• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 austen

austen

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 910 posts
  • Interests:Web design, snowboarding (lots of it), Computer science related.

Posted 15 February 2006 - 07:14 PM

Hey guys, well, I'm trying to post this again, since it didn't go through first time grrrr... it's been a while since I've done anything in web design but my uncle wanted me to do him up a site which I've finally started...

It's on my server at the moment, and this is the only site on there :D
Go here: J&J's Affordable Furniture

What I was going for:
  • Simplicity
  • Color scheme (same as store)
  • Quick load times
  • Compliance in XHTML and CSS
I think I did what I was shooting for fairly well, let me know what you guys think!
Feel free to critique code and/or design guys, thanks again!

-austen

Edited by austen, 15 February 2006 - 11:44 PM.

#2 meadow

meadow

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 224 posts
  • Interests:Php, Hockey, mysql, web design.

Posted 16 February 2006 - 03:59 AM

It seems to fit your criteria very well, I like the colour scheme, and it loads very fast, well done.

#3 hobulus

hobulus

Jedi In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 06:10 AM

NIce fast load times! That makes it a plus!
Very simple and plain, it all works well.
Think maybe you could dpend a little more time on the banner though!
:D

#4 Mooey

Mooey

Retired P2L Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  • Interests:http://500px.com/mikeholman
    http://holmanmedia.net

Posted 16 February 2006 - 08:31 AM

I think the green over powers everything and it becomes distracting. It makes reading the content hard.

Just my opinion though dude :D

#5 austen

austen

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 09:18 AM

I think the green over powers everything and it becomes distracting. It makes reading the content hard.

Just my opinion though dude :D

Yeah, I was thinking that for a second, but I mentioned it to the store owner and he said he really liked it how it was... thanks for all the opinions guys!!

oh, and @hobulus - I would I guess add some more stuff, but it's a site for an established furniture store in my local area so.... unless you had any suggestions?

Edit: If this site looks a little bit wack in any browsers, PLEASE let me know.... there might be something I forgot to do etc in css that might cause this, but on IE on my machine it looks exactly like firefox soo... (which wasn't exactly easy though)

-austen

Edited by austen, 16 February 2006 - 09:20 AM.

#6 greg

greg

Jedi In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 499 posts
  • Interests:Fine art, web and graphic design, naval architecture, chess, and sports.

Posted 16 February 2006 - 09:36 AM

I agree that the saturated green background is harsh on the eyes. I use 1280x1024px screen resolution at home, so almost half of the screen is bright green. In effect--as mentioned--it's pretty hard to read the body text.

The fact that the owner likes it doesn't make up for the fact that it's hard to read. You have to please the visitors as well as the owner.

#7 austen

austen

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 04:01 PM

I agree that the saturated green background is harsh on the eyes. I use 1280x1024px screen resolution at home, so almost half of the screen is bright green. In effect--as mentioned--it's pretty hard to read the body text.

The fact that the owner likes it doesn't make up for the fact that it's hard to read. You have to please the visitors as well as the owner.

I think the fact that the owner likes it does make up for something, ever heard of "the customer is always right?" Thanks for the comments guys.

#8 greg

greg

Jedi In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 499 posts
  • Interests:Fine art, web and graphic design, naval architecture, chess, and sports.

Posted 16 February 2006 - 07:50 PM

So you couldn't care less about whether or not the content you're producing is even readable? Sounds like you're just saying, "Who cares if anybody can read this or not, I just want to call this done and get it over with."

#9 austen

austen

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 11:40 PM

So you couldn't care less about whether or not the content you're producing is even readable? Sounds like you're just saying, "Who cares if anybody can read this or not, I just want to call this done and get it over with."

No, that's not what I meant to say at all. What I meant was that the client should have a large say in the outcome of the project, they are after all the one paying for it, and if they don't like it, they won't keep you as a designer for long. I plan on adding some modifications to that area to make everything more readable though I was just stating that it's the client's site, things go their way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users