Photo

Speak Now or Forever Hold Your... Mouse? Opinions and Suggestions Wanted!

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#41 kiraz

kiraz

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 05:41 PM

I think a easy to implement but nice feature would be to have a system that emails you to confirm if your tutorial is accepted or declined, becasue I along with many other im sure, get tired of ch4ecking thesource site seach, and you cant see which tutorials are in the que.

#42 mbx5nitro

mbx5nitro

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 05:43 PM

Ive been here about 6months or maybe a year. I have never started many problems as i admin a forum with 1,500 members and know what these mods and admins are going through.

I think a great thing on this forum would give people the option on which forums they want to be open when they visit everytime. Like the minimize option on the forum but a page in the "My Controls" area that allows them too. That option may come around in IPB 2.2 but were not sure.

Also the images as links at the top right such as the twodded link need words i remember the first time i was here for like a month i thought they were just images in the header.

The main page needs to be a little more spazzy than the 3 colum thing now too. Maybe a ajax one where you can move the boxes around and change if its 2 colums or 3. Something like MSN.com.

Also we really need a better way to organize the tutorials and get to them. Not so much more categories just better organization of the tutorials in the subcategoies. Also the tutorials that are duplicates should be combined into one big tutorial with all different ways to do something. Also there are times when you get the tutorials in parts where you have to find all the parts. I think when you open a tutorial it should come to a page that has a description about the tutorial and links to the other tutorials that member has submitted. Now some of these ideas may not be needed but im sure if you could make everything more user friendly your visits and useage would jump.

A noticable skin update would help people comeing back too.

Zack

#43 mbx5nitro

mbx5nitro

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 05:45 PM

On a another note. I think the "General" forums should be moved farther down in forum organization. It may be bringing the most post but you need the things that help members out up top.

Maybe even a FireFox and IE toolbar to search the site and quick links the the site.

#44 Hoot

Hoot

* Hooty Tooty Fruit *

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts
  • Interests:Making Websites, Working in 3D, Playing the Drums

Posted 23 May 2006 - 06:36 PM

I think it would be kinda cool if on the sites pages you made them expandable like the forums catagories. its nothing major some people may like it.

Another selecting how many "latest tutorials" are displayed. say 5, 10, 15, 20 instead of just 20.

Hoot

#45 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 06:41 PM

On a another note. I think the "General" forums should be moved farther down in forum organization. It may be bringing the most post but you need the things that help members out up top.

Maybe even a FireFox and IE toolbar to search the site and quick links the the site.

Just an FYI we already have Firefox extension in the resource area ;) http://www.pixel2lif...esource_center/

Dan

#46 mbx5nitro

mbx5nitro

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 06:59 PM

Oh my bad. I didnt know if it was this site i saw it on. I know i saw one somewhere.

#47 JamesPickens

JamesPickens

Retired P2L Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 08:18 PM

dangit faken i was going to tell him.

#48 syntex

syntex

P2L Staff

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts
  • Interests:Poetry, Photography, Music, My Band, Guitar and out of my mind experiences.

Posted 23 May 2006 - 11:46 PM

WOah wtf, its astatic... talk about LOONG TIME!

#49 Stu

Stu

Retired P2L Staff

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 12:29 AM

when i saw this title, i thought 'ill steer clear of this', and then you go and bring up my name in an *argument* that has sweet fa to do with me... why? as for the chip on my shoulder, it was placed there by certain things and people, and i carry it proudly. and the backstabbing... ;) i wont go there as it is none of my business.

well now ive posted i may aswell add my piece.

i dont really have any problems with the site itself, but all the ideas on the previous pages seem quite nice, it is mainly the forum where i see problems.

