How long is your computer running?

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

Poll: How long do you keep your computer running? (81 member(s) have cast votes)

Pick one

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 _*Speed_*

_*Speed_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2005 - 01:58 AM

How long do you guys leave your computer running? Ive read in some articles that leaving your computer on for an extended amount of time is actually good for the pc because it maintains a normal temperature(in normal conditions). They say turning off your computer every night and turning it back on does more harm to the computer. On another note, if you leave your computer on too long, you could be cutting down the life span of your computer in 1/2.

In my opnion, it is wise to have those cpu temperature checking programs that will tell you if the temperature of the cpu/motherboard/hard drive is in critical conditions.

A program that measures cpu temperature is Speed Fan. More info about that program can be found here

#2 syntex

syntex

P2L Staff

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts
  • Interests:Poetry, Photography, Music, My Band, Guitar and out of my mind experiences.

Posted 06 December 2005 - 02:02 AM

I turn it off every night unless im downloading something important then ill leave it on until the morning.

#3 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 02:13 AM

Pretty sure we had this once before.

I rarely turn our PC's off (reboot once a month if that, been doing that for yrs) and I would never use nor have any use for that program you posted. If you have a good motherboard and CPU you don't need to check them. As for leaving them on all the time and cutting the lifespan where on earth did you come up with that crazy notion lol.

And thats a load of baloney it does your PC damage all it does is save a little on your power bill.

#4 Silwolffe

Silwolffe

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 02:24 AM

Hehe, Donna you're so cute. ^^;

I usually reboot my computer once every three to five days. A reboot here and there is good for it.

#5 _*Speed_*

_*Speed_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2005 - 02:32 AM

Baloney? Read this, http://www.pcguide.c...werOnOff-c.html. It is VERY bad to turn on your computer during the day, and then turn it off at night. There are pros and cons to all this. But I believe there are more pros than cons. The main factor is not to fluctuate PC core temperatures, as articles have stated, the contractions caused by heat wears the system down.

I have a P4N Diamond mother board SLI nVidia nForce, and a 3.2 gig intel pentium D processor, and both are very good equipment. Yet the motherboard comes with addition features such as nTune, which logs every temperature change in the system, and has built in applications that will shutdown the system once the "maximum capacity" has been reached(temperature wise). So I guess you are right that you dont need to check them, because it does checks for you.

#6 Silwolffe

Silwolffe

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 02:36 AM

Damn Speed, I envy your hardware.

Mine is really in need of a serious RAM upgrade. :)

#7 adam123

adam123

Retired P2L Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,306 posts
  • Interests:Programming and stuff.

Posted 06 December 2005 - 02:44 AM

Never heard of thermal stress before :S i've turned my computer of every night for the last 2 years and it's still working lol

#8 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 02:52 AM

Did you notice the date on that article :huh: 2001 its the end of 2005 now :) things change in 4yrs and like he states: You need to decide for yourself what decisions you want to make about your PCs. And to prove this guy very wrong my first ever PC still works and the monitor too so whats the lifespan I wonder as I even know people that have PC's from the early 80's and still run, makes you wonder who the experts are.

For those that have no PC sense then I would say follow someones advice. But I'm yet to see the Cons.

=========

Off topic but my PC is being fitted with a new motherboard and cpu in Jan so it will allow me 4GB's

#9 d7x

d7x

P2L Jedi

• Twodded Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 06 December 2005 - 06:34 AM

my computer never gets turned off :huh: i might do a reboot once a month.

#10 iPod

iPod

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 07:43 AM

I recharge my mp3players all the time so my computer is always up and running..
I turn it off when I am not at home though.

#11 PSgirl

PSgirl

P2L Staff

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 10:13 AM

I have it on when I'm at home but not all the time, but well, i'ts a laptop, so I try not to have it working all the time because of the temperature.

#12 Bryn

Bryn

Spammer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts
  • Interests:Music, Philosophy, Design, History, Reading, Writing, The Weekend etc...

Posted 06 December 2005 - 11:01 AM

I turn off every night... saves electricity and I doubt leaving it on will do much just cost you more...

#13 l3lueMage

l3lueMage

Wanna Be Moderator

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,603 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 02:37 PM

I leave mine on, only reboot when something that I install demands a reboot, or my cd drive goes out on me...so about once every 2-3 weeks, other than that its always on.

#14 Cheyne

Cheyne

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 04:21 PM

I reboot every 2-3 days whenever I remember to.

#15 Av-

Av-

I Feel Left Out

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 04:25 PM

it turn it off every night,
the noise will drive me crazy at night if i leave it on

#16 dEcade

dEcade

P2L Staff

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,850 posts
  • Interests:Guitar, Programming, Storm Chasing, Games (Designing and playing), Hockey, Photography

Posted 06 December 2005 - 04:36 PM

I turn mine on in the morrning and shut them off at night, we have 3 computers and I have seen no problem... Sure maybe its bad, but why did they make a turn off button then?

dEcade

#17 ThaBirdman

ThaBirdman

Pidgeon Trainer

• Twodded Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 05:24 PM

Yea, my iMac G5 has chronically loud fans, so i can sleep i have it on an automatic shutdown for 12:00 midnight (which i many times override :rolleyes:) and startup for 2:30pm so its on wehn i get home from school.

#18 Jeepinator

Jeepinator

The Jeepinator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 06:41 PM

Pretty sure we had this once before.

I rarely turn our PC's off (reboot once a month if that, been doing that for yrs) and I would never use nor have any use for that program you posted. If you have a good motherboard and CPU you don't need to check them. As for leaving them on all the time and cutting the lifespan where on earth did you come up with that crazy notion lol.

And thats a load of baloney it does your PC damage all it does is save a little on your power bill.

Donna some people have their PC's overclocked and keeping track of the temp is vital to getting the maximum performance out of the processor. But for the person with say, a dell, then yeah you are right you don't really need a temp monitor.

I turn my PC off at night sometimes, otherwise I have it set to turn off harddrives and monitor in 30 mins after I last used it and then standby, which is pretty much shut down. I turn it off b/c I hate having my graphics card fan spinning all the time. It makes a little whine like a jet lol.

#19 l3lueMage

l3lueMage

Wanna Be Moderator

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,603 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 06:57 PM

it turn it off every night,
the noise will drive me crazy at night if i leave it on

XD my computer is completly silent, if you go completly silent and try hearing it, its like....a very slight humm noise, you barely notice it even when it is completly silent, plus the cars that go by completly cover the noise of the computer so Yea... :rolleyes:

#20 BeaverElfeater

BeaverElfeater

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 07:00 PM

unless i need to reboot, for an installation, or if my computer gets all funky and slow from my many applications up, i barely every turn off my computer for more than an hour, it would be safe to say i havent turned off my computer within a month, and it would be more if wilma didnt come and knock out power

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users