318 replies to this topic

#41 Stu

Stu

Retired P2L Staff

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 02:43 PM

I went back to Serverseed a few months ago if you read my post above, and even wrote I had problems when I was first with them I made no secret about mainly due to the different php versions and the mysql was going nuts and back then I wasn't getting my tickets answered btw it turned out my isp was blocking the emails coming through because later checking they were answered, so I moved straight off because I cannot afford downtime.

yeh i saw your post, i was only referring to a conversation we had when i was moaning to you about how bad the support was, and told you i would switch if i hadnt paid for 6 months hosting, to which you replied 'you should never pay that much upfront for hosting'... and that is the lesson ive learnt from this.

i have my backups, but my ticket was asking him some other questions about it all. my latest file backup is a month old or something (not that that matters as none of the files have changed) and my databases are still intact (and i have recent backups), but the backups arent working with the files and i dont have a clue what the problem is. but anyways, this isnt a problem to try fix on here, this is the kind of problem that i pay my webhost 9 dollars a month to help me fix.

#42 funkysoul

funkysoul

The Funky Stuff

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,307 posts
  • Interests:Music: HIM, HIM, HIM, Cafe del Mar, Linkin Park, Fort Minor, Coldplay, Eric Jordan<br />Sports: Snowboarding, KiteSurfing, Extreme Sports<br />Computer: Flash, After Effects, Actionscript

Posted 20 August 2006 - 02:59 PM

If you have been hacked then reinstall your backups (you should all be doing these yourselves daily), maybe

Honestly D, making backups every day sounds like you have been hacked quite a lot.. ;)
Lastly it's a matter of the hosting company to keep their servers "hack-safe" (though I know that nothing is 100% safe out on the net) but at the hosting company should do their own daily backups, I'm not paying my hosting service just for maintaing a DNS account and a mail server ;)
I agree with making backups, but on a daily basis.. ??!!

(MT) are an amazing host everyone knows that, probably the best i know of, but p2l discount at SS soooo tempting lol.

As i said before, i will wait for the outcome of this :D

Yep, they rock! :D
no comment to the discount of SS, If I refer one or two clients to (mt) I get 2 months free hosting.. enough discount..

I went back to Serverseed a few months ago if you read my post above, and even wrote I had problems when I was first with them I made no secret about mainly due to the different php versions and the mysql was going nuts and back then I wasn't getting my tickets answered btw it turned out my isp was blocking the emails coming through because later checking they were answered, so I moved straight off because I cannot afford downtime.

yeh i saw your post, i was only referring to a conversation we had when i was moaning to you about how bad the support was, and told you i would switch if i hadnt paid for 6 months hosting, to which you replied 'you should never pay that much upfront for hosting'... and that is the lesson ive learnt from this.

i have my backups, but my ticket was asking him some other questions about it all. my latest file backup is a month old or something (not that that matters as none of the files have changed) and my databases are still intact (and i have recent backups), but the backups arent working with the files and i dont have a clue what the problem is. but anyways, this isnt a problem to try fix on here, this is the kind of problem that i pay my webhost 9 dollars a month to help me fix.

To the paying upfront issue: I've payed 2 years on advance for (mt) and I'm satisfied with them.
I think that as long as the hostin company is a good and reliable one, with a LOT of experience with major websites, you can pay upfront without caring much about it.

As mentioned above regarding the backup issue.. It's a matter of both parts to get the backup up & running again, as nothing would have happened.. your site/blog looks like it has been hacked a while ago, and nothing has changed till then.. but as you already said.. for what are you paying 9$/month for? ;)
Let them do that for you

#43 Stu

Stu

Retired P2L Staff

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 03:05 PM

i make backups every once in a while, maybe once every 2-3 week or once a month, but not once a day...

yeh its been nearly 3 weeks tiago, my portfolio is fine but all the other sites including mine and matts blog are still down and even replacing all the files does not work :D but anyways...

