• Please log in to reply
318 replies to this topic

#21 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 02:52 PM

ok u took that way to extreme dan. what i ment was that a business owner should be ABLE to do any job his employees can do. Not do them all. theres no point in employees if the owner does everything. im saying that he should be able to. then if this case should arrise the can take over temporily till he can get a new employee to take the job. An entire company shouldnt stop because 1 employee quit. thats what im saying. It shows really bad management when something such as this goes on.

and i know many business owners who are like this. thus why they are all so successful. Its called years of experience and working in every position before running your own company.

But that's false... A business owner should NOT know how to do it all, because there's no such thing, unless he has degrees in accounting, business management, computer science, marketing and more, not to mention countless certifications and designations such as a CGA or CA, and other related items. Any boss that says he can do it all if fooling himself... he may know a little something about each department, and that's fine, but there's no way he can just sit at anyone's desk and be expected to operate in the same capacity.

That's why you have cross employee training for redundancy... you have a backup employee that can fill in for the primary should something happen. I highly doubt the owner of Media Temple sits on the helpdesk when someone is sick, much less knows the complete procedure list for trouble shooting and escalation. It's not his job to know... the owner's priorities and requirements are nowhere near this need.

I've never met a business owner that has worked in every department of a company before starting his own... there's no such thing. Think about what you are saying for a minute.... What company would hire someone as a controller, when they're education is for network engineering??? Every business owner has a specialty, but the fatal mistake of the average business owner, especially the new ones is that they think they can do it all, and try until they have a heart attack or realize they have limitations and you need to let go and have your employees who know what they are doing take care of it. When you do that, you can no longer know everything about every department and know everything the employees of that department do. Hell, even large department managers (I've run departments with 5 to 100 people in them) can't know everything.

Dan

#22 Hayden

Hayden

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 07:50 PM

If you run a company you should be able to do everything everyother employee can do should this scenerio arrise...

No offense, but whoever told you that business rule is COMPLETELY wrong. The WORST kinds of business owners are the ones that think they can do anything their employees can. What should be in place is a redundancy system where every employee has a backup that can take over in case one is hit by a bus one day. I've worked for a couple of smallish companies where the owner thought he could do anything the employees did... it was the most annoying and ridiculous thing I have ever seen.

Dan

right. one of the main reasons in hiring help is to do what you either can't do or can't do efficiently. :)

ok u took that way to extreme dan. what i ment was that a business owner should be ABLE to do any job his employees can do. Not do them all. theres no point in employees if the owner does everything. im saying that he should be able to. then if this case should arrise the can take over temporily till he can get a new employee to take the job. An entire company shouldnt stop because 1 employee quit. thats what im saying. It shows really bad management when something such as this goes on.

and i know many business owners who are like this. thus why they are all so successful. Its called years of experience and working in every position before running your own company.

on a slighty larger scale... :)

but do you really think that the CEO of Verizon knows how to do a Customer Service job (running all the tools and following policies) or doing a Field Technicians job? Highly doubtful. B)

Edited by SpatialVisionary, 15 August 2006 - 07:54 PM.

#23 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 08:55 PM

If you run a company you should be able to do everything everyother employee can do should this scenerio arrise...

No offense, but whoever told you that business rule is COMPLETELY wrong. The WORST kinds of business owners are the ones that think they can do anything their employees can. What should be in place is a redundancy system where every employee has a backup that can take over in case one is hit by a bus one day. I've worked for a couple of smallish companies where the owner thought he could do anything the employees did... it was the most annoying and ridiculous thing I have ever seen.

Dan

right. one of the main reasons in hiring help is to do what you either can't do or can't do efficiently. :)

on a slighty larger scale... :D

but do you really think that the CEO of Verizon knows how to do a Customer Service job (running all the tools and following policies) or doing a Field Technicians job? Highly doubtful. :D

Well that's what I mean... any company that starts hitting a dozen or so employees and up, you can't know and do it all no matter how good you are.

Dan

#24 Matthew.

Matthew.

Official Spammer .Matt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 09:03 PM

Yup, whats the odds on Dan not being able to do Donna's job :)

Anyway, on topic wise i would love to hear from Ty himself, as time looms closer towards a point when i will need hosting :D

#25 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 09:11 PM

Yup, whats the odds on Dan not being able to do Donna's job :)

Anyway, on topic wise i would love to hear from Ty himself, as time looms closer towards a point when i will need hosting :D

lol I'm pretty sure he called me an animal once but not in a bad way, some people can do more in oneday than an average yogi bear does in a week I guess. I couldn't do Dan's job as it involves afternoon naps. :D

And yes back to topic

#26 _*Zenom_*

_*Zenom_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2006 - 08:16 PM

Your are right! DONT USE SERVERSEED! Because of their technical errors my site is offline, "bandwidth limit exceeded". They gave me the incorrect amount of bandwidth, and now im being slapped in the face for it. Tyler Lott, if for the off chances that you are reading this, please answer my support tickets, my emails, my instant messages, my personal messages, my phone calls, and fax.

