#1 lostseed

lostseed

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 225 posts
  • Interests:Illustrator, Photoshop, PHP, CSS, XHTML

Posted 27 September 2006 - 03:39 AM

The last thing I made and finished was that chess set and Ive been practicing 3dstudio max and it's really a headache sometimes. I tried modeling a human and it was decent but it came out looking way too fake :ph34r: So I was making a room (architechural stuff) and I got really bored because I dont really like architechure haha.

I spent about 3 hours on this so far (Ill be faster some day I hope!) , my '68 Camaro reference images are messed up, they are not scaled correctly in the photographs so Im trying to make it look right. By the way Camaro / TransAm / FireBird are my favorite cars, thats why I wanted to start with this instead of making a lamborgini I can never afford hhaha, even though i can get reference images that are perfect.

I've never made a 3d car before so this is step one, Ill post once I update each one.
Im having a lot of trouble getting a Spline to attach to an Edible Mesh, then use it to round the wheel wells and make windows.

Here is my rough modeling so far:
Posted Image

This isn't really anything to comment on yet until I make it look cooler and do some fine details. :D
**I say my length of experience so I dont get dissed too bad haha, and so if it looks cool that you could probably learn it too.

Edited by lostseed, 27 September 2006 - 03:42 AM.

#2 Davey

Davey

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts
  • Interests:Creativity, Adrenaline, Etc

Posted 27 September 2006 - 04:03 AM

i've tried 3d modelling but i'm hopeless... managed to get my blueprints all setup etc but i just cant grasp the actual modellin bit lol

looks good so far

#3 lostseed

lostseed

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 225 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 05:19 AM

I downloaded a few 3d apps a year ago and tried them, gave up, deleted. Tried again, gave up, deleted. haha. The only way its working for me little by little is if you are committed and doing it all the time haha, it kinda stinks haha. :ph34r:

Edited by lostseed, 27 September 2006 - 05:19 AM.

#4 Davey

Davey

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 05:23 AM

sounds so familiar... i just need to find a well noted 3d tutorial for car modelling lol

#5 lostseed

lostseed

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 225 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 05:40 PM

Ya I been doing this whole thing all wrong, it gets really confusing. So Im scratching this project and making a drawing of a car I drew and doin it a different way.

Everytime I do something I find a better way to do it so I never finish anything haha ;)

You should try some 3d. I would HIGHLY recommend Cinema 4d. I dont know why I am using 3dsmax, but I used C4D for a week before and the entire GUI is so user friendly and a few tutorials in that and you'll be suprised how amazing it is :D

#6 lostseed

lostseed

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 225 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 08:22 AM

I have to do this all over I keep doing it wrong, my second time now haha.
I am having so much trouble keeping everything in Tri-s and Quad's that it goes bezerk when I put any smoothing on it. It really stinks I got about 5 hours into it too and redid it, and messed up again.

I guess thats the price you pay for being a newbie. Haha, I need to read some more manuals :P

#7 Davey

Davey

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 08:30 AM

lol yea, the main thing is (hopefully) u will learn from any mistakes u've made :P

#8 lostseed

lostseed

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 225 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 09:49 AM

(just a quick preview render)
Posted Image

Okay I fixed a LOT of vertice mistakes lol, now I can rough model in the car and make it look more like the actual thing :o (still gotta fix the rear spoiler, its splitting for some reason.

And ill fix the size of everything heh, i didnt realize the task was going to be this difficult haha. Maybe next time I should try something like a cartoon character! Even though modeling a head is my worst nightmare!!

Edited by lostseed, 30 September 2006 - 09:50 AM.

#9 Spide®™

Spide®™

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 03:30 PM

N1 lostseed m8
The update is looking really good
i know how much of a pain 3d work can be, iv got max and C4D, but i aint used them for a bit
Hope you carry on with this project m8
would love to see the finished

#10 SebLev

SebLev

Forum Whore is what I am today!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 03:53 PM

your oding really good on this update... mostly to really like modeling you have to find the program you like the most... if you like cinema 4D then use that instead.... my preference is Maya i actualy just bought it not long ago too.... hardest part i find is finding good tutorials... some that can actualy bring you step by step threw it.... I've bought a couple books and htey are actualy not bad... I still can't model cars tho lol never found a good tutorial for maya on cars....

but yeah keep it up its looking awsome...

