• PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 11:23 AM

Majority of suggestions above are already in IPB

IPB does all of these:

Postcount not increase
No post count
Friends list in user CPanel
As many sub forums as u want. sub of sub of sub forum for example.
DOUBLE POST PREVENTION! lol, if user posts twice auto merge them.
sig auto resize if to maximim size if bigger
do not allow avatar on or sig if bigger than file limit, even if link to offsite.
Easy skinning system
expandable topics like invision.
Being able to Ban IP OR MAC ADDRESS...I hate spammers that keep coming back because they are dialup o.o;
For those that use Portals, have an already built in option for a portal..
- The ability not to have sigs at all, that no users can have images in signatures.
- A "Fast Reply"-function like in these forums.
- A "Admin comment"-function, so the admin can add a comment to a post in stead of editing.
- Auto-reply in certain forums, like if somebody posts in the forum "Introduce yourself", a bot can insert a message containing "Please read our rules, enjoy your stay, blablabla".
- A function that disables certain bb-functions in some subforums, like if you don't want images in a forum, but instead a link to the picture.
- If somebody breaks a rule, like typing a dirty word or something, send a PM to the user either with a warning or just to inform them. There should also be a counter - if the user breaks rules a lot of times, both their username and IP should be blocked from the forums.
- Locked forums, only available to users, moderators, admins, etc.

As Invision is a large Company, I am not sure on the copyrights of adding any of those but I do know you can do all of this and more in IPB now so you should check with them, because all of those suggestions would be cloning current software already established.

#22 Jamie Huskisson

Jamie Huskisson

Retired P2L Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,648 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 12:16 PM

IPB don't own any copyrights towards features... it'd be ridiculous to be able to copyright a feature of a piece of forum software

Personally my ideal forum would be a basic one which you can integrate with your own user system very easily.. I think it's something that hasn't been done yet and there's a big market it for it

#23 dEcade

dEcade

P2L Staff

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,850 posts
  • Interests:Guitar, Programming, Storm Chasing, Games (Designing and playing), Hockey, Photography

Posted 30 April 2006 - 03:48 PM

One of the main things I am planning on designing it so that you can integrate it into your site easily with out a portal.

I also agree that it would be ridiculous to copyright all those features. It's like designing a forum with all of the features anyone could think of and copyrighting all of them...

I am not really looking for features from other forums; it's more just what people what in a forum, kind of like democracy, government by the people for the people, Forums by the people for the people... lol

dEcade

#24 Hoot

Hoot

* Hooty Tooty Fruit *

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts
  • Interests:Making Websites, Working in 3D, Playing the Drums

Posted 01 May 2006 - 08:52 PM

We are planning on working another feature into the forums, when you install WingBB you will get an option for a complete install or a split forums, what this means is if you want your forum connected with another site (for example if you have a network with different domains etc) you will beable to connect two boards together and also have different skins.

Installing:
The user who would have the database on there server would do a complete install and get everything set up.

The user who will connect with them will only do a split forums install (basicly connects the data together) and then they will be linked. We still will need to work some parts out but thats the plan :P

Hoot

#25 l3lueMage

l3lueMage

Wanna Be Moderator

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,603 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 09:58 PM

You should also make it so people can make their own blog on the forums, like 13dots does also.

#26 Av-

Av-

I Feel Left Out

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 05:22 AM

What i think is you should create an uber simple forum, easily moddable, then create a big ass mod database on your site, so people can include what they want in their forums, instead of having all the pointless crap they dont want.

#27 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 09:24 AM

What i think is you should create an uber simple forum, easily moddable, then create a big ass mod database on your site, so people can include what they want in their forums, instead of having all the pointless crap they dont want.

Mods are old as I see it and cause lots of problems, components would be better.

#28 dEcade

dEcade

P2L Staff

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,850 posts
  • Interests:Guitar, Programming, Storm Chasing, Games (Designing and playing), Hockey, Photography

Posted 02 May 2006 - 05:57 PM

Yea, I agree with Donna. Personaly I would like to have it all of the forums and then be able to select what I want or don't want. It’s just easier on people.

dEcade

#29 Hoot

Hoot

* Hooty Tooty Fruit *

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 08:04 PM

I agree with Donna too, anyway we are planning on having two skins that will by default always come with the download, a simple one and the one we have previews of. So then you can get the best of both worlds :)

Hoot

#30 Indigo

Indigo

Official Alien

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • Interests:Computing in general, especially design and programming of all kinds.

Posted 03 May 2006 - 01:06 PM

Thought of another thing:
- A function that grabs all new entrys in a database and automaticly posts them in the forum. If you got a database with the rows 'title' and 'article', there should be some way to make the forum to create a new topic and get the title from 'title' and the text from 'article'.

#31 Hoot

Hoot

* Hooty Tooty Fruit *

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 05:19 PM

Indigo please explaine more on MSN or here doesn't matter which ever one.

