Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 11:58 AM

hehe, faken: http://www.cs.purdue...explanation.htm

Saves me the finger pain :D

Havent you ever played?

Thanks, I'l have to read it.

Played?? haha.. dude I live in Quebec. I don't think there's a single Cricket racket in the entire province let alone people/space to play it lol!

Dan

#22 Aussiestinger

Aussiestinger

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 270 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 11:58 AM

So you are one canadian that doesn't like Ice Hockey?...

Ummm... read the thread :D

Now, someone explain to me wtf cricket is about pls. it makes absolutely zero sense to me.

Dan

I skimmed through most of it, most sports I couldn't give a shit about, Australian Football and Hockey being the only ones I can watch a whole game of, I am just confused how you can call Soccer a snore fest, then love watching Hockey, both are low scoring and defensive, hockey not as much but they are both similar.

Cricket sucks to watch, I can't way too boring, it's pretty fun to play though, I dunno really how to explain it, the bowler bowls the batter hits, 4 points if it goes over the noundary like rolls, 6 if it goes in the air, and the batsmen run, I dunno hard to explain I am sure someone who actually likes watching it can explain it better.

#23 Mr. Matt

Mr. Matt

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 02:34 PM

:) didnt expect this too take off so quick. Well i guess depates about the countries on the other side of the pond are always fun.

Sorry, you clearly don't play either sport... Rugby is definitely NOT any more intense than American football.

Ok i dont play either sport, but i have played all 3 sports. Like what has been said, American football is all start stop all the time, and whats with all the padding? It isnt all needed, rygby is a lot more aggressive and they are fine, fine Johnny Wilkinson keeps injuring himself but thats his problem.

I do agree that football is boring to watch, its a lot better when you join in and play, but its like that with a lot of sports.

Golf is another sport that sucks to watch.

No one really stuck to the point of the name of it (american football), does any one else have any suggestions on a new name?

#24 Aussiestinger

Aussiestinger

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 270 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 02:54 PM

The name it is used most of places, Gridiron, it's what I always call it, and I like that name, football is a retarded name for that sport as they are lucky to kick it 5 times a game lol.

#25 SebLev

SebLev

Forum Whore is what I am today!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 03:20 PM

Well to remain on the subject of why its called football well i donno becaus like its been said you barly touch it but euro football has a right too be called that.... who named it soccer? but true its not the best to watch just like any sport.... i honestly cant watch any sport... only one maybe is hockey but only at play-offs and mostly when its semi-finals and if a canadien team is in it lol GO OILERS! lol.... but golf,soccer,foot-ball,basket ball, and all those sports arnt any fun watching it.... i dont mind playing it thast for sure but watching nah... only sport i dont play is rugby and foot-ball.... personnaly i dont find it looks that fun foot-ball.... its too much start stop like its been said.... and otehr then that meh i dono what els too say lol

Edited by lilman, 30 May 2006 - 03:21 PM.

#26 Bryn

Bryn

Spammer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts
  • Interests:Music, Philosophy, Design, History, Reading, Writing, The Weekend etc...

Posted 30 May 2006 - 03:29 PM

american football, what a load of rubbish.
Why do they call it soccer aswell...
They should call american football padded rugby.

#27 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 05:41 PM

:D didnt expect this too take off so quick. Well i guess depates about the countries on the other side of the pond are always fun.

Sorry, you clearly don't play either sport... Rugby is definitely NOT any more intense than American football.

Ok i dont play either sport, but i have played all 3 sports. Like what has been said, American football is all start stop all the time, and whats with all the padding? It isnt all needed, rygby is a lot more aggressive and they are fine, fine Johnny Wilkinson keeps injuring himself but thats his problem.

I do agree that football is boring to watch, its a lot better when you join in and play, but its like that with a lot of sports.

Golf is another sport that sucks to watch.

No one really stuck to the point of the name of it (american football), does any one else have any suggestions on a new name?

Rugby is not more aggressive sorry... they are both sports that require aggressive play action. What are you talking about?!

The padding is because of the level of hitting... if you hit the same way in a rugby game as you do in football, you WOULD PARALYZE YOURSELF. Are you getting it? The power and level of the hits is enormous and no one could play at that pace on a sustained level. Hence the way it's played in seperate plays.

Bottom line... anyone who thinks Rugby is harder than football is simply repeating ridiculous chatter that Europeans like to tote around. If you actually think this is true, then you're clueless and should stick to the couch where you watch your games from.

Dan

#28 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 05:43 PM

american football, what a load of rubbish.
Why do they call it soccer aswell...
They should call american football padded rugby.

Actually... rugby is fairly mindless compared to the strategy of american football. Just look at any college + level playbook. Rugby is a series of about 12 formations and plays and you look to exploit holes as they present themselves within those formations. Football is about 100 formations and plays to create the holes.

Dan

#29 Mr. Matt

Mr. Matt

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 05:44 PM

oh come on the tackeling in rugby is no worse then in american football

Bottom line... anyone who thinks Rugby is harder than football is simply repeating ridiculous chatter that Europeans like to tote around.

well it least we can speak it properly with the correct gramatical terms :D

#30 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 05:53 PM

oh come on the tackeling in rugby is no worse then in american football

Bottom line... anyone who thinks Rugby is harder than football is simply repeating ridiculous chatter that Europeans like to tote around.

well it least we can speak it properly with the correct gramatical terms :D

Oh I see... you've lost this arguement so badly, you now resort to grammar and spell checking. Wow, GJ.

Once again, you are mistaken abotu the tackling. Here is a perfect example for you.

