Photo

Sorry about the new Ad Boxes... No choice.

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 09:05 PM

Hey all,

My apologies for the new separate boxes for the ads on the site and the increased visibility of the ads. Unfortunately Google has asked me to remove the ads from within the various content boxes becuase those boxes were labeled "Latest 20 tutorials", "User Dock" etc... I personally think it's ridiculous seeing as that means I can not blend ads in with content in the slightest and I now have to add more bulk to everything with separate content boxes for everything and pretty much kills the ads. We're sort of giving this all a band-aid fix because I have been told to change everything within 3 days and I am leaving for a couple of days as of tomorrow. NG and I are basically scrambling to patch this now and we'll see what we can do in the coming weeks.

So again, sorry guys, it's a necessary evil and Google decided it needed to be completely in your face more than it already was.

Dan

#2 Bug

Bug

P2L Staff

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 10:04 PM

Oh well... at least the forum ads are still fine - still using Yahoo on them hey?

#3 _*Creative Insanity_*

_*Creative Insanity_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2007 - 10:06 PM

Hell talk about picky.

#4 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 10:42 PM

Hell talk about picky.

Yep... I couldn't friggin believe what I was reading. I wrote them back a big WTF so we'll see.

#5 Pepper

Pepper

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 11:52 PM

i remember reading up on this......because it is in googles fine print that they don't want you to "confuse" your users, making them think they are links on your site. I think its stupid...but....Google can do what they want....we can't stop them..lol

#6 Arutha

Arutha

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 04:57 AM

i remember reading up on this......because it is in googles fine print that they don't want you to "confuse" your users, making them think they are links on your site. I think its stupid...but....Google can do what they want....we can't stop them..lol

but the p2l ad placements aren't confusing, its pretty easy too see where the ads begin and the tutorials end.

Arutha

#7 Bug

Bug

P2L Staff

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 06:12 AM

Haha - you get those ads on MySpace all the time :D

#8 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 08:38 AM

If im completely honest.. I don't care where you stick your ads.. So long as they dont make any sounds like.. "OH MY GOD! NO WAY!" Or "SAY SOMETHING!! WHAT?" So friggin irritating lol..

So, imo.. No sounds = No problem xD

haha yeah those and popups are the worst. It'll be a cold day in hell when I start using those...

That is just a bit to picky. It does sort of wreck the layout with the extra content boxes. Especially TOTW and TSOTW.

Yeah and I'm still trying to figure out what to do with the category ones... I could have made a separate box under the TOTW area, but it would have driven the latest 20 tuts so far down the page it would have been stupid.

Like I said, for now this is emergency measures until I have time to sit down and look at this a bit better and plan it with NG instead of running around with our heads cut off.

#9 dEcade

dEcade

P2L Staff

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,850 posts
  • Interests:Guitar, Programming, Storm Chasing, Games (Designing and playing), Hockey, Photography

Posted 23 February 2007 - 10:39 AM

That's pretty dumb... Now I think they look fine but I think it looks better when they blend into the layout.

#10 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 10:57 AM

That's pretty dumb... Now I think they look fine but I think it looks better when they blend into the layout.

Yep, it looked better and all this goofing around hasn't changed the CTR so really it's just been a silly tail chasing game. Ah well, that's all part of the terms... "Thou shalt bend when we wish".

#11 drcrazy4

drcrazy4

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 11:23 AM

Heh how long until Google rules the universe I wonder.... Their T&C's are so strict it's unbelievable. Every site on the web that uses AdSense must be breaking one of them.

#12 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 11:32 AM

Heh how long until Google rules the universe I wonder.... Their T&C's are so strict it's unbelievable. Every site on the web that uses AdSense must be breaking one of them.

Pretty much... and I love how they come after me when there are huge blatant term breakers out there with garbage sites.

#13 α∂αмяoss

α∂αмяoss

P2L Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts
  • Interests:football, Manchester Utd., coding, web developement, business, girls and warcraft.

Posted 23 February 2007 - 11:37 AM

Looks fine but google really get to far up their own ass in my opinion.

#14 drcrazy4

drcrazy4

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 11:39 AM

I am amazed Google have the time to deal with all this anyways. It just seems such a waste. Your not doing false clicks or anything.

#15 raidsilver

raidsilver

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 12:18 AM

Pretty much... and I love how they come after me when there are huge blatant term breakers out there with garbage sites.

I think my site is breaking the same rule then. I dunno. Oh well. I see many many sites to the same thing and have been for a long time.

Ever thought of using YPN instead? Maybe MIVA?

Just a suggestion. I'm going to use Google until their rules force me out of Googleia (their fake country I just created)

#16 drcrazy4

drcrazy4

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 06:11 AM

Googleia? Wow google can be dum sometimes.... I expect we will get used to the new layout as long as Google don't get it moved again.

#17 charlie

charlie

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:all this stuff on pixel2life

Posted 24 February 2007 - 04:57 PM

i was just "interested" in some of the ads on your website so i visited them :rolleyes:

#18 Av-

Av-

I Feel Left Out

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 05:57 AM

i was just "interested" in some of the ads on your website so i visited them :wink:

Nothing personal, but people like you got me kicked out :rolleyes:

I can't believe Google is coming up with such bullshit rules tho. I guess they just want you to put the ads in a popup or with a 10px border around so people just ignore them :rolleyes:

#19 drcrazy4

drcrazy4

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 09:19 AM

No they would ban you for that though. Apparently your not allowed to make the ads too noticable.

#20 drcrazy4

drcrazy4

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 04:39 PM

Why are half the ads I am seeing all about love and dating anyways?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users