13 replies to this topic

#1 shimano

shimano

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 201 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 06:12 PM

Don't know how to explain this, cos, I don't know how it's gone wrong, ok been using CS2 for a couple of months now and my fonts worked properly, just recently they are gigantic, if say I use arial at size 8 it look like it's at size 40 all the fonts are like that and I don't know why? I am not very technically minded so any help would be great.T.I.A.

#2 Dance

Dance

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 06:41 PM

AND CAPSLOCK WILL COME DESTROY THE WORLD! :whistle: (medium pun intended :rolleyes: )

What resolution are the documents you are working on?

#3 shimano

shimano

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 201 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 07:05 PM

AND CAPSLOCK WILL COME DESTROY THE WORLD! :whistle: (medium pun intended :rolleyes: )

What resolution are the documents you are working on?

mostly sigs at 300

#4 Dance

Dance

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 07:19 PM

always used 300?

Edit: grmble, that shouldnt matter though... Any special fonts doing this or is it all of them? This may be a problem outside of PS cheak the controll pannel and screen font settings and stuff. Sounds realy weard..

Edited by Dance, 01 February 2007 - 07:32 PM.

#5 Varelse

Varelse

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 09:58 PM

Resolution does matter if you are using points as font size units.
Check your font size after switching to 72 dpi, or change font units to pixels in Photoshop preferences.

#6 Dance

Dance

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 01:31 AM

Tested that myself, doesnt matter the slightest in PS, also in large resolutions if it where like that fonts would become smaller not huge.

#7 Scythar

Scythar

Honored X Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 08:34 AM

Still it doesnt hurt changing to 72 dpi for the whole project , since in photoshop the most important thing is the xres x yres (the pixelresolution). It wont change anything in your image quality so, what you do is, change the resolution to 72 ppi, BUT !!!!!!
MAKE SURE you UNTICK the "resample image" option !!

Attached File  Imagesize_screen.jpg   36.87KB   77 downloads

#8 Scythar

Scythar

Honored X Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 08:38 AM

I did try a few times allready to explain, why some things are not important, tried also to explain the relationship mathematicly, and also explaining why the fonts go very small (unreadable small) or they go gigantic.

Maybe, if some of the mods are reading this, i should try to explain everything again in a certain post and you could make a sticky out of it, since every month or so, this question comes back, in bout all versions of photoshop.

If you think this is usefull, any of the mods plz pm me.

#9 Scythar

Scythar

Honored X Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 08:48 AM

Still again, lets try this, for your case:

photoshop works in pixels, nothing else, only amount of pixels.

your setting is 300 ppi. So if you put in type and choose f.ex. 72 points.
Since your screen works in a resolution of 72 ppi, you have the habbit of seeing those at a height of 72 pixels, so that's your reference.
NOW, photoshop does a conversion, he says: aha, he puts in a type of 72 points, i know that 72 points = 1 inch, my settings are at 300 dpi, SO i have to show the type at a height of 300 pixels.
Which for you looks very gigantic, but if you would print it out on a printer at 300 ppi, it wout look like type of 1 inch tall.

Hope this helps a little,
sry if your more confused now, but i had to do this very quickly.

#10 Varelse

Varelse

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 07:44 PM

Tested that myself, doesnt matter the slightest in PS, also in large resolutions if it where like that fonts would become smaller not huge.

So probably you did something wrong.
Open an image in 72 dpi (use Shimano's signature if you want) and write some letters using any font, let's say 15 points large (it's important - points, NOT pixels).
Now change the resolution to 300 dpi, without resampling the image. Now check your font size. It's 3,6 point large now.
Clone this layer and change font size to 15 points. You'll get 4 times bigger lettering.

So as you can see, the resolution does matter if you are using point units for fonts.

Edited by Varelse, 03 February 2007 - 07:45 PM.

#11 Dance

Dance

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 10:30 PM

Dont use points when dealing with fonts in PS very unnecessary as its a image prossessor and not a text setter, thats what InDesign or QuarkExpress is for. In my oppinion anyway. Its true however that this certain missconvenience occurs when you are useing points instaid of pixels and you dont know what you are doing, im sorry i dident read your first reply thoroughly varelse I missed out the "if you are using points" part when foaming trough it and read the whole as "Does to dance you dumb twat!" but you are right ofc... :angrylooking:

Conclusive solution: Use px as the font unit when making text that are for the image. And points when makeing text intended for meattext/brödtext/serif text as they can be identified to match a viewing pleashurable size when printed even if you recalculate your image dpi for different printers. If you have no intention of printing anything then stick with px to make life easier.

If you have no intention of printing anything nothing of this matters, realy. But i think shryie said the abowe already.

PS: You want to have 300 dpi images when printing for a 150 dpi 4color halftone lineraster else stuff could get messed up and offset... But thats only if you are using a 4 color printing press which utelizes halftone plates and no a electromagnetic laser printer. And my head gets realy weard typeing stuff 4.30 am. Just so you know, cheers.

#12 Varelse

Varelse

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 12:13 AM

Dance, I'm not recommending using points for font size in Photoshop. I'm just showing that this might be the reason of shimano's problems :angrylooking:
Let's hope he can solve them now.

#13 Scythar

Scythar

Honored X Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 01:04 PM

besides, i am not going to say anything anymore, since mother told me not to argue with knutcases
whouhahaha...

^_^

#14 shimano

shimano

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 201 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 02:28 PM

thanks every-one it was the resolution forgot to change it back after working with my printer at 300

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users