• This topic is locked This topic is locked
23 replies to this topic

#1 Trix06

Trix06

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 292 posts
  • Interests:Web Design & Development, Graphic Design, Programming, Networking, Girls, The Beach, Amatuer Radio Communications and more.

Posted 13 September 2006 - 05:05 AM

G'day All,

I have spent some hours trying to come up with somthing that is unique (maybe) and somthing that is clever and never done before. I need some feedback and some further ideas for this template to give it some more depth and professional feel. I'm open to critisism and opinion, so do not feel bad if you have an idea, let me know all comments are appreciated and taken into account. I will be using the final version of this template on my new website I plan to open shortly.

Kind Regards
Jordan (Trix)

Attached Files

Edited by Trix06, 13 September 2006 - 05:10 AM.

#2 Bug

Bug

P2L Staff

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 06:01 AM

Hey Jordan,

Good job so far with your design!! I really like how you've made the banner.
At the moment you're only trying to get the layout worked out, aren't you?
In my opinion, I would try and add a bit more contrast underneath where the content and side bar are. You use of colours is alright at the moment.

Depth = More contrast :blink:

It shall be good to see what happens... keep us posted :P

#3 Trix06

Trix06

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 292 posts
  • Interests:Web Design & Development, Graphic Design, Programming, Networking, Girls, The Beach, Amatuer Radio Communications and more.

Posted 13 September 2006 - 06:10 AM

Thankyou Bug! I really appreciate all your comments and I'm writing things down. This site will eventually after I have completed the design become a fully database driven website. As for the contrast, what colour do you think would be appropriate?

Kind Regards
Jordan (Trix)

#4 chaoslight

chaoslight

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 220 posts
  • Interests:Computer, coding, designing...

Posted 13 September 2006 - 06:22 AM

cool. Its a nice job so far :blink: Well done.

I think it'll look great with some content.

#5 Trix06

Trix06

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 292 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 06:28 AM

Thankyou Chaoslight! I want to get the design out of the way, and then I will be programming the site using PHP & MySQL and then adding some content and launching the site. I could add some sample text to the content areas on the image and add another screenshot of it here, if you would like to see it with something in the content area.

Kind Regards
Jordan (Trix)

#6 Bug

Bug

P2L Staff

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 06:29 AM

Well, I was reading another persons Site Feedback post thingy and they mentioned a site called http://www.colorblender.com/ I used it for the last web layout I made... and it turned out having two of the colours I needed for that colour scheme. See if that helps. :P

Also, you mentioned in your first post that you want to go for something that's unique and is original (clever and never done before :blink:). Well, I find myself in one of two situations:

1: I'll go to the drawing board (yes that's right, the A4 paper) and draw out exactly what I want to see not thinking of anything else while doing it... just making it come straight out of my head with NO STOPPING!

OR

2:
Instead of drawing it on paper I'll go straight to doing it on the PC.

Depends how I feel at the time ;) Physically drawing out what you want on a sheet of paper probably turns out with the best result because I'm not limiting myself to what I think I'm able to do. See, if I were to go straight to the graphics software and start designing, I won't be able to think outside the box like I should be. Does this make sense? I hope so. Any questions, keep asking ;)

#7 Trix06

Trix06

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 292 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 06:34 AM

Yes fully understand the paper business. I have done this many of times, adding little extras, definately the way to go. As for the colour blender tool, I will check it out and see if I can find something that is suitable to this template. The weekend is not too far away so I will have 2days to spare on getting the design finished and the template sliced up, so I can then start the programming of the database etc. Anyway nice to meet you here, I will keep you posted over the weekend. :blink:

#8 Netcades

Netcades

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 12:39 PM

I'm not feeling those grass brushes on the header, it's flat and low quality.

#9 d2Squared

d2Squared

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 828 posts
  • Interests:Swimmig<br />Web-design<br />Starcraft

Posted 13 September 2006 - 01:44 PM

true, the grass is pretty flat and also doesnt seem real, maybe try working more on the grass, and if it doesnt work, get rid of them and make something else.
The site will sure look better with some text, when its coded. Maybe give it a little border? for the content area? dont know, try out things.
umm...ye, thats so far what i have to say.
when you get updates i would like to see it.

#10 Trix06

Trix06

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 292 posts
  • Interests:Web Design &amp; Development, Graphic Design, Programming, Networking, Girls, The Beach, Amatuer Radio Communications and more.

Posted 14 September 2006 - 04:43 AM

G'day Guys,

Firstly what I have to say is I like the way you guys have helped. I have tried to implement all of your ideas, to come up with a reasonable design, that easy to identify. Anyway I made 2 versions of this design, with only slight alterations. If you have opinions on either of these 2 please let me know and see if we can improve this any further, then I will slice it up and start on the programming.

:rolleyes:

Attached Files

Edited by Trix06, 14 September 2006 - 04:47 AM.

#11 Illinifan91

Illinifan91

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 04:47 PM

to tell you the thruth i dont really like it its just kinda the usuall and simple try making more effects and more creative ifs its a design website.

#12 Rory

Rory

Jedi In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 378 posts
  • Interests:Php, Html, Css, Javascript, ASP.NET, Photoshop, soccer, rigby, cricket, viticulture, Ruby#, C#, AJAX.

Posted 15 September 2006 - 01:39 AM

I love the header, so clean. And I like the rest of the design as well. Good content boxes. I can't wait to see your finished result! :D

#13 Trix06

Trix06

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 292 posts
  • Interests:Web Design &amp; Development, Graphic Design, Programming, Networking, Girls, The Beach, Amatuer Radio Communications and more.

Posted 15 September 2006 - 06:40 AM

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm now starting another design which could possibly be the template I will use. I will post it here shortly.

:D

#14 d2Squared

d2Squared

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 828 posts
  • Interests:Swimmig<br />Web-design<br />Starcraft

Posted 15 September 2006 - 08:23 AM

i still dont like the grass there, its ugly

#15 hazard

hazard

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 03:21 PM

i still dont like the grass there, its ugly

Now that I've took a second look at the grass, it is sorta blury for me. Kinda throws my eyes off.

#16 xis

xis

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 04:25 PM

My advice would be to get rid the grass all together.

I mean you stated you'd like to make something thats "different."
About half the blogs I've seen lately have one of either grassy or some
sort of tunnel as the header.

I'd lose the grass completely.

Just my opinion.

#17 tomh

tomh

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 06:24 AM

I would put something else insted of grass, but if you like that grass so much try to find another grass :D

ok bad joke

try devide the grass in several groups and duplicate some of them, than try with blening options (droping shadows, transeprency etc.) to modify them.

#18 Trix06

Trix06

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 292 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 06:39 PM

Ok, it's simple not too over powering but I like it, now I need your comments. ;)

You can see the new template at JS Web Design

#19 Rory

Rory

Jedi In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 378 posts
  • Interests:Php, Html, Css, Javascript, ASP.NET, Photoshop, soccer, rigby, cricket, viticulture, Ruby#, C#, AJAX.

Posted 16 September 2006 - 07:33 PM

Oooooh. I really like the header and the clean look. Only suggestion is some sort of footer as it seems to just cut off. Really nice design though. ;)

#20 mattyK

mattyK

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 201 posts
  • Interests:Graphic Design, Soccer, Hockey, Guitar, CKY

Posted 16 September 2006 - 07:36 PM

Ya it's really nice, not a big fan of the menu personally, but still good for sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users