Photo

The contests have begun! P2L's First Photography Contest!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
92 replies to this topic

#21 rockers

rockers

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 11:36 PM

thanks good luck

#22 designursite

designursite

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Flash, Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator etc

Posted 10 June 2006 - 02:55 AM

What do you mean by this statement

Don't have a camera? No problem... you are also permitted to submit a single digitally created entry based on 1 of the 5 subject categories.

If I don''t have a camera what should I do then...

#23 Erik Bernskiold

Erik Bernskiold

Jedi In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 422 posts
  • Interests:I love to do booth Web Design and Photography. Nothing beats a nice day out in the nature with the camera gear, getting loads of nice photos. I have been playing the flute for 6 years now and I love it, and I am playing the pipe organ as well. I also like to teach other people the in and outs of software such as the CS3 suite from Adobe.

Posted 10 June 2006 - 04:37 AM

What do you mean by this statement

Don't have a camera? No problem... you are also permitted to submit a single digitally created entry based on 1 of the 5 subject categories.

If I don''t have a camera what should I do then...

If I got it right you can do an art fitting one of those categories in for example a 3D program.

This sounds lovely I am diffinatly going to enter here! Good luck to all my fellow people who enter!

#24 mystery-man

mystery-man

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:iPod nano + Photoshop CS2 + Moleskine Notebook + HB Pencil = waste of time xD

Posted 10 June 2006 - 05:07 AM

cool!... I've always wanted to participate in a photo contest !! ... the only problem is that you are goning to recibe a lot of RAWs hehehe
my RAW is about 5 mbs per file... and its only a 6.1 MPx camera lol !

#25 rapidx

rapidx

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 07:38 AM

What should the email content be? Just the zipped file with the pictures?

#26 iPixel

iPixel

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 07:46 AM

I got a question ....

Based on fairness of judging how big of a chance does someone have winning with a 3 mp camera versus someone with a 6+ mp camera.... will the digital quality play a role in decision making ...

Thanks & Good luck to all !

Edited by iPixel, 10 June 2006 - 07:47 AM.

#27 Matthew.

Matthew.

Official Spammer .Matt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 08:24 AM

Photography isnt all about pixels. The quality of the photo taken does not rely on that alone, 3MP is standard SLR quality and more is a bonus ( a good bonus yes lol) However, you can consider the lense, lighting and even the subject. You can create just as good a picture on a 3MP as you can on a 8MP, but the quality wont be so good.

All im saying is, the sharpness / quality of a picture is not always what makes it good.

#28 peduard13

peduard13

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 08:54 AM

Hello everyone! Am I the only one who has problems submitting photos? I tried to email them at [email protected] but i get an error message saying the mailbox is full. Please help.

#29 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 09:05 AM

Hello everyone! Am I the only one who has problems submitting photos? I tried to email them at [email protected] but i get an error message saying the mailbox is full. Please help.

Faken should be here shortly to sort that out, hold off on sending until he replies please.

#30 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 09:37 AM

Sorry guys... email problems fixed ;)

Dan

#31 Mr. Matt

Mr. Matt

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 09:50 AM

thats a new people now who have signed up to take part in the competition.

but i am taking my time with these photos, traveling around getting the best i can

#32 Erik Bernskiold

Erik Bernskiold

Jedi In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 422 posts
  • Interests:I love to do booth Web Design and Photography. Nothing beats a nice day out in the nature with the camera gear, getting loads of nice photos. I have been playing the flute for 6 years now and I love it, and I am playing the pipe organ as well. I also like to teach other people the in and outs of software such as the CS3 suite from Adobe.

Posted 10 June 2006 - 10:00 AM

I just went out to a nice place to shoot and I got some really great ones so expect my entiries soon.

#33 Nick M

Nick M

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 10:22 AM

Whats the stance on using assitants in the photos. i.e when it comes to doing still life i expect some people will be doing this in a studio if they have access to one. And working in a studio normally requires some sort of assitance when it comes to sorting out the lighting.

Ill be entering this one myself as it seem quite interesting. good luck to all

Nick.

#34 Zombee

Zombee

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 11:13 AM

Yep that's fine, but why would each entry be 300MB? I shoot a D100 and a D70S, which aren't that different from the D200 output, and it's not even close to that. A raw jpg on a D70s in super fine large format is around 2.5MB.

Anyhow, a link is fine ;)

EDIT - OMG Zom!!! How the hell are ya man!!! What brings you to this side of the hill?? :)

Dan

I meant that I'm submitting one photo for each catagory, I save the photos as TIFs, which end up being 57mb each. (The D200 is 10mp)
But, I'll just save them as JPGs for ease of transfer:)

I'm always around man. I just lurk quietly and admire all your hard work:)

#35 Mr. Matt

Mr. Matt

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 11:22 AM

Whats the stance on using assitants in the photos. i.e when it comes to doing still life i expect some people will be doing this in a studio if they have access to one. And working in a studio normally requires some sort of assitance when it comes to sorting out the lighting.

Ill be entering this one myself as it seem quite interesting. good luck to all

Nick.

i am sure getting some help with somthing that that is fine, as long as that photo you have submitted is yours and is on one of the topics you will be ok

#36 SimplicityDesigns

SimplicityDesigns

BaseballHeadDan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 136 posts
  • Interests:Web/graphics design

Posted 10 June 2006 - 08:39 PM

I recently tried out a camera (Canon Rebel Digital SLR) with the 7-point auto focus (blurs the background). I did not get it, however, but stuck to my own Canon A530. It does not have this feature. Will many points be deducted if I blur the background myself in Photoshop, since it is a noticable change?

-dan

#37 Zombee

Zombee

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 10:26 PM

I recently tried out a camera (Canon Rebel Digital SLR) with the 7-point auto focus (blurs the background). I did not get it, however, but stuck to my own Canon A530. It does not have this feature. Will many points be deducted if I blur the background myself in Photoshop, since it is a noticable change?

-dan

If your A530 allows you to choose Apeture Priority mode, then setting to about f4.5 will give the same effect. If you have an image off center, into a less dominant third of the veiwfinder, center the VF on that first, hold you AF down, then move the subject. You'll get the same effect without needed multiple focus areas.

#38 Kai 028

Kai 028

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 12:14 AM

Some cameras have a time stamp feature which was a really big pain to figure out how to turn it off. Will points be taken off if the time stamp is displayed?

#39 veggie1232

veggie1232

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 01:58 AM

can you submit the 5 photos and a digital art peice?

#40 RedDragon

RedDragon

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 207 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 02:47 AM

Entered today ^_^

Good luck to all contestants! :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users