous ing" in google and I find a site to be a little unfair with how they got to the top. They keyword spam, the site is www.brook warehouse.com (take out the space in the url for it to work). If you notice the bottom on the page is just a table of repeated keywords.

Is this legal? If so how is it legal? If not what can I do?

Edited by reznamac, 15 December 2005 - 12:10 PM.

#2 SKETCHi

SKETCHi

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 03:49 PM

It is legal. But it's a lame attempt at keyword saturation.

Keyword saturation is a very good tool for raising your search rank. Using keywords in paragraphs as often as you can without making it unreadable by your viewers. However, this company took a different approach, since they are using a Flash based website.

Search engines couldn't care less about keywords, or any text at all in Flash. So the webmaster decided to place that table there.

If he was smarter, he would have made them all H1.

Anyway, yes, I'm pretty certain it is perfectly legal.

Edited by SKETCHi, 05 December 2005 - 03:51 PM.

#3 Chaos King

Chaos King

Senior Programmer

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 09:07 PM

If i can remember clearly, this is called "Google Hacking". Some people do it on purpose in order to get up their page rank like what SKETCHi said, but sometimes, it is the search engine's fault. It all depends. Sometimes the search engine causes itself to do that without the user's actions, its just one of those wierd things. ;)

#4 Stu

Stu

Retired P2L Staff

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 09:23 PM

do they not sometimes catch up with people who are using bad words and then kill thier ranking? unless im thinking of something else...

#5 SKETCHi

SKETCHi

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 11:28 PM

I could look into this a bit more, I'm not exactly an expert by any means. Google may look down on this, which they probably do. It may be one of those things which will get your website banned from the search engine.

However, I couldn't think of any legallity issues with this. The main legal issues for online publishing would be copyright laws. I'm unsure of any laws regarding abusive keyword saturation.

#6 reznamac

reznamac

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 03:37 PM

I could look into this a bit more, I'm not exactly an expert by any means. Google may look down on this, which they probably do. It may be one of those things which will get your website banned from the search engine.

However, I couldn't think of any legallity issues with this. The main legal issues for online publishing would be copyright laws. I'm unsure of any laws regarding abusive keyword saturation.

Thanks for the replys. I redid this companys website to use H1's H2's H3's and H4's hopefully this will boost www.amstar.us up in the "NJ Trucking" & "NJ Warehouse" Search. Right now there not even in the top 200 on google or yahoo. If you guys have any suggestions on the website that could boost me, please tell. I've read just about ever SEO thing in the last 3 days, I think im going crazy. I even had dreams last night about it (Very sad) lol :wacko: .

Edited by reznamac, 06 December 2005 - 03:42 PM.

#7 adam123

adam123

Retired P2L Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,306 posts
  • Interests:Programming and stuff.

Posted 07 December 2005 - 05:31 PM

do they not sometimes catch up with people who are using bad words and then kill thier ranking? unless im thinking of something else...

As far as i know, that's quite true, except search engines usually just ban them from the listings completely

#8 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 07:36 PM

Actually, keyword spamming is against Google terms... along with many other stupid old SEO tricks that have been around for ages that are pretty lame.

Dan

#9 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 12:13 AM

If you fill this out:

http://www.google.co...spamreport.html

That's how you report them. :D

#10 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 12:46 AM

http://www.google.ca.../en/webmasters/

And that's where you find the dos and don'ts of Google in terms of how to get in trouble when you're listed with them.

Dan

#11 Diagnostic

Diagnostic

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 01:53 PM

I've noticed this searching for "important" things before lol.

#12 jrs

jrs

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 10:02 AM

fo shizzle it's legal :P why shouldnt it be ;)

#13 Mickoe

Mickoe

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 12:02 AM

I think that it could be perceived like keyword spamming by google.

#14 Sanzo

Sanzo

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 12:32 PM

No it's not legal :blink:
that's black hat and google will see you as a spammer, so it wil ban you if it notice it.

Edited by Sanzo, 18 April 2006 - 12:33 PM.

#15 DoctorPhotoshop

DoctorPhotoshop

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 01:04 AM

I must admit, this is a clever web master. You think the site is a flash site, and then it saturates with keywords. BUT you gotta admit, he loses all his search friendlyness with the flash!

#16 Hayden

Hayden

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 10:16 AM

they probably have that because their entire site is flash based. seeing as the GoogleBot is unable to read the site in the flash, they added the keywords about their site in the hidden text so that the spider bots can index their site correctly. Yes, technically it may not be legit, but if you were going to do a flash site what would you do to resolve that issue. ;)

#17 xis

xis

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 02:16 AM

Back in the day (late 90's) we used to do this and make "door way" pages. We would make somewhere around 1000 doorway pages a day and flood them with keyword's. The best way at the time was to take a story or something like that and replace "the" with your desired keyword. This is of course a long dead method now. Google and all the other top SE's have systems in place to combat this.

Also, I should mention that we would hide this from the general public or cloning the sites. The end users would see one thing and the SE's bot's would see something else. Forgive me for not going into too much detail here :)

Anyway, legal is the wrong word here. It's just something that google will catch very quickly and ban that URL soon, if they haven't already.

I should mention that when this was actually a working method that worked about 90% of time you would also just need to submit your site to webcrawler one time and within 24 hours your site was ranked in the top 10.

lol, the good o'd day's I tell ya.

#18 rhys_works

rhys_works

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 02:04 PM

Back in the day (late 90's) we used to do this and make "door way" pages. We would make somewhere around 1000 doorway pages a day and flood them with keyword's. The best way at the time was to take a story or something like that and replace "the" with your desired keyword. This is of course a long dead method now. Google and all the other top SE's have systems in place to combat this.

Also, I should mention that we would hide this from the general public or cloning the sites. The end users would see one thing and the SE's bot's would see something else. Forgive me for not going into too much detail here :)

Anyway, legal is the wrong word here. It's just something that google will catch very quickly and ban that URL soon, if they haven't already.

I should mention that when this was actually a working method that worked about 90% of time you would also just need to submit your site to webcrawler one time and within 24 hours your site was ranked in the top 10.

lol, the good o'd day's I tell ya.

Similarly, back in the day there were some really simple ways of fooling the topsite listings to just spam hits without getting logged as a single user. Ah, joy. Of course, i wouldn't advise anyone trying this, i was afterall about 12 at the time.

#19 Mark

Mark

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 04:30 PM

There are no legality issues with this, its just that the website could be banned from some search engines. It's a bad idea, too. There are better, more useful ways to SEO.

#20 PimpMyCom

PimpMyCom

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 08:49 AM

legal...yes it is perfectly legal, but not smart to do because of what Mark has said "its just that the website could be banned from some search engines" and also because it makes the website look....well i cant think of the word but something like "sketch" i personally would not trust a website with keywords all over.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users