Look,
  • Just login to your webhost cpanel
  • Look under my account, zenomgt
  • Edit the amount of bandwidth to the amount I paid for! I paid for 75GB of bandwidth! NOT 45!

#27 90Design

90Design

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 08:21 PM

Serverseed hasn't done anything for ZenomGT. We are constantly being ignored. You cant treat a paying customer this way!

Edited by 90Design, 18 August 2006 - 08:21 PM.

#28 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 08:32 PM

Wish I knew what to tell you guys... not my company, so I don't know. I've just put in a call for Zenom too.

Dan

#29 austen

austen

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 910 posts
  • Interests:Web design, snowboarding (lots of it), Computer science related.

Posted 19 August 2006 - 12:42 AM

I Still LOVE serverseed :P

#30 Fsquad

Fsquad

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 08:01 AM

What annoys me the most is that I have to find this out here. My account suddenly got deactivated 10 days ago and an old account with permission problems, that could not get resolved, from last year got activated again for some dark reason. E-mail addresses, subdomains,... it's all messed up.
(how is it possible that old inactive accounts are still around on servers? negligent administration if u ask me)
I’m losing visitors and costumers are complaining.

Tyler could at least sent a mass e-mail (that takes only 2 seconds) to explain to his costumers what the problem is. If I didn’t cross this and other threads on the net , I would have had no idea, he could have been killed in a car accident or something for what I knew.

I submitted a ticked 8 days ago and got no reply so far.
Lost my patience today and sent one again.

I'm an understanding customer and I assume most people are, but if he's not going to give me some explanation anytime soon why it is taking him so long I’ll be moving everything to an other hosting company.

He should give customers that cant afford them selves to not being helped in a week the chance to make the choice of moving on to an other web host instead of keeping us in the dark. I can wait a week, but I want an explanation.

In the main while I’ve crossed several threads with complaints, this is going to cost him a lot more if he's not going to inform his customers anytime soon. If we don’t get our awnsers from him, we’ll search it on the net and open threads like this.
I think we all know how important mouth to mouth publicity is.

Edited by Fsquad, 19 August 2006 - 08:10 AM.

#31 Barkeeper

Barkeeper

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 04:27 PM

Look,

• Just login to your webhost cpanel
  • Look under my account, zenomgt
  • Edit the amount of bandwidth to the amount I paid for! I paid for 75GB of bandwidth! NOT 45!

I think he knows how to manage accounts. :)

#32 _*Zenom_*

_*Zenom_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2006 - 04:41 PM

I think he knows how to manage accounts. :)

Could you believe the new employee fixed the problem? Its a coincidence really; I haven't gotten any responses all this time until I posted in this topic; & with the help of Faken of course!

Im grateful its been resolved, and im hoping this sort of service may continue for a long, long time.

Regards,
Zenom

#33 barrington

barrington

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 08:42 AM

Hi there,
I got here after being referred by a friend.
I too am on Serverseed with www.keiraknightley.com
Our site has been moved to a mystery server "Zeta" which doesn't appear on their lists; the site is down ten or more times every day and is far slower to respond than it's ever been in the past.
More frustratingly, our FTP access has been knocked out for WEEKS now. We can't actually log-in to our site to make any changes!! This is absolutely crucifying for a celebrity fansite; we can't upload anything!

One of our secondary sites has had its ability to parse PHP removed, so none of the includes work any more and the site looks like its been hit by a bomb. Of course we can't log-in to fix it!

Same story as the rest of you; no communication from Serverseed for weeks now... we're getting desperate!

I do understand that things like this happen sometimes, but Serverseed's 'disaster management' certainly needs a one-over. Don't get me wrong, they're the best hosting company I've ever used and Tyler is certainly the most friendly, most accomodating, most flexible hoster I've ever met - just this whole experience has left us all a little bit burned.

I hope the situation is resolved soon.

Barrington
www.keiraknightley.com

#34 Hoot

Hoot

* Hooty Tooty Fruit *

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts
  • Interests:Making Websites, Working in 3D, Playing the Drums

Posted 20 August 2006 - 01:04 PM

You dont need to advertise your site barrington

and the Zeta server did appear on there list at one time.