Hoot

#32 dEcade

dEcade

P2L Staff

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 04:45 PM

Yea, please explain a little more because all of the entries into the database are automatically posted unless you have it set so that you have to approve the post first.

dEcade

#33 Aussiestinger

Aussiestinger

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 270 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 06:15 PM

To me it sounded like automatically making a thread when you post a news thing on the main site, for example, if a tutorial was posted on a site, it automatically makes a thread with the title and post of that tutorials -_- more then likely wrong though.

#34 Osmosae

Osmosae

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 09:18 AM

Allow XUP registrations. It speeds up the process so much. Read More Here

For those of you who dont want to read about it and havent heard about it, this is basicly what it is. It's a small XML file containing profile information about you that can be used to quickly and easily signup to a site. You store it on your server, and link to it when signing up. Its extremely handy as you can just edit this 1 file, and it updates all your profiles that you've linked to it.

The ability to use flash avatars aswell as signatures, i dont know why this isnt in more boards.

The ability to deactivate post counts for admins or staff.

All of Indigo points i agree with (had started typing stuff but realised he had said them already :()

Most of these (though not all) i believe should be additions (mods, blocks, components, functions, bricks, cement, lino flooring) whatever you want to call them. I'd rather spend 3 days installing everything i want to a board than 3 years figuring out if an how i can remove something from a forum because its plain useless, and taking up space (such as a cash or points system - for me he he)

#35 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 10:11 AM

The ability to use flash avatars aswell as signatures, i dont know why this isnt in more boards.

Maybe they know the dangers of using Flash/Swishmax and the nasty scripts that can be embedded inside them.

#36 Indigo

Indigo

Official Alien

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • Interests:Computing in general, especially design and programming of all kinds.

Posted 12 May 2006 - 12:25 PM

To me it sounded like automatically making a thread when you post a news thing on the main site, for example, if a tutorial was posted on a site, it automatically makes a thread with the title and post of that tutorials :P more then likely wrong though.

Correct!
I can explain more to you guys over MSN if you still don't get it :)

#37 Hoot

Hoot

* Hooty Tooty Fruit *

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 01:01 PM

Maybe they know the dangers of using Flash/Swishmax and the nasty scripts that can be embedded inside them.

yeah thats probably the reason lots of forums do not have that, WingBB may but it will clearly state that it could be a security risk, but I will have to talk to dEcade about that.

Osmosae we could probably work the XML in :D
but I don't think we are going to have the mods like that, most of the features will be built in because (stated earlier) if you have mods it sometimes it makes updating hell.

Hoot

Edited by Hoot, 13 May 2006 - 01:02 PM.

#38 Osmosae

Osmosae

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 01:54 PM

I'm well aware of the dangers :D, you could however assign groups to allow this, have a request to use feature monitered by admins etc. Fairly easily overcome really :D.

No worries hoot just shouting out some ideas that sprung to mind. I really like the xml files think they should be worked into more things very handy to update all profiles at once. One question, i realise having mods installed into boards makes upgrading a pain in the .... but are you planning on not having mods for the board at all ? And having most things preinstalled ? This is my biggest gripe with more prepackaged scripts (forums/cms'/templates etc) i dont need many of the things preinstalled and it just becomes bloatware to me, needing alot of time (and in most cases knowledge i dont have ^_^ ) to tidy up

EDIT: To show you what i mean, some of the things i dont need in a forum which is in wingsbb (not saying they should be taken out, i just personally would have no use for them):
Password Protected Forums/Sub Forums - Passwords are easily given out, set by username is a better example, i know multiple users can log in to a username, but atleast you can track that through ip's.
Cash System - i just dont use these.
Link Settings - i think admins should set this not users, i personally dont want a forum link opening over my website.
Word Censor - i dont currently or ever intend to run a creche, users must be over 13 to sign up and by then they probably know as many if not more curse words than me anways lol

Of course i realise that most of these things are extremely minute, and what isnt is labeled (switch) enabling me to turn it off, but its coding is still in my structure, lengthening the code for no reason (for me). These i mean as examples for future things, i was i must admit struggling (except for 1 or two things) to find things to take out, but under decades sig it says wingbb 3% of course i dont think this updates itself exactly, but i do assume that it isnt very close to completion currently, and that more things are to be added, this is what this is based off if you understand me ?

Edited by Osmosae, 13 May 2006 - 02:07 PM.

#39 Hoot

Hoot

* Hooty Tooty Fruit *

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 02:26 PM

Most of these will be added. Keep the ideas coming ;)

Hoot

#40 BigDog

BigDog

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 277 posts
  • Interests:Running, building computers, PC games and BMX and programming.

Posted 15 May 2006 - 09:32 PM

Not sure if this is said, but to be able to intergrate it with other forums. So i can import from IPB or VB ( all members and threads)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users