4 replies to this topic

#1 groog

groog

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 07:05 AM

I've tried to make a website before but it just didn't come out how I pictured it! Then I started wondering what all the really big sites and the professionaly done sites do to make their site fit together so perfectly! The hardest part for me is when I get to the text part, puting in information and stuff. It just didn't fit! I couldn't get the tables and stuff to work. Then I heard about skinning and stuff and am wondering, how do I do it! I'd say I know a fair amount about html, I'm not new to it, I just never figuered out how to make skins. I'm not even sure if skinning is really what I need to do to make the vision in my head work, but I've done so many thing and can't figuer it out!

Oh, and I don't have photoshop, I do have CorelDRAW 10 and tried to make a layout on that but I don't know if it's the right program for that kind of thing and every site i've seen done by CorelDRAW sucks!

But anyway, can sombody help me with this. I think it's skinning what I'm looking for but I'm not entirly sure.

#2 rc69

rc69

PHP Master PD

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,827 posts
  • Interests:Web Development

Posted 02 February 2006 - 07:37 PM

You should hope faken doesn't see this... all he's used for the past 10 or so years is corel draw for his web design stuff.

But, i would like a clairfication. When you say:

Then I started wondering what all the really big sites and the professionaly done sites do to make their site fit together so perfectly! The hardest part for me is when I get to the text part, puting in information and stuff. It just didn't fit!

What do you mean? How the colors and everything look good? How the text stands out and is readable, or is simply there?

My simple answer would be, it's got little to do with the programs. You just need to know what you're doing in the program, and have a nice creative mind to get a nice looking template.
Now, if you're having HTML problems, that's a different story.

#3 groog

groog

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 06:46 PM

Sorry I took so long getting back to this but-

The problem is getting my text and links into my site. I want it to look nice, neat and have a big thick border around it (like P2L, see the blue borders around everything on the main page.) When I start adding the text I don't know how to do it, I litteraly meant I couldn't get it to fit. tables were all over the place and it looked just plain cruddy and crounded with images (not to mention it was very confusing)! I want it to be similar to the pixel2life website (I know my limits as far as skill and abilities though, I'm not one of those newb wana-bies)

But anyway. I tried giving my body borders using images (like make sides, corners, top, bottom border images but it gets really difficult that way and I don't know what length I want because I don't know what i'll be putting in my site just yet. But when I checked to see if thats what p2l did (by right clicking on the borders you will usually see stuff like- save picture as and stuff like that.) the border was just part of the background. I want to know how that was done because it seems easyer if I had the borders and stuff in the background and all I had to do was just add text and links and stuff.

I hope that answers your question and it wasn't too confusing.

#4 rc69

rc69

PHP Master PD

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,827 posts
  • Interests:Web Development

Posted 04 February 2006 - 11:45 PM

Ok, that clears things up a bit. If you have a good feel for html like you say, you shouldn't have to many problems figuring out backgrounds.

Basically, it sounds to me like you sliced your site in photoshop (or some other program), and tried just throwing text in there without any other modification. This is a typical problem people run into when using photoshop, i'd recommend searching the forums for a while and seeing what all was done to fix their problems.
Link <- This should be a good start.

p.s. I believe when you say "skining", you mean "slicing", which is the typical term you would hear around here :)

#5 _*Kamilla122_*

_*Kamilla122_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2016 - 12:42 PM

Thank you for good communication.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users