Hoot

#35 Stu

Stu

Retired P2L Staff

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 01:38 PM

ive had so many issues with serverseed it is getting ridiculous now. im not even going to bother going into them all but the most recent one is that the server im on was exploited... so my site, and a couple days later two friends site were all hacked. instead of replying to my two support tickets i find out through jay what the problem was and even then the answer was barely acceptable due to the fact it was about 6 words long. Ty has alot of explaining to do methinks. ive even lost a client over this which has really pissed me off.

i can sympathise with ty's apparent issues at the moment, but to be honest it is not any of our problems. its his responsibility to get it sorted as soon as possible so you will find very minimal (if any) amounts of sympathy coming from this end. i just want what i effing paid for. or maybe thats just cus im an a*******.

one other gripe i have is how he since my support ticket was sent in or a couple of days before i think ive seen ty make a couple of posts on here about the hammertime and how some stuff was fixed. i cant remember what exactly it was. but anyways, were all paying customers, so why does p2l (no personal digs intended there btw) get this support and not the rest of us? i could maybe understand if he prioritised slightly, and answered our tickets slightly later on in the day, but 2 weeks? come on, its just taking the piss.

zenom - the same kind of thing happened to my a few months ago, i replied in a thread (although off topic) commenting on serverseeds support (or lack thereof) and within hours my ticket which was over a week old was answered.

as much as it pains me to say it, i wish i had taken donnas advice about paying for so long up front, now my money is wasted and im going to move hosts without any refund.

i definately wouldnt recommend serverseed to anyone. which is quite a shame cus when i first begun at SS nearly 12 months ago i was very impressed, shame its gone down the s*****r now though.

i could probably write a few pages about all this but i cant be bothered anymore as im that angry. lesson learnt.

#36 _*Zenom_*

_*Zenom_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2006 - 01:43 PM

Hmm, I see many people are having problems with serverseed. I believe they got their new employee, so I hope they can straight things out now.

-Zenom

#37 Stu

Stu

Retired P2L Staff

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 01:46 PM

well so do i for everyone elses sake, but unfortunately this latest debacle has tipped me over the edge.

#38 funkysoul

funkysoul

The Funky Stuff

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,307 posts
  • Interests:Music: HIM, HIM, HIM, Cafe del Mar, Linkin Park, Fort Minor, Coldplay, Eric Jordan<br />Sports: Snowboarding, KiteSurfing, Extreme Sports<br />Computer: Flash, After Effects, Actionscript

Posted 20 August 2006 - 01:51 PM

Stu speaks out of my mind

I had once a client where I recommended to move over to Serverseed, after opening the account and paying it, we didn't had access to cPanel.. some passwords went loose.. After writing 8 emails and trying to get any support, they suddenly moved us over to a new server and also sent an email apologizing for the "bumpy ride". After all, everything was fine again.. but I think there is no need to write 8 emails to get something solved.

I have my stuff hosted at (mt) and as soon as I send a ticket or an email to their NOC, I get a reply within 6hours, which is quite customerfriendly.

I don't want to put any fault on Ty, Faken already explained what's all about and so on, though I think that Ty should have informed his customers directly, I hope that things turn out well for serverseed and Ty, and that this discussion can be closed..

Edited by funkysoul, 20 August 2006 - 01:52 PM.

#39 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 02:09 PM

as much as it pains me to say it, i wish i had taken donnas advice about paying for so long up front, now my money is wasted and im going to move hosts without any refund.

I went back to Serverseed a few months ago if you read my post above, and even wrote I had problems when I was first with them I made no secret about mainly due to the different php versions and the mysql was going nuts and back then I wasn't getting my tickets answered btw it turned out my isp was blocking the emails coming through because later checking they were answered, so I moved straight off because I cannot afford downtime.

Happy to say I have not had onedays downtime in over 2mths since moving back to ServerSeed.

tysoft got screwed over theres no doubt about that and I believe he has someone with him now and all will be sorted none of us know the true position he's in or what mess he has in front of him to sort out, and honestly as you state Stu it's not our problem especially if we're the paying client.

If you have been hacked then reinstall your backups (you should all be doing these yourselves daily), maybe Canenart can help you as he too was badly hacked and managed to sort his out.

#40 Matthew.

Matthew.

Official Spammer .Matt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 02:15 PM

(MT) are an amazing host everyone knows that, probably the best i know of, but p2l discount at SS soooo tempting lol.

As i said before, i will wait for the outcome of this :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users