To the paying upfront issue: I've payed 2 years on advance for (mt) and I'm satisfied with them.
I think that as long as the hostin company is a good and reliable one, with a LOT of experience with major websites, you can pay upfront without caring much about it.

i got the impression serverseed was one of these companies :D

#44 funkysoul

funkysoul

The Funky Stuff

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,307 posts
  • Interests:Music: HIM, HIM, HIM, Cafe del Mar, Linkin Park, Fort Minor, Coldplay, Eric Jordan<br />Sports: Snowboarding, KiteSurfing, Extreme Sports<br />Computer: Flash, After Effects, Actionscript

Posted 20 August 2006 - 03:10 PM

i got the impression serverseed was one of these companies :D

Let's be honest.. the only big website they host and mention on their website is pixel2life
That just doesn't give me enough reliability to buy something from them, but as mentioned on a few posts before, I bet Ty is trying to get things backup asap.

I just don't like when people put companies / people into one pot, just because they had bad experiences with one of the same kind.

EDIT: I still think that Ty is doing a great job at least at the P2L part, I remember the bumpy ride that P2L has a while ago, and how Ty fixed it in a adequate time..

Edited by funkysoul, 20 August 2006 - 03:13 PM.

#45 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 03:16 PM

If you have been hacked then reinstall your backups (you should all be doing these yourselves daily), maybe

Honestly D, making backups every day sounds like you have been hacked quite a lot.. :D
Lastly it's a matter of the hosting company to keep their servers "hack-safe" (though I know that nothing is 100% safe out on the net) but at the hosting company should do their own daily backups, I'm not paying my hosting service just for maintaing a DNS account and a mail server :D
I agree with making backups, but on a daily basis.. ??!!

I run a dedicated server so I do them anyways plus I like my clients files backed up cus you just never know with all the nuters around today. I've always backed up and never rely 100% on any host to do that, that's where people are misleaded because it's not really a hosts responsibility to back your files up.

Pixel2Life is also backed up daily most big sites do.

It's also not the hosts responsibility if your site is hacked they can only protect your site so much if it's the server then they need to fix it so the problem won't occur again, a lot of people have no clue how to remain on the latest software and when their site gets hacked they blame the host, well if your using outdated software who's fault is that? (not saying anyone here is but you see it all over the web)

Anyways not defending Serverseed in anyways, but they are 2 reasons people get misleaded, even if a hosts states they do daily backups you should be doing them yourselves afterall they're your files depends how much you value them.

#46 funkysoul

funkysoul

The Funky Stuff

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,307 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 03:24 PM

excerpt of (mt) backup statement:

Triple-Protection Backup
(mt) Media Temple has gone to great lengths to make sure we have provided adequate protection against accidental data loss.

• The 1st level of protection is the "backup control" inside the WebControl panel. The backup control allows you to manually or automate scheduled backup pages of your entire site, email boxes and other hosting related contact. This can be stored locally on your computer or it can be sent to a remote FTP server.

• The 2nd level of protection is the RAID system (Redundant Array of Disks) on the server where your site is hosted. RAID protects against the fail of actual storage hardware by redundantly striping data across multiple disks which greatly minimizes the risk of data loss.

• The 3rd level of protection is (mt) Media Temple's highly-secure data backup network. Weekly your site is copied within our special backup network which is then sent to data tapes. Data tapes are then archived on a periodic basis in safe vault storage.

After reading this, and having such a great team standing behind you on the hosting stage, I don't really care much about having a backup or not :D

Don't misunderstand me, I also do my backups when I change bigger things on my site, and I agree that sites like p2l need to backup on a daily basis. But lastly.. it's the job of both parts to take care of such issues.

#47 _*Zenom_*

_*Zenom_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2006 - 03:25 PM

(MT) are an amazing host everyone knows that, probably the best i know of, but p2l discount at SS soooo tempting lol.

As i said before, i will wait for the outcome of this :D

I never noticed MT provides 1.5TB of bandwidth for only 15 dollars a month? That is like...AMAZING!

#48 Stu

Stu

Retired P2L Staff

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 03:26 PM

the thing with me is i have virtually no reason to backup so often, i have a couple of static sites on my hosting, 2 blogs, and a portfolio. none of the files change often so i just do database backups.

edit: guess who is moving to (mt) then :D

Edited by Stu, 20 August 2006 - 03:28 PM.

