New Website

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22 replies to this topic

#1 _*jamesrundell_*

_*jamesrundell_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2006 - 02:06 AM

I've just finished college and ill be headin into a multimeda/web design course at teh end of august. i really want to work for myself in the near future designing websites and graphics and all that sorta stuff.

I've started to design a site for myself, which i plan to use as a portfolio (eventually).

What do you think so far? :)

the under construction page
the entrance page

#2 badrepent

badrepent

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts
  • Interests:WebDesign , CSS, XHTML, OOP, C#

Posted 22 June 2006 - 04:05 AM

The entrance page is quite well for me even you should definetely change the rollover effect on enter because is unreadable (the same problem is in the home page menu).
The home page is too darkish try to reuse your yellow color to render it more vivid.
About the code , you have uesd semantic xhtml + css and that's the right way ... :)

#3 _*jamesrundell_*

_*jamesrundell_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2006 - 05:03 AM

The entrance page is quite well for me even you should definetely change the rollover effect on enter because is unreadable (the same problem is in the home page menu).
The home page is too darkish try to reuse your yellow color to render it more vivid.
About the code , you have uesd semantic xhtml + css and that's the right way ... :P

hey thanks for your comments.

i've changed the rollover effect for the links, they now turn the yellow on hover, and grey when active. (instead of the other way around).

I've added a bit of content and stuff too, as for teh colurs of the homepage, i actually quite liked them, the dark colours go well together and the yellow brings a bit of colour in, but its not too harsh a contrast, i thought it complimented it nicely. I was going for a simplistic look too, i dont like alot of gradients or bevels.

thanks again for your commenst though, check it out now if you didnt see teh content & the other pages :)

#4 badrepent

badrepent

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts
  • Interests:WebDesign , CSS, XHTML, OOP, C#

Posted 22 June 2006 - 05:21 AM

With content added it looks better :P
I like the rollover but on IE there's a problem with the a:visited style because if you click on the back page
IE button after clicking some menu entries the menu appear as active and not visited.
I hope you understand me.
Keep up the good work

#5 _*jamesrundell_*

_*jamesrundell_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2006 - 05:24 AM

With content added it looks better :P
I like the rollover but on IE there's a problem with the a:visited style because if you click on the back page
IE button after clicking some menu entries the menu appear as active and not visited.
I hope you understand me.
Keep up the good work

Thanks, yeah i forgot about that.

IE is a pain in the ass lol, and so is working cross-browser for that matter.

but oh well, guess ill just get rid of the grey "a:active" then, didnt really add much anyway now that i've thought about it.

thanks again :)

#6 Aussiestinger

Aussiestinger

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 270 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 06:50 AM

I really like the entrance page and logo, the main page is a good start but I don't like the navigation, I would rather it be inside the grey area, and also, I don't like the scan lines, maybe try replace those with a navigation bar? just an idea. Good work.

#7 _*jamesrundell_*

_*jamesrundell_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2006 - 07:05 AM

I really like the entrance page and logo, the main page is a good start but I don't like the navigation, I would rather it be inside the grey area, and also, I don't like the scan lines, maybe try replace those with a navigation bar? just an idea. Good work.

hey thanks for your comments,

i made the navigation that way because i wanted it to be a bit different from everything else, ie at the side or under the header image.

but thanks again, i might get sick of it being there eventually and make a side menu or something anyway :P

#8 Matheus

Matheus

P2L Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 12:18 PM

you wanna make nav using text?
good, make a table with 6 columns, add a background to the table and put the links inside each cell

#9 _*jamesrundell_*

_*jamesrundell_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2006 - 04:59 PM

you wanna make nav using text?
good, make a table with 6 columns, add a background to the table and put the links inside each cell

err? not to sound rude or anythin, but i do know how to make a nav.

i think you may have misunderstood me, i meant i wanted to do something OTHER THAN making the nav at the side or horizontal under the banner.

:lol:

#10 Matheus

Matheus

P2L Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 05:14 PM

yes I know you wanted it
I mean that you should do something like this (using your layout colors, of course)
Posted Image
becouse in your nav. the words are too close to each other
people may don't realize that the words are the nav

Edited by Myoto, 24 June 2006 - 05:15 PM.

#11 _*jamesrundell_*

_*jamesrundell_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2006 - 05:51 PM

yes I know you wanted it
I mean that you should do something like this (using your layout colors, of course)
Posted Image
becouse in your nav. the words are too close to each other
people may don't realize that the words are the nav

ahh i get you, yeah i suppose,. i seperated them out though, but. i suppose people still may not see that it is the nav.

#12 Matheus

Matheus

P2L Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 06:59 PM

try to make it first and see if looks good to people realize that it's a nav
:lol:

#13 _*jamesrundell_*

_*jamesrundell_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2006 - 07:10 PM

quick question.

where do you guys think i should put my css/html valid buttons :

on every page in the footer?

OR

on the page that has info about the website?

#14 Spyder

Spyder

Jedi In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 11:59 AM

I like the entrance page and everything, but honestly why do you need it?

Entrance pages overall annoy me, unless you have some huge flashsite behind it that can preload on entrance why do you put it there, an extra page saying enter when you can have it go straight to the point.

#15 Matheus

Matheus

P2L Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 12:43 PM

yes spyder is right
I removed my splash page too
it's just annoying

#16 _*jamesrundell_*

_*jamesrundell_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2006 - 12:46 PM

I like the entrance page and everything, but honestly why do you need it?

Entrance pages overall annoy me, unless you have some huge flashsite behind it that can preload on entrance why do you put it there, an extra page saying enter when you can have it go straight to the point.

main reason - i wanted an entrance page.
other reason - im possibly going to add some flash in later, depends how i feel.

:D

#17 Matheus

Matheus

P2L Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 04:40 PM

a flash intro is good
but I recomend to you this:
when the intro finishes, automaticaly redirect to the main page

#18 DoctorPhotoshop

DoctorPhotoshop

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 12:33 AM

Keep the css valid buttons at the bottom.

My suggestion is to have more things going on on the actual page design. There is a lot stuffing going on in the background, but the actual content is presented very plainly.

#19 Spyder

Spyder

Jedi In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 10:56 AM

I agree that the content is displayed plainly, but thats how i think content should, in the end. We don't go to a site for it's layout but for it's content and this has to be easily accessed and plain inferont of you. The layout draws peoples attention but to have to much round the text leaves the site pointless as the reader is no longer concentrating on the content and will probably forget everything you said in the space of the day, ruling out the whole point of its existence, so remember simplicity is good :P

#20 Futingkiller

Futingkiller

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 110 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 06:07 PM

i like it, the logo is nice. i don't like the links (why you cut the writing?, thy thinking about something else)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users