• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

#1 Indigo

Indigo

Official Alien

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • Interests:Computing in general, especially design and programming of all kinds.

Posted 16 March 2006 - 11:01 AM

So, I saw this forum isn't for promoting tutorialsites and such, but since this site does not contain any, I thought it was ok to post it. If not, will somebody just remove the post and send me a PM to notify me?

My new site will be something quite huge, it will be my blogg and personal portfolio and playground, together with a community, a help section for others and a great place to find both quality tutorials and articles. Here's my design:
loveanyone

Any critique appreciated ;)

#2 l3lueMage

l3lueMage

Wanna Be Moderator

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,603 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 08:37 PM

I like it alot, no critiques here, I like how you set it up and the colours...I also like your question mark ^^

#3 austen

austen

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 910 posts
  • Interests:Web design, snowboarding (lots of it), Computer science related.

Posted 16 March 2006 - 10:04 PM

I like it alot, no critiques here, I like how you set it up and the colours...I also like your question mark ^^

That pretty much sums it up.

-austen

#4 Wybe

Wybe

Jedi In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 401 posts
  • Interests:I have no interests

Posted 17 March 2006 - 04:28 AM

I think the image on the left, like [edit: one paper (the other one is a shadow)] sticking out of a pile, is very original and adds a great value to your design :) It looks awesome, and should provide a mighty good start for your site.

Good luck,
Wybe

Edited by Wybe, 17 March 2006 - 04:29 AM.

#5 Hoot

Hoot

* Hooty Tooty Fruit *

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts
  • Interests:Making Websites, Working in 3D, Playing the Drums

Posted 17 March 2006 - 09:26 AM

Great look, very unique! I love the wood background I think it goes well with the site :)

Hoot

#6 Indigo

Indigo

Official Alien

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • Interests:Computing in general, especially design and programming of all kinds.

Posted 17 March 2006 - 10:47 AM

Oh, I didn't expect this. Can't you be a bit mean and critique a bit?^^
I feel there's something wrong with it, but can't really point out what. Is it too plastic/glossy-like?

About what Wybe said, I really like this feature too, but there's a catch - when my content expand, it looks really crappy. Try a printscreen, copy and paste in Photohop and try to extend the main box (where the text is). It doesn't look all that good, does it?

For any tips for improvement, please tell me!

#7 evolvingsolutions

evolvingsolutions

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 127 posts
  • Interests:Photoshop<br>ASP<br>PHP<br>FLASH<br>AI<br>HTML<br>CSS<br>NETWORKING<br>COMPUTER TROUBLE SHOOTING<br>

Posted 17 March 2006 - 11:13 AM

The wood texture in the bottom right seems a little out of place , and the starburst shape or whatever it is in the top right of the content box seems a little to filling , maybe replace it with something?

However the layout and flow is so nice minus what I listed above.

also under the professional section where you are talking about it --

near the beginning of the description you have DO instead of DOES

Edited by evolvingsolutions, 17 March 2006 - 11:17 AM.

#8 Dumb Genius

Dumb Genius

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 12:00 PM

I don't like the background image that does not really match with the rest of the layout. Otherwise it's quite good. :)

#9 l3lueMage

l3lueMage

Wanna Be Moderator

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,603 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 03:34 PM

I feel there's something wrong with it, but can't really point out what. Is it too plastic/glossy-like?

Thats what I like about it, for some reason I like shiny/glossy stuff :)

#10 Indigo

Indigo

Official Alien

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 04:32 PM

Thanks again for reply everybody!
The background-image will be replaced with another one, but still wooden texture.

This might not even end up being my final design, as I will develop systems myselft and might have some implementation-issues. I'll eventually post later.

Btw, just so I know it for sure: If I add tutorials and such to my site, should I take a Printscreen of it and post that here, or is it okay to post tutorialsites as long as I wish critique on my design?

#11 l3lueMage

l3lueMage

Wanna Be Moderator

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,603 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 07:21 PM

I have no idea what you just asked, could you rephrase it?

#12 Wybe

Wybe

Jedi In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 03:56 PM

Allright, you want me to be mean eh? Really, the site looks awesome so I'll have to take one of my microscopes and search for the really tiny details.

As for the glossy issue, the glossyness is sublte enough. The site itself is pink and well anti-aliased where it needs to be. To me the pink and glossyness radiate some kind of "Barbie" factor. Though it may not be as much Barbie as euphoria. I think you should keep it this way.

You have two seperate menus on the right which is a really good idea for the frontpage, to keep the two main sections of your site clearly seperated. However, once a visitor is browsing say the "professional" part, he/she is less likely to be also equally interested in the "personal" part, simply because that's what he/she did not come to your site for. It works the other way around too, ofcourse. So, because of that maybe it is an idea to not show the one kind of menu when browsing the other "side" of your site. As for on the frontpage, the two menus like you have now are ideal.