the hypocricy needs to be sorted out. one perfect example was your reply to jay in this thread dan, slightly off topic as it seemed like more of a personal attack on jay (and possibly me with my big bag of potato chips i apparently where) than anything else... whereas a couple of days ago my reply, where i asked a few questions, and was not rude at all, was deleted from a thread which my name was bought up where it wasnt really off topic at all (you mustve known i would bring that up :( ). and you talk about off topic, but how many times have you turned a thread about a computer (for example) into a parachute pants thread? i know jay and jaymz and donna are guilty of this along with you aswell. it sometimes seems like staff have the run of the forums, choosing to abide by certain rules and not others, while us members have to stick to the rules like glue.

it also seem that from my time in the staff room that one or two people have thier favourites and people they dislike, fair enough, human nature, but its not ok when they seem to target them just for the sake of it (i cant remember exact instances but even if i could i wouldnt name them).

there you go, and ill probably be back to try give some more.

#50 Indigo

Indigo

Official Alien

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • Interests:Computing in general, especially design and programming of all kinds.

Posted 24 May 2006 - 05:27 AM

On twod-tutorials, don´t make me click 14 times to watch a tutorial - I really dislike the pages there, everything should be in just one page.
Else than that, I love p2l. ;)

#51 Pall0r

Pall0r

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 05:29 AM

what about adding a vegas and premiere section to the tutorials? ;)

#52 fiked

fiked

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:Webdesign<br />Webmaster<br />Driving<br />Pranks :O<br />Extreme Sports<br />Paintballing

Posted 24 May 2006 - 06:43 AM

To be honest i dont see a reason to come visit the forum every day? When i see my owner site "shoutgfx" my users come back because of mods we have installed such as "ibstore" the ibstore is like gold, everytime u make a post u get 1 gold and then u trade buy and sell stuff for gold to keep a long store short ;-).

I would have a competision area like my site - http://www.shoutgfx....hp?showforum=40

When i started my site i didnt think competisions where that big but wow for a few month old forum its not to bad and the prize's arnt costing me a penny!

Good Luck Dan

#53 Jem

Jem

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts
  • Interests:Photography, design &amp; developing, walking, cycling, reading.

Posted 24 May 2006 - 06:48 AM

I haven't had any problems with forum moderation, which seems to have been mentioned a couple of times, but I would be in 7th heaven if people didn't use so much chat speak. That's just me being completely anal though ;)

I only have a few suggestions, really..
1) Some sort of 'thanks for voting' page when you click on a link on a person's site to vote for them in the topsites thing. I submitted my site recently (don't seem to have been approved yet?) and asked a few friends to vote for my site if they felt it deserved it - they did so, but weren't sure if their votes went through because it took them straight to the p2l index page.

2) Quicker approval of tutorials. Is this even possible? Is the hold up due to the sheer amount of tutorials submitted or is due to a lack of time to check them?

3) Perhaps stricter rules on tutorials? I am still concerned about security with some of the php tutorials. I guess this isn't an issue for your graphics and general html tutorials, but certainly I'd like to see less tutorials where people are recommending inserting unsanitary data in databases and the like.

Just my preliminary thoughts :)

#54 Matthew.

Matthew.

Official Spammer .Matt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 07:00 AM

To be honest i dont see a reason to come visit the forum every day? When i see my owner site "shoutgfx" my users come back because of mods we have installed such as "ibstore" the ibstore is like gold.

heh. most people dont come to forums to buy imaginary stuff with store money.

#55 CT.

CT.

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 07:00 AM

The one thing I think this site should have is the ability to go to someones profiles and see all the tutorials they have submitted using their IP or something like that.

Other than that maybe just point out the forums a bit more, and other resources P2L has. ;)

#56 Indigo

Indigo

Official Alien

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • Interests:Computing in general, especially design and programming of all kinds.

Posted 24 May 2006 - 07:20 AM

A few more things:
A couple of norwegian forums I´m in have a "Pastebin" of some sort, where you can insert scripts of all kinds for others to read, or so you can remember. To add this, along with a search-function (to choose to search for c++, php, asp, etc...) would be a great recource, and people could post their scripts there instead of being yelled at when they try to do it in the "php-tutorials"-section. This should also have colored code, like in Dreamweaver, which makes codes a lot more easy to read.

