12 replies to this topic

#1 hoppo

hoppo

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 01:45 PM

Ok i am a driving instructor who is looking to get into web design, my driving school site get good traffic and is on first page for google with a pr of 2.

I lack a bit of flair and i know they are a bit raw but would appreciate some honest views/comments :) on my sites, they are:

www.mphwebdesign.co.uk and www.martinhopkinssom.co.uk

Just bought dreamweaver so looking to learn this to help jazz them up a bit.

#2 Mickoe

Mickoe

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 07:39 PM

Put more colors, put more life! I suggest you also to put more contrast in your links, make them blacker. Also, you need a logo design job bad :) . But well, it is a nice start.

#3 Hoot

Hoot

* Hooty Tooty Fruit *

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts
  • Interests:Making Websites, Working in 3D, Playing the Drums

Posted 27 March 2006 - 04:37 PM

what may help it look better is insted of just simply having a background with all of the text slaped on it, create a design with images (don't get me wrong simple isn't bad) when I mean images, look how Pixel2Life is layed out there are set columns you can see where the content goes.

Hoot

#4 hoppo

hoppo

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 05:44 PM

added a couple of new name/logos what do you think?

#5 PSUser77

PSUser77

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 08:00 PM

I like the pricing and web packages available on your www.mphwebdesign.co.uk site...but you might want to spruce the site up a bit - I'm thinking maybe a fancier header and some better buttons would help.

Just curious...what programs do you use? Fireworks? Photoshop? :P HTML coding? What? :D

#6 SebLev

SebLev

Forum Whore is what I am today!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 07:03 PM

well yeah maybe keep it simple but add some images to make it feel more alive... like Hoot said for the content make it like have a place of its own..... make it look like it belongs and not just slapped on there.......

-try and not use marquees (in your price page of the driving school site)
-Make your subtitles stick out from the rest of the text... not just underline them.... and underlining usualy signifies a link....
- i dont know what font you use but try and use Verdana... <--- most user friendly font i find....
- in your navagation in the driving site... one of your rollover links resizes wront and makes everything move....
- For a professional site make sure theirs no mistakes.... "You can pay her for your training"
- Your .html files should match your pages but try and make the file name more simple... like dont add "the" and certan other key words that dont need to be there. ... "/The%20Driving%20Test.htm"
- on your email button you created maybe make the text on it more visible.... change the text color so its more visible
- In yoru site mape page use tables and set "Width" in your <TD> tags.... and make your link order the same order of your actualy links in your navagation.....

Well those are jsut a couple of things I notice while i looked threw it fast....

Edited by lilman, 31 March 2006 - 07:05 PM.

#7 hoppo

hoppo

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 05:51 PM

re done my design site would apprecaite some new feed back www.mphwebdesign.co.uk thanks

#8 DarkSuiyoken

DarkSuiyoken

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 10:16 AM

I'm guessing you got the free buttons from a website. Or did it from a tutorial. Those buttons are nice. But they don't fit the design at all.

Try doing a fixed width layout.

Also, the apples look stretched. But the concept for the banner is good. The treatment to your logo could do with a softer drop shadow too, as the colour you use for the text itself is pretty dark, and the drop shadow kinda spoils the feel to it. Use a similar blue which is on the buttons instead of the red now.

There could also be more improvements to the laying out of the information. The banner "it's time to reach out to the world" should look better on the left of the page as well since the composition of the picture is such that a person is "reaching out to the world". But. it hits the edge of the screen there and then. So, putting it on the left will allow more breathing space for the picture.

If you have time, you can even slice that image and make it such that the text flows around the text, instead of the image being a rigid rectangle.

http://www.bigbaer.c...e.text.wrap.htm

Edited by DarkSuiyoken, 06 April 2006 - 02:35 PM.

#9 DarkSuiyoken

DarkSuiyoken

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 10:44 AM

I had some free time and I went to do this in photoshop.

I hope you don't copy anything, this is just an idea. And I am also learning at the same time.

So, here is just a suggestion of how it could work:

Attached Files

#10 hoppo

hoppo

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 04:25 PM

DarkSuiyoken,

Thanks for your input, i like your ideas. I had already thought of the cliff picture being on the wrong side and rather spookily already changed it. Like the text at the top i am not sure about the buttons

#11 DarkSuiyoken

DarkSuiyoken

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 07:02 PM

You're welcome. I just couldn't sleep so I went ahead and did it.

#12 tjl30

tjl30

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Graphic Design, Website layouts, Website scripting, movie editing, animation, snowboarding, sculpture, and drawing.

Posted 07 April 2006 - 03:24 PM

I would set up a cool color scheme with 2-4 colors that work with eachother.

#13 SebLev

SebLev

Forum Whore is what I am today!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 09:48 AM

yeah i like what Dark did that was a nice design and you did a nice color scheme...

-Seb-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users