The description under the menus are a tad long. I haven't read them, because they're too long compared to the lets say maximum of importance they could bear. I figure if you cut them back to maybe only one of two sentences (a few lines) they'd make their message more clear. Or, you could bring them a little more to the background by for example lightening the font a little so they're not as noticable as they are now :)

A tiny bug, when it says in your copyright message at the bottom of a page "For requests, questions, broken links, permissions or other, please contact me", the "contact me" hyperlink has a pink background, which makes it appear like one of the menu's hyperlinks but also completely out of style for a copyright message. Also, its come just out of the white <div> (haven't really looked at your source code though) that contains everything. *blaat* now I notice you've applied the same thing to your username above the post it displays. Maybe it's something intentional :)

I figure now we've had that I might just as well make you aware of an idea that I just got to cheer up the site just a little bit more: play with the fonts a little bit. The tiny Arial letters are fine for tiny letters (though they are a wee bit hard to read, but personally I dont like Arial very large, it just looks so plain and boring. You're ofcourse using a large lettering in the post header. Maybe you should try sometime to see how that header would look in another kind of font, for example Georgia which is useable for this because it's a very common font. Maybe you wanted to use Arial there because it fits with the (very good) logo you've made, but the heading text in Arial is hard to make it look the same because the letters don't get that bold (I think) nor can you dynamically divide the header into two colours without some PHP hassle.

I guess I'm nearing the end by now. I would like to conclude with that I once again love your design, I look forward to the time its starting to work, and above all I hope my nagging helps you a little.

Wybe

Edit: looked at my post in the browser and think, did I actually write all of that?

Edited by Wybe, 18 March 2006 - 03:57 PM.

#13 Cephas

Cephas

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 272 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 04:28 PM

I love it but just a little thing

Posted Image

Wee problem there eh! Lines don't connect.

#14 dEcade

dEcade

P2L Staff

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,850 posts
  • Interests:Guitar, Programming, Storm Chasing, Games (Designing and playing), Hockey, Photography

Posted 18 March 2006 - 07:28 PM

It looks really good I like how it fits together. Nice work.

dEcade

#15 Indigo

Indigo

Official Alien

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 05:56 AM

l3lueMage:

Btw, just so I know it for sure: If I add tutorials and such to my site, should I take a Printscreen of it and post that here, or is it okay to post tutorialsites as long as I wish critique on my design?

What I meant - If I do change my design and post a few tutorials on the site, is it ok to post the link to the site here, or should i post a link to an image of the new design, just to make sure the moderators of this forum will close the post (since tutorial-sites aren't allowed)?

Wybe:
Thanks a lot, I'll take every word you said with me when I continue my designing.

the "contact me" hyperlink has a pink background, which makes it appear like one of the menu's hyperlinks but also completely out of style for a copyright message.

A few others have mentioned this to me, but I don't see that error in either Opera nor Firefox on WinXP, and the same goes for both Opera and Safari on mac.
If anybody knows what might be wrong, please notify me :)

Cephas:
You're looking at it in Firefox, aren't you? I'm having a few problems like that with my other sites too, if you got any sollutions to my problem, please do contact me :)

#16 Cephas

Cephas

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 272 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 09:48 AM

yeh I was looking at in on FF. No idea what's up with it!

#17 Wybe

Wybe

Jedi In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 01:18 PM

Its probably the cell padding acting up. In IE, when you set a width to say 200px and a padding of 10px on both sides, the DIV itself will be 200px wide and the area that's actually textual 180px (200-2*10px). In firefox, the DIV will be made 220px and the area covered by text 200px.

#18 kazaru-kun

kazaru-kun

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 03:51 PM

Looks pretty sexy in opera keep it up.

#19 DanWilliamson

DanWilliamson

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 01:28 AM

Design

The layout looks as if it has had quite some time spent on it which I am sure it has; this has paid off as you have ended up with a fabulous resulting design. I love the tiles background and the way it resembles a floor of some sort with a piece of paper on the floor; with another piece of paper under it; I think the two pieces of paper ( Or what the layout resembles ) on top of one looks really nice and really did pay off.

I love the shadowing and how it appears on the background; that is some skill in doing that to make it looks so good; then you have some simply amazing glossy parts on the layout. The header is really simple; and the simplicity works on this layout due to the fact it being a simple yet complex layout in parts. The navigation is brilliant and that idea will stick with me for quite a while.

The content part; apart from the missing bit on one of the borders I think the content section looks really nice expecially on the spiky wheel kind of thing.

Code

A beautiful CSS layout which is what is really good, nicely structured DIVS on your main index code page; Then just as good code on the CSS some people could really take a note out of your book as it's clearly the way to go for an amazing site.

The only browser issue I can see is the horrible blue background thingy in IE6 but if you clear that then it will look amazing in all browsers i'm presuming. I only checked it in IE6 and Firefox

Content

The content seemed very good when I first entered the site; when I read the first article explaining what LoveAnyone was it seemed to have a nice welcoming feel to it. And then the navigation system; explaining what everything is thats cool.

Can't wait until the rest of your pages are up.

Good luck!
Dan

#20 MaticooL

MaticooL

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 11:25 AM

The design is almost perfect, very professionally made! Good job!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users