• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 dotbart

dotbart

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 141 posts
  • Interests:Webdesign, Webdeveloppement, DJ, ...

Posted 12 February 2007 - 05:27 AM

If you don't know PHP or ASP, my recommendation would be to use a lot of Comment lines in your code so you client knows where to edit.
OR
Use javascript to include a text file into your page where all of her content would be placed.

This works if you want her to edit the content. Editing the page layout would be slightly more difficult to edit without letting a person who isn't too good at html ruin your website.

#22 Archangel

Archangel

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 988 posts
  • Interests:Reading (mainly fantasy books), Gaming (Xbox 360, Wii & PS3), Sports, Outdoor Recreation, Watching/Collecting Movies

Posted 15 February 2007 - 04:55 PM

If you don't know PHP or ASP, my recommendation would be to use a lot of Comment lines in your code so you client knows where to edit.
OR
Use javascript to include a text file into your page where all of her content would be placed.

This works if you want her to edit the content. Editing the page layout would be slightly more difficult to edit without letting a person who isn't too good at html ruin your website.

Another option could be for you to create the site and hire someone quickly work in PHP or ASP to allow them to update it using that.

#23 Demonslay

Demonslay

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 973 posts
  • Location:A strange world where water falls out of the sky... for no reason.
  • Interests:Graphic Design, Coding, Splinter Cell, Cats

Posted 17 February 2007 - 01:23 AM

OR

Another option could be for you to create the site and hire someone quickly work in PHP or ASP to allow them to update it using that.

Just what I was going to say.
I would be open for that if you needed. :rolleyes:

Also, great advice on the budget check. Never thought of it in that way other than to see how much they are willing to pay and seeing if it is worth it. I'll definitely consider that in my next transactions. :)

#24 Arutha

Arutha

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 06:10 PM

$1500 budget...nice. My recommendation would be not to suck them for the full $1500, maybe somewhere between $1,000 to $1,250. That will tell them you're not a blood sucker out for all their money and if you do a good job for them I'm sure they'll come straight back to you again for more work.

Very true, why make $1500 dollars as a one off when you could make $1000 the first time round and then gain enough trust to be asked to work on higher budget projects.

The largest i've ever quoted for a job is $2k and that was for an arcade script and that was for a script that could be installed multiple times without me. The job fell though but thats life huh ;). My recommendation on pricing a job is taking the following into account

1) How long is it actually gonna take you?
2) Do you really want to do it?
3) Do you need the money?
4) Are you at all interested in the script?
5) is it going to be a successful site?

if 5 is true then you may want to give a lower price and ask for a percentage off profits in exchange for "site maintance".

Arutha

#25 LkuHomer

LkuHomer

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 173 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 09:46 PM

Going back to finding the work:
My uncle went to the small business advisory at the local college. He got a business adviser, and after I made his site I gave my uncle my card. He passed it onto his business adviser, who in turn, passed it to his other business owners. In the last month, I have 4 potential clients.

#26 _*tyrc_*

_*tyrc_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2007 - 05:25 PM

Keep in mind, if you're new to the business $1,000 dollars is a rather unlikey. Less than $100 for a simple 4 page site would be reasonable. I'm betting the $6,000 dollar site was probably for a business that could afford it and needed to.

Of course, i could be really off on this assumption as i'm not in the business of designing other peoples sites.

less than $100 for a simple site? That is under selling yourself. I charge $400 minimum

#27 WMaverick

WMaverick

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 01:27 PM

Bear in mind that you aren't just charging for your time, you're also charging for your talent. The website that they get from you is going to be something that they couldn't have gotten from anyone else at that price point. For a "better" website, they'd encounter a price that is probably not within their budget. For a "budget" website, they'd inevitably end up being disappointed with the quality.

You have to discuss no only their budget, but also get to know their business process. How can interactive media be helpful in streamlining or simplifying that process? How can a website contribute to their marketing goals? Would an e-commerce solution help them to broaden their sales reach, or is their business of such a nature that online sales wouldn't make sense?

Once you know all of these things about your client, then you can develop and accurate picture of how important the website is in relation to their overall operating costs. Your goal then is to provide them with a product that fits their needs perfectly, with no extra frills, on time and within budget. That is the service that you're really providing. Your design and development skills are your proprietary talent, and you have to charge a price that's commensurate with their value.

One mistake that I constantly see new freelancers make is charging entirely too little for branding and identity design. If you're creating a full business identity package including web-ready and print-ready versions of a logo, a wordmark type treatment, company color scheme, business cards, letterhead, envelope templates and stationery prints, then there is no reason on Earth for that to cost less than $2,500. And if you're working for a company that also requires things like DVD wraps and inserts, CD jewel case inserts, etc., then add 10% to your price for each additional media.

#28 SiGnature™

SiGnature™

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 01:07 PM

Guys, I don't understand the budget bit... I mean have people actually given this value of $1500 or so to be spent to a site design and code? Man, people are rich these days :)

#29 SatanicPenguins

SatanicPenguins

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Interests:Photoshop, Web Design, Graphic Design, Internet.

Posted 27 January 2009 - 10:12 PM

2 seperate family members of mine have been quoted around $800 before for relatively simple sites.

So i don't think $1500 is that far fetched, does seem high though. less its a major site.

#30 rc69

rc69

PHP Master PD

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,827 posts
  • Interests:Web Development

Posted 28 January 2009 - 09:09 PM

Guys, I don't understand the budget bit... I mean have people actually given this value of $1500 or so to be spent to a site design and code? Man, people are rich these days :)

I've charged ~1k for a site before. And that isn't including the cut that the guy who did the design of the site got. What you've got to keep in mind is that, as an individual, you can't exactly crank out a site worth 1k in two days. It takes a dedicated amount of time to finish.

Between the amount of time each site takes, and the frequency of jobs, sometimes you have to make that 1k stretch for quite some time.

Edited by rc69, 28 January 2009 - 09:10 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users