The typical tackle in Rugby is a take down. You can re-create this approximately like this:

Have 1 person hold the ball and face downfield. Now have two people 10 yards to his left facing him. Now, 1 2 3 go! The dude with the ball runs downfield and the 2 guys chase and take down the ball carrier (assuming he doesn't pass down). That is a typical take down.

Now, in football, most of of the tackles are head on. So, now take your 2 guys and put them 20 yards in front of your ball carrier, facing him. 1 2 3 go! Have the ball carrier run straight downfield and have the two tackles run directly at the runner, heads down and leading with head and shoulders.

If you think the hit generated by the rugby takedown is more intense, then you're in complete denial. Go outside and try it yourself.

Dan

#31 Mr. Matt

Mr. Matt

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 06:05 PM

ok i am going to admit you might be right there.

Just wait for the next debate, i will show you :D

#32 SebLev

SebLev

Forum Whore is what I am today!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 06:11 PM

ummm this might be off topic but Dan chill out man..... you seem to be having alot of anger latly... i donno if im the only one thats noticing it but your starting to have an anger kinda tone behind everything you say..... i understand that people are not notecing the stratigy behind american football compared too rugby but who cares... let them think what they want.... they my just have i different view on the game.... just leave it be all of you!

#33 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 06:30 PM

ummm this might be off topic but Dan chill out man..... you seem to be having alot of anger latly... i donno if im the only one thats noticing it but your starting to have an anger kinda tone behind everything you say..... i understand that people are not notecing the stratigy behind american football compared too rugby but who cares... let them think what they want.... they my just have i different view on the game.... just leave it be all of you!

Huh? I just think that people that tote that nonsense about american football to be extremely irritating, and no one can ever argue that point logically and it drives me mad. If you don't want to argue along because you don't care, good for you, then you don't have to post. As for angry lately, go look at my post list... I just did and I have no clue what you are talking about seeing as most of it lately is my saying "GJ and thanks for your contribution", a few news posts and a lot of chatting with staff in the staff forum.

Anyhow, Deadly - I'm not minimizing Rugby at all... when I started playing Rugby when I was around 16, I had already been playing football for a few years and believe you me, I was DYING! Not because of the hitting, but because of the amount of stamina you need to make it through a whole game with all that damn running AND tackling. It's exhausting. The hits didn't sting or ring my bell as much as football, but there damn sure was a lot more bleeding... damn cleats. Overall though, it helped my football game because it helped me build up stamina. At the same time, I was known a complete pyscho on the rugby field because I would hit like a maniac... I was hitting like I would in football. The coach was always telling me not to square up or I'd kill myself.

They're both hard sports to play in a league, both minimizing american football is nothing short of stupid patriotic rhetoric.

Dan

#34 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 06:48 PM

Wait I take it back.. I'm bitter that Montreal and Ottawa are eliminated from the NHL playoffs so I'm taking it out on all of you!

MWAHAHA!

Dan

#35 Stu

Stu

Retired P2L Staff

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 08:43 AM

dan, what is a take down? ive been playing rugby for around 7 years now and thats the first time i have heard that expression :P mind you, ive been playing it with brits... so... :(

its got nothing to do with patriotism why people are trying to put down american football. it is because they dont like it or dont understand it.

europeans find your sports boring, and we find yours boring, big deal. its probably because we dont play them, or even get them on tv to watch them. it is not because we feel we have to big up for our own sports by shitting on yours? ... at least i think anyways... maybe some people do, but that is thier problem.

#36 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 09:11 AM

dan, what is a take down? ive been playing rugby for around 7 years now and that's the first time i have heard that expression :P mind you, ive been playing it with brits... so... ;)

its got nothing to do with patriotism why people are trying to put down american football. it is because they dont like it or dont understand it.

europeans find your sports boring, and we find yours boring, big deal. its probably because we dont play them, or even get them on tv to watch them. it is not because we feel we have to big up for our own sports by shitting on yours? ... at least i think anyways... maybe some people do, but that is thier problem.

We call a tackle that is generally a chase and tackle a takedown. Basically any tackle or maneuver involving a pursuit be it from behind or side.

As for why people argue it, pretty much every instance I see of people saying rugby, EU soccer etc.. is simply because they want to tout how great their European sports are and the american ones suck. Whether it's because they understand them or not is moot.. it's national pride in their sports, hence patriotism. Patriotism has many venues, and sports is one of the most rabid varieties.

I play and love them all, so it doesn't make a difference to me personally.. I just hate to see people trying to argue these points when they've never had a day of league play to compare them to each other.

Dan

#37 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 09:24 AM

Look what I dug up :P

Canterbury Rugby Team 1994 - First year I started playing Rugby ;) I'm circled in red... First shot I'm buried with my buddy Derek bracing me up and the second shot is the two teams lining up for a toss in. Mark is kinda blocking me in the second shot... he moved to Canada from Australia a couple years back and was shocked we had a Rugby league lol! Anyhow, I'm the one with the wrapped knee and black wristband. (That friggin knee still has to be wrapped on leg days at the gym lol).

Ahh... memories...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Dan

#38 Mr. Matt

Mr. Matt

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 11:30 AM

tut tut Dan you have double posted 3 times on this page alone, standards are dropping :P

Canterbury Rugby Team, didnt know you lived in England before, cool pics

#39 Futingkiller

Futingkiller

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 110 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 12:42 PM

i am from europe, Romania to be more exact, and i like football only to play (not english football, i like soccer). i hate watching these sports on TV, it's nicer when you actualy play them.
The best sport that i like is MountainBiking, swiming and skiing

#40 Mr. Matt

Mr. Matt

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 12:48 PM

correct me if i am wrong but soccor is english football :/

Yea mountain biking and skiing are very good sports, more of hobbies to me rather then competitivness

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users