#11 Davey

Davey

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 07:07 PM

your oding really good on this update... mostly to really like modeling you have to find the program you like the most... if you like cinema 4D then use that instead.... my preference is Maya i actualy just bought it not long ago too.... hardest part i find is finding good tutorials... some that can actualy bring you step by step threw it.... I've bought a couple books and htey are actualy not bad... I still can't model cars tho lol never found a good tutorial for maya on cars....

but yeah keep it up its looking awsome...

nice tut here for maya...
http://www.deviantar...ation/28335119/

great update m8 - nice colour too hehe

#12 lostseed

lostseed

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 225 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 10:02 AM

For sure, Maya I tried the student version (or that demo one), that's probably the most confusing 3D program I've used to this day. Although I've never tried SoftImage XSI.

I actually really like LightWave. 3ds Max isnt too bad, but the tools and settings are so weird, it seems like someone put it together really fast and didn't care how it looked. On the other hand, LightWave is so organized and super lightweight and clean GUI that Id love to try it more. The tutorials they go through are so fast I have no idea what they are doing. I guess if you get good at lightwave its just using the keyboard half the time haha.

Posted Image
I wanna rough it in then fine tune it later, because if i keep fine tuning it ill never get it done.
I am gonna make smaller hood scoops.
Im not sure how I should make the glass, Ill just guess and do it. Thats pretty much all Ive been doing haha :)
Still thinking how Im going to do the door seams and hood seams. Probably Chamfer a line then bevel -.1.

Edited by lostseed, 01 October 2006 - 10:28 AM.

#13 lostseed

lostseed

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 225 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 12:50 PM

Just added some low poly tires. Im procrastinating on the body :)
Posted Image

#14 lostseed

lostseed

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 225 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 06:35 PM

smoothing shaping some parts - fixed front grille/lights (will be round eventually), and getting the sharp edges prepared (trying atleast), playing around with it a little :)

Added the window frames, the driver side is gettin messed up I have no idea why, I searched all around too, so Im going to redo it, probably take 15 minutes. (yeah im slow) :P

Once it gets smoothed right and textured with a glossy paint it will look sexy :D
And yeah, Im going to detail the tires later and make chairs.

Posted Image

Edited by lostseed, 01 October 2006 - 06:37 PM.

#15 lostseed

lostseed

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 225 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 10:43 PM

Im going to do custom smoothing i feel more functional with it. Anyways here it is now, I worked a total of 6 hours so far on it. Its taking long because Im a newbie okay!! I think Ill be switching to lightwave after Im done with this model because I feel like Im grasping the 3d concept quickly.

http://www.jream.com...camaro-p6ss.gif

Im going to do custom smoothing i feel more functional with it. Anyways here it is now, I worked a total of 6 hours so far on it. Its taking long because Im a newbie okay!! I think Ill be switching to lightwave after Im done with this model because I feel like Im grasping the 3d concept quickly.

camaro-p6ss.gif

--- Edit ------------------
Changed image to a url because it was breaking the forum tables.

Edited by Canen Art, 23 October 2006 - 05:52 AM.

#16 Spide®™

Spide®™

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 10:49 PM

Yeah, thats coming along really nice now m8
you have been really busy on this i see from your last update i commented on
Its really awesome, to say you started the whole thing with out of shape blue prints also

GJ m8 , cant wate to see the finished, but i think you should have a breather m8 lol

#17 lostseed

lostseed

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 225 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 08:34 PM

Ive been thinking about this and i got back to playing around with it.

Pretty much I learned a lot about 3d by correcting my mistakes.
I decided since this wont look good as a realistic car Im going to make it cartoon like.

I am kind of liking it like this to be honest. The Cell Shading look. I still have to get the right
Cell Shaded look of course and do the other parts ^_^

I have been playing with Lightwave so I havent used 3dsmax. I kinda like both lol.
By the way in my opinion Lightwave is about 3 times harder to learn than 3dsmax lol. It also is two programs Modeler and Layout, not like 3dsmax which is all in one (which makes Lightwave faster). Lightwave will be good if you because an expert with all the keys and stuff, you would be able to do INSANE fast modeling.

Attached Files

Edited by lostseed, 09 October 2006 - 08:36 PM.

#18 Davey

Davey

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 02:00 AM

toons are kool :)

#19 g00se

g00se

Young Padawan