The idea about the gold is not that bad, there could be something like "If you find the hidden midget in the forums, you get 5 points" or something. To get points for each post you make would probably make certain people spam a lot just to get points, but with surprising competitions (like the "find the midget"-thingy) people could actually browse the forums. There should also be lots of different things, as people probably get tired of the same things all the time.

As another suggestion, you could have a P2L-shop - it might give the site some income, and I´d like a P2L teeshirt or a cute teddybear with a nice motive to give to my girlfriend. If there were lots of cool motives (not just the standard logo) this could give the site quite lot income, at least my imagination tells me it might. And you can have competitions so people can design shirts for sale, which would give them a bit of income, and/or points ;)

#57 Dirk Black

Dirk Black

Sir Emo Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • Interests:C4D graphic artwork and design, music (guitar songwriting vocals.) Painting, photography, video games.

Posted 24 May 2006 - 07:37 AM

yeah, its hard to know the specifics of the argument but I do know that communication is the universal solvent. you guys need to get a cup a jo and talk stuff out, if you dont live nearby then at least get on the phone, if you guys are this upset at the other person it shows how much that friendship actually means to you, work it out guys ;)

#58 Jamie Huskisson

Jamie Huskisson

Retired P2L Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,648 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 07:59 AM

yeah, its hard to know the specifics of the argument but I do know that communication is the universal solvent. you guys need to get a cup a jo and talk stuff out, if you dont live nearby then at least get on the phone, if you guys are this upset at the other person it shows how much that friendship actually means to you, work it out guys :)

A great point Dirk, unfortunatly when your only method of communication is probably msn (a phone bill from england to canada or visa versa is pretty hefty i can imagine, and even then it'd be too uncomfortable) then this makes it hard, it's all too easy to mis-understand text that's written here and there and go overboard... After an 'event' such as this and all the drama that seems to be swarming from no-where all around it, it's difficult to patch things up. That said, if Faken's reading this and wants to start a chat with me, he's welcome.

But for now, let's have everyone back on topic :)

#59 Xfader

Xfader

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • Interests:Computers :)

Posted 24 May 2006 - 08:06 AM

@Indigo:

Here is an example of a PasteBin: http://www.pastebin.be/lang-en/ , this one belongs to www.sitemasters.be . It is very usefull :)

@Jay: That's why there are Google Talk and Skype :)

Edited by Xfader, 24 May 2006 - 08:07 AM.

#60 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 08:47 AM

Great feedback everyone!

To Jem - I agree that the approvals have fallen behind but it's simply because I've been so busy with the new development that I am a bit behind AND yes, because of sheer volume... I go through hundreds to approve 20. Right now I am about 7 to 10 days behind and I am aiming for 3. Things should get back to normal fairly soon.

Fiked - There's a couple forums I participate on where I have over 20,000 posts on each... never got a single point :) I would prefer to have people come to the forums because they want to chat and contribute, not to collect points by posting for the sake of it. I'll bring this one up with staff and see what they think... I've also seen forum RPGs that look like fun.

To CT - You do not require an account of any kind to submit tutorials :) Even so though, 99.9% of the people that submit a tutorial do so for their own site, so all you have to do is click the "view all" link next to the source site name and you'll get a list of all the tutorials for that site.

Stu - My response to Jay wasn't hypocritical in the slightest. His very first item in his post was an attack on me and the rest is pure nonsense. Stop making up examples to attempt to prove a point.

"but how many times have you turned a thread about a computer (for example) into a parachute pants thread?"

Huh? Sorry but I don't seem to remember doing that ever, let alone many times... Here a list of every post created that the word parachute appears. You'll notice none of my posts are off-topic.

Move on fellas...

Indigo - You mean similar to the script sumission that was mentioned earlier right? Yeah, that's looking like a popular idea :D

Dan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users