#49 funkysoul

funkysoul

The Funky Stuff

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,307 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 03:32 PM

the thing with me is i have virtually no reason to backup so often, i have a couple of static sites on my hosting, 2 blogs, and a portfolio. none of the files change often so i just do database backups.

edit: guess who is moving to (mt) then :D

If you move to (mt) don't forget to put my domain name in the referal field :D

#50 Hoot

Hoot

* Hooty Tooty Fruit *

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts
  • Interests:Making Websites, Working in 3D, Playing the Drums

Posted 20 August 2006 - 03:52 PM

On the topic of backing up, which backup type do you use? Home Directory or Full Backups because it says for me that full backups can only be restored by the admin.

Hoot

#51 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 03:59 PM

MT has great service, but their prices are nothing short of insane. The same package in terms of hardware and BW at MT is 5 times the price of what I pay with Server Seed. When I asked why such a jump, he simply said "because we're MT". I laughed and said thanks but no thanks.

Dan

#52 funkysoul

funkysoul

The Funky Stuff

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,307 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 04:21 PM

tbh.. I don't care much about the price jump.. If I'm happy with the service, I pay for the service I get and that's fine.. I rather pay a bit more then have to hassle about such Issues like serverseed has atm..

#53 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 04:39 PM

tbh.. I don't care much about the price jump.. If I'm happy with the service, I pay for the service I get and that's fine.. I rather pay a bit more then have to hassle about such Issues like serverseed has atm..

I dunno... $2000 for a dedicated box on less BW than I have now is crazy. If it means I have to wait an hour for service instead of 2 minutes, I think I can live with that at the moment.

Dan

#54 _*Zenom_*

_*Zenom_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2006 - 05:03 PM

I dunno... $2000 for a dedicated box on less BW than I have now is crazy. If it means I have to wait an hour for service instead of 2 minutes, I think I can live with that at the moment.

Dan

Faken, would you mind if you shared your current hosting specs? Like how much space + bandwidth, and your on a dedicated server right, not shared?

#55 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 07:37 PM

Dan

Faken, would you mind if you shared your current hosting specs? Like how much space + bandwidth, and your on a dedicated server right, not shared?

I'm on a completely dedicated box... it's a dual core dual opteron CPU based machine with 3.5TB of BW, 2GBs of ram and a couple of 80GB Raid drives if I remember correctly.

Dan

#56 Matthew.

Matthew.

Official Spammer .Matt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 07:44 PM

Hey Faken,

If we're not going completely off topic here (drifting so far i think i can just make out china though) can i ask how much BW p2l actually uses a month? Im randomly interested lol. I guess its gone down since v3 due to the recode? Or hasnt it been a month yet. God i forget lol.

Edited by .Matt, 20 August 2006 - 07:46 PM.

#57 ktd

ktd

* Something Ain't Right *

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 07:46 PM

Dan

I'm on a completely dedicated box... it's a dual core dual opteron CPU based machine with 3.5TB of BW, 2GBs of ram and a couple of 80GB Raid drives if I remember correctly.

Dan

Don't you have 2 of them? 1 for the site and 1 for the MySQL?

#58 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 08:14 PM

Dan

Dan

Don't you have 2 of them? 1 for the site and 1 for the MySQL?

We used to have 2 servers... a dual Xeon for the site and another dual Xeon for MySQL. Now we run a single box with a dual core dual opteron (which is basically 4 64-bit processors). This single box is faster than the combined power of the 2 servers we had before.

As for BW, we average between 250 and 350 GB a month for P2L (I have other sites on this box). I think overall we use about 500 - 600GB a month unless it was a month where I hosted a large movie file or something on one of my other sites.

Dan

#59 _*Zenom_*

_*Zenom_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2006 - 08:17 PM

*SCREAMS*. I didnt know serverseed had dedicated servers for sale.

Edited by Zenom, 20 August 2006 - 08:17 PM.

#60 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 08:24 PM

*SCREAMS*. I didnt know serverseed had dedicated servers for sale.

tysoft has always said he can set up a plan besides what's advertised, he doesn't advertise them, I also have my own server with them and very happy. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users