• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

#1 Dirk Black

Dirk Black

Sir Emo Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • Interests:C4D graphic artwork and design, music (guitar songwriting vocals.) Painting, photography, video games.

Posted 19 May 2006 - 03:38 PM

this is my first attempt at making a professional style website for myself, what do you think? I know it lacks in content but I just started..

Dirkblack.com

#2 Matheus

Matheus

P2L Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 04:13 PM

I sugest you to don't use images in everything
try using tables to make it resise at diferent resolutions
the buttons are pretty strange too

If you wanna keep this style, I sugest using flash

#3 Futingkiller

Futingkiller

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 110 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 08:13 AM

well, try makeing the writing a bit smaller, because my eyes hurt.
try making that upper picture a bit smaller because you need to scroll so that you can see the actual site.
i ususaly don't like flash websites because the are slow loaders.

#4 Indigo

Indigo

Official Alien

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • Interests:Computing in general, especially design and programming of all kinds.

Posted 21 May 2006 - 08:57 AM

I wish I could say that this is a nice webpage, but I just can't. This is... Not good!
The blue text on a black background is too hard to read, the metallic background is just plain ugly, the borders in your header just don't belong there and the buttons don't fit in at all.

My advice to you, my friend, is to redesign it all, try getting some inspiration from other great webpages you really like and take some tutorials in webdesign here at P2L.
I'm sorry if this was to harsh, but keep designing - nobody get's it right before they've had a lot of failures :D

#5 DanWilliamson

DanWilliamson

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 09:16 AM

I don't exactly know what you have tried to achieve in the webpage but I don't think it turned out as planned as the header seems to look really fake and just not good, I think your effects on this needs to be improved, although the logo is much nicer and some decent effects on it.

The background in many places has gone all jaggy and doesn't look smooth for me in Bon Echo alpha two, and the matallicness in it gives it an awful look, the buttons aren't too good and you should have used Flash to make them rollover or even just CSS and also the quality of the button images seem to be really low and also they don't appear smooth.

The blue text is rather hard to read and really doesn't go with Black background, also the image on the content box just tops the site off and makes me not want to re-visit, although the background render is nice it is still rather off-putting for me.

The coding also could do with something more inputted into it using a nice XHTML strict markup with a clean CSS layout would make it 10 times better as long as you improved your image quality.

#6 Dirk Black

Dirk Black

Sir Emo Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • Interests:C4D graphic artwork and design, music (guitar songwriting vocals.) Painting, photography, video games.

Posted 21 May 2006 - 11:01 AM

heh, ok so my first attempt didnt go so well, thanks for the honesty, the brutal, painful honesty. dont worry i'll live..
I think i'll just stick to 3d modelling and artwork

Edited by Dirk Black, 21 May 2006 - 11:02 AM.

#7 Dh.

Dh.

CSS Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 02:36 PM

Not too keen on the design, looks a bit childish... Artworks not bad though.

#8 PSgirl

PSgirl

P2L Staff

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 02:59 PM

I have to agree with the comments above, but c'mon, it's your first try, you can't give up so easily.
Check tutorials, visit websites and take a look at what you do like and what you don't.
Cheer up! :D

Edited by PSgirl, 22 May 2006 - 02:20 PM.

#9 SebLev

SebLev

Forum Whore is what I am today!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 11:04 PM

yeah, like PSgirl said.... dont give up that easly... yoru artwork is nice and i know you can do better.... trust me my first site i thougth it was good and in the end i look at it now and i feel a little embaresed but everyone starts off that way..... i say try a simple site... less images but more of a shapes style and jsut keep it simple but stylish.... and personaly i like more light colors then dark ones like yours..... so come on show us what you can do..... i know you have alot more potential

#10 jamiecarter

jamiecarter

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 10:23 AM

as lilman stated about the background... in my opinion try to make your bacgrounds a nice clean monotone colour
or a slight gradient from normal to dark etc.. i dont like the image u used as the backgound to the main bulk of the site..

Keep i up man evrything takes practise... its like when u first started using c4d

#11 Indigo

Indigo

Official Alien

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • Interests:Computing in general, especially design and programming of all kinds.

Posted 22 May 2006 - 11:01 AM

Don't give up, man! If we didn't make you cry, there's a reason to continue, and if we did make you cry, make a design so awesome it will make us cry ;)
Just keep on working, my first webpage was coded in notepad, a bit of background-color and some text, and I was SO proud! If I'd let others critique get to much to me, I wouldn't acheived what I have today.
Good luck with your next try!

#12 Dirk Black

Dirk Black

Sir Emo Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 09:47 AM

this is my first attempt at making a professional style website for myself, what do you think? I know it lacks in content but I just started..

Dirkblack.com

I totally replaced everything, starting with a template, does it look any better now?

#13 jamiecarter

jamiecarter

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 10:58 AM

much much better... looks pretty awesome mate... love the DB logo

#14 Indigo

Indigo

Official Alien

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 06:31 AM

A lot better mate :(
Worst thing on the page: The bevel and emboss in the ""home, about me"-pictures.
Man, people will soon recognize me at these forums as the "Bevel and emboss-hater". :P

#15 jamiecarter

jamiecarter

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 07:00 PM

i have to say inidigo your right... i on my very first template of my site used bevel loads and i think it looked great ... but ppl telling me its awful and after removing it u see why it look so much better without

:P

#16 faulk

faulk

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts
  • Interests:Web design<br />Music<br />Audio engineering<br />Baseball (red sox!)<br />Snowboarding<br />Video production<br />Web app development

Posted 01 June 2006 - 12:14 PM

This is good for a first site design. I doubt anyone can say their first few layout designs are truely successful, but you keep working at it and you find out what works and what doesn't. Most of the comments written already sum up why it doesn't totally work. I think your strongest point is the layout idea, but your weakest point is the actual design elements. Anyone who designs in Photoshop will notice instantly the bevels and such. When I design I try to avoid the "photoshop feel."

I hope this point helps, because it was handed down to me and really helped me improve my design.

#17 Matheus

Matheus

P2L Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 12:17 PM

yes, alot better now
I just sugest making off that drop shadow from the header imges, that drop shadow makes hard to read
try using plain design at the fonts, don't mess up too much with them

overall its ok, just careful with the fonts

#18 eVoid

eVoid

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Cars / Webdesign

Posted 01 June 2006 - 03:08 PM

Not bad mate, try adding a different background though, to get rid of some of them white spaces. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users