29 replies to this topic

#1 zoom4267

zoom4267

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 10:03 AM

could someone please give me an idea of what to charge for making a web site. i know there are alot of variables. but i am not sure what to tell a client. its probably about 4-5 pages, nice clean simple design.

thanks a bunch

Lisa

#2 Jacorre

Jacorre

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Technology, Internet, Graphic/Web Design, Music, Soccer

Posted 17 January 2007 - 10:48 AM

It really depends. Some charge per page and and any other features are extra money, some charge by hour and just give one lump sum.

#3 Archangel

Archangel

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 988 posts
  • Interests:Reading (mainly fantasy books), Gaming (Xbox 360, Wii & PS3), Sports, Outdoor Recreation, Watching/Collecting Movies

Posted 17 January 2007 - 12:08 PM

One way I've done it is to simply ask what their budget is. I did that last year and re-built a website for $6,750...they liked me, and offered me a raise to $7,300 simply to keep it updated...what would I have charged if I would have just given them a price...$1,000 maybe...so yeah...asking them what their budget is can definitely be a good thing!

#4 zoom4267

zoom4267

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 12:26 PM

One way I've done it is to simply ask what their budget is. I did that last year and re-built a website for $6,750...they liked me, and offered me a raise to $7,300 simply to keep it updated...what would I have charged if I would have just given them a price...$1,000 maybe...so yeah...asking them what their budget is can definitely be a good thing!

that is great! i woulnt have thougt of that. i will ask them that

thanks alot!!!

#5 rc69

rc69

PHP Master PD

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,827 posts
  • Interests:Web Development

Posted 17 January 2007 - 02:15 PM

Keep in mind, if you're new to the business $1,000 dollars is a rather unlikey. Less than $100 for a simple 4 page site would be reasonable. I'm betting the $6,000 dollar site was probably for a business that could afford it and needed to.

Of course, i could be really off on this assumption as i'm not in the business of designing other peoples sites.

Edited by rc69, 17 January 2007 - 02:17 PM.

#6 zoom4267

zoom4267

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 05:58 PM

Keep in mind, if you're new to the business $1,000 dollars is a rather unlikey. Less than $100 for a simple 4 page site would be reasonable. I'm betting the $6,000 dollar site was probably for a business that could afford it and needed to.

Of course, i could be really off on this assumption as i'm not in the business of designing other peoples sites.

the person got back to me with a budget of $1500.

#7 Archangel

Archangel

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 988 posts
  • Interests:Reading (mainly fantasy books), Gaming (Xbox 360, Wii & PS3), Sports, Outdoor Recreation, Watching/Collecting Movies

Posted 18 January 2007 - 08:30 AM

You're right...it was for a business. Actually, they had a guy who was already working for them and had quoted them that much, but they didn't like him and were looking for someone new...one of the best ways to get your foot in the door IMO.

I know it's not webdesign but I had lunch with a Freelance Illustrator who said he has never had to go looking for work in over 20 years (in fact, he turns it down) and he said that if someone doesn't give him a budget he won't work for them.

Do I do this...no, because I don't have customer base to be able to, but it's always something to think about...it can get you more money or tell you right off the bat that it's not enough. Worse case scenario...they don't have one and you have to give them a price.

$1500 budget...nice. My recommendation would be not to suck them for the full $1500, maybe somewhere between $1,000 to $1,250. That will tell them you're not a blood sucker out for all their money and if you do a good job for them I'm sure they'll come straight back to you again for more work.

#8 zoom4267

zoom4267

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 09:15 AM

You're right...it was for a business. Actually, they had a guy who was already working for them and had quoted them that much, but they didn't like him and were looking for someone new...one of the best ways to get your foot in the door IMO.

I know it's not webdesign but I had lunch with a Freelance Illustrator who said he has never had to go looking for work in over 20 years (in fact, he turns it down) and he said that if someone doesn't give him a budget he won't work for them.

Do I do this...no, because I don't have customer base to be able to, but it's always something to think about...it can get you more money or tell you right off the bat that it's not enough. Worse case scenario...they don't have one and you have to give them a price.

$1500 budget...nice. My recommendation would be not to suck them for the full $1500, maybe somewhere between $1,000 to $1,250. That will tell them you're not a blood sucker out for all their money and if you do a good job for them I'm sure they'll come straight back to you again for more work.

thanks for the great information. that is exactly what i was going to do, i have run other businesses in the past and know when someone tells me thier budget never max it out.

Thank

Lisa

#9 Bug

Bug

P2L Staff

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 09:33 AM

Oh, thank you so much for that, Archangel!! I appreciate your words very much. I will make sure I read this post over and over again when I'm in a situation like this :)

Thanks again! :)

#10 zoom4267

zoom4267

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 03:06 PM

Bug, i hope you are not being sarcastic in your post, If your not then my appologies but it appears that way and I would hope that the people on this board are above that.

#11 Bug

Bug

P2L Staff

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 08:07 PM

What? No! I wasn't being sarcastic! I'll go back and re-word it ;) I'm really sorry about that.

No, that post of yours really did help me - there was nothing sarcastic about it.

Edit: Hmmm... I'm not sure how to reword it... but please understand that I wasn't being sarcastic.

Edited by Bug, 18 January 2007 - 08:08 PM.

#12 Archangel

Archangel

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 09:32 PM

No worries bug ;)

#13 zoom4267

zoom4267

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 10:34 PM

No worries bug :biggrin:

LOL. all is water under the bridge. sorry for being that way. and im glad you werent that way LOL

;)

#14 Swally

Swally

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 12:48 PM

Nice, i like the idea of asking for a budget! the only thing i get stuck on is where to find work?
you guys don't seem to have any problems with it by the looks of it haha!

#15 Oddeh

Oddeh

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 03:52 PM

Yea, I can't get the work anywhere either!

#16 Archangel

Archangel

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 07:18 PM

Eh...I have tons of problem finding work. The only reason I have that nice size contract is because my wife works with someone who knew someone that knew someone who needed a designer. I really lucked out on this gig.

#17 zoom4267

zoom4267

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 08:27 AM

Another question guys......

she sent me a site that she likes, it has a video area, and its a blog layout with some flash at the top, people can write to him. Its anthony robbins web site. ill get it to you so you can take a look at it. now, she told me she wants to maintain it herself in frontpage, (cough) should i design it around the idea that she wants to maintain it or should i just make it and let her try? then come back to me. if you guys make a blog site for someone , what do you use?

thanks so much for your help.

Lisa

#18 fatalpoisonwhisper

fatalpoisonwhisper

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:To save me typing alot here:<br /><br />http://fatalpoisonwhisper.bebo.com<br /><br />OR<br /><br />http://www.myspace.com/fatalpoisonwhisper

Posted 03 February 2007 - 04:17 AM

she sent me a site that she likes, it has a video area, and its a blog layout with some flash at the top, people can write to him. Its anthony robbins web site. ill get it to you so you can take a look at it. now, she told me she wants to maintain it herself in frontpage, (cough) should i design it around the idea that she wants to maintain it or should i just make it and let her try? then come back to me. if you guys make a blog site for someone , what do you use?

Lisa

use php if you know it, letting her maintain it herself will be easy as pie.

#19 zoom4267

zoom4267

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 06:39 AM

Lisa

use php if you know it, letting her maintain it herself will be easy as pie.

unfortunatly i dont know php well enough to do a site in it. i have 2 php sites that i maintain myself but i cant write it . i started doint the site in joomla. its pretty easy.

thanks

#20 Brian Neubauer

Brian Neubauer

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 08:52 AM

Very nice information right there.

-Brian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users