Photo

P2L Header Logo Contest - Win 6 Months of ad space!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
167 replies to this topic

#1 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 12:47 AM

After COUNTLESS hours of playing with the Bowl of Pixels logo, I'm still not happy with it and staff is all over the place on what to do and what not to do. Personally, I love our bowl logo and will use it for large illustrations and ads etc... but for our header logo, it's just not fitting the way I would like it.

Donna just told me to shut up and have a contest!

So here's the deal: This is your chance to design a logo you think best suits the new Pixel2life site header area where you currently see the bowl. The winning entry will be awarded a 6 month partner ad spot (That's $750 in advertising) in our partner listing area on the right of the site! This is a chance for the folks that have told me they're not too keen on the logo to get it changed, plus win themselves a lot of traffic to their sites!

Some Guidelines

If you dig around and look at any large company, their logos are fairly simple and easily identifiable. I don't mind a nice shiny icon logo, in fact, that's what I love, but it needs to be a simple concept that looks good even if it's converted to a simple 2 tone image or silhouette. You'll notice that if you take most logos from say Adobe, HP, Apple etc... you recognize them even if they are solid black. I am looking for both a logo, and the site name and slogan (Pixel2Life - Learning Made Simple) in some nice type that matches the current layout and header.

Check out the posts by akkasone for an idea of the style of icons I like. Just bear in mind it's going to be small on that header, so complicated icons or logos won't look very good.

File Formats

A PSD with the logo on it's own layer is a must at the very least. Vector Scalable EPS/AI files would be great, but not essential, and I would be happy with just a logo already sized to the header.

How long?

I will run this contest until August 31st 2006, 11:59PM Est but if an entry is submitted that we all instantly fall in love with (hey, we can dream can't we?), we reserve the right to declare that entry a winner on the spot and end the contest early. If we don't have a winner by August 31st, then the bowl gets it!

Who can Enter

Anyone.. staff, members, guests... anyone and everyone can submit an entry.

How to Submit an Entry

Please email your entries to info at pixel2life dot com or use our contact form if you're having problems. You can also PM me.

Questions and Answers

As usual, send me your questions or post them in this thread and I will answer them here.

Good luck everyone!

Dan

Q. Can I submit more than 1 entry? Im thinking of maybe submitting about 3~5.
A. You can enter as many times as you like.

Q. What is my site isn't quite ready and I win? Can I save the advertising for later when my site is up.
A. Yes

Q. What exactly is the size limit of the logo for the header area.
A. You have from the top of the header where the green starts, to the bottom where the indent lines start. That works out to 65 pixels in height and I wouldn't go any wider than 380 pixels (including logo and words).

Q.I'll probably have a go at this.. but does the logo have to have something related to the site? Or can it be as random as I am?
A. Well, it's tough to say... I'd prefer an icon or logo that has something to do with learning, searching, community, art, programming etc... those are just some words to get ideas going. But who knows, amybe a random logo will look cool too. Go with your gut and it may kick ass!

Q. Im wondering, Are we allowed to put it up for display in this section for people to get a preview aswell?
A. Sure, you can share your work if you want.

As usual, send me your questions or post them in this thread and I will answer them here.

Good luck everyone!

Dan

#2 _*Zenom_*

_*Zenom_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2006 - 01:07 AM

Can I submit more than 1 entry? Im thinking of maybe submitting about 3~5.

-Zenom

Update:
I am putting all my entries in my gallery.

Edited by Zenom, 09 August 2006 - 12:40 AM.

#3 Griffin

Griffin

P2L Staff

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts
  • Interests:Things I find interesting.

Posted 08 August 2006 - 01:20 AM

What exactly is the size limit of the logo for the header area.

#4 Ben

Ben

P2L Jedi Master

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 01:25 AM

I'll probably have a go at this.. but does the logo have to have something related to the site? Or can it be as random as I am?

#5 BernardBlack

BernardBlack

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 01:34 AM

Hey darkstone ;)

Great idea, and good luck to all that enter it ;) I might have a go, but I'm not a very good logo designer :(

#6 _*Zenom_*

_*Zenom_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2006 - 02:19 AM

My new question:
Instead of creating a logo at 65x300 (what I mean is small), could we make it about 500x500? So you can resize it whenever you need it. And if you want a larger version for a wallpaper or something, you can use the large one. Most people (usually I do this) rasterize the images, rather than leaving it in its vector state.

#7 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 02:34 AM

My new question:
Instead of creating a logo at 65x300 (what I mean is small), could we make it about 500x500? So you can resize it whenever you need it. And if you want a larger version for a wallpaper or something, you can use the large one. Most people (usually I do this) rasterize the images, rather than leaving it in its vector state.

Whatever works dude... it's the concept I am having issues with... if someone creates an awesome logo, I'm not worried about reproducing it in a large image if I need it ;)

Dan

#8 sq3r

sq3r

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 239 posts
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 08 August 2006 - 02:53 AM

Can we make it really really awesome?

#9 annabella

annabella

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 04:13 AM

I think the now logo is good assorted with ;) theme of PIXEL2LIF, if real need to change it, the blow firstly

Edited by Donna, 08 August 2006 - 02:19 PM.

#10 Matthew.

Matthew.

Official Spammer .Matt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 04:19 AM

Wahey, i now have a reason to reinstall photoshop lol ;)

#11 nima

nima

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 07:22 AM

I have designed one and submitted..

Im wondering, Are we allowed to put it up for display in this section for people to get a preview aswell?

#12 Pepper

Pepper

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 09:38 AM

Im wondering, Are we allowed to put it up for display in this section for people to get a preview aswell?

that would be sweet...i don't know if i am going to submit one, but it would be cool to see everyone elses idear's

#13 TMZHosting LLC

TMZHosting LLC

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 211 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 10:37 AM

Yeah. Im not doing one but i would like to see how everone else's look.

#14 rmgr

rmgr

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 10:54 AM

Cool contest, I might be entering.

#15 α∂αмяoss

α∂αмяoss

P2L Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts
  • Interests:football, Manchester Utd., coding, web developement, business, girls and warcraft.

Posted 08 August 2006 - 11:04 AM

Good luck to everyone who enters this competition. Hope to see some really awesome entry's!!!!

#16 z77

z77

Content Contributor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 176 posts
  • Interests:Art, Computers, Goldfish, Church, Pizza, Ice Cream, Frisbee, Paintball, PHP, C4D, Photoshop, Friends :)

Posted 08 August 2006 - 11:46 AM

Great contest idea Dan! I am going to experiment a bit and see if I can come up with something =)

Also noted this at GreyCobra for our community to see.

#17 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 12:10 PM

Great contest idea Dan! I am going to experiment a bit and see if I can come up with something =)

Also noted this at GreyCobra for our community to see.

Thanks bud, appreciate the shoutout :P I'm VERY curious to see what you come up with ;)

Dan

#18 xis

xis

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 12:29 PM

:P <---- thats my entry ;)

If I win I'll donate my ad spot to someone :D

#19 Griffin

Griffin

P2L Staff

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts
  • Interests:Things I find interesting.

Posted 08 August 2006 - 12:50 PM

Well heres what ive whipped up so far...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I have the .AI and .psd files for all of these. There are also 1/2 tone versions of each logo.

Edited by Griffin, 09 August 2006 - 04:57 PM.

#20 α∂αмяoss

α∂αмяoss

P2L Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts
  • Interests:football, Manchester Utd., coding, web developement, business, girls and warcraft.

Posted 08 August 2006 - 01:10 PM

That's an extremely nice entry, Griffin!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users