Photo

Photoshop Cs2 - Why doesn't this 'fill'?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 DidaDragonfly

DidaDragonfly

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 12:11 AM

Greetings!
I am quite new to Photoshop, but I've done a fair amount of tutorials on other sites.

BUT, I just cannot wrap my brain around this one problem I am having...

Ok, here's the explanation:

When I am in Adobe Photoshop Cs2, and I have an image, or background layer already opened, if I make a new layer (which shows as a grey checkerboard), and after selecting the new layer by highlighting it, I draw an elipse with the eliptical marquee tool, and I choose Edit from the menu across the top of the workspace, (just below "Adobe Photoshop", which is at the very top left corner), after clicking on Edit I then choose Fill.......I have a foreground color selected already, why does NOTHING happen???

I don't understand why the 'circle' doesn't 'fill' with my selected color.

I think that if I can figure this out, MAYBE I will be able to understand what I am doing wrong.

Here is a screen capture to further explain what I mean:

Posted Image

PLEASE can someone help me?!

I thank you in advance for imparting your wisdom to me... :)

DidaDragonfly

#2 Scythar

Scythar

Honored X Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 02:16 AM

first select all, and give it the background color by pressing ctrl+backspace (or erm... was it alt+backspace), strange but true: you can only use the edit, fill option if there are any pixels to select, so if the checker is showing it means theres nothing there and thus you cant "select" (sounds strange i know, but hey strange is my name so...) anything.

Hope this makes a little sense??

#3 PSgirl

PSgirl

P2L Staff

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 07:20 AM

That's weird, I've just try to do that and it works fine for me... I don't know, but you can also use the Paint Bucket Tool (press G to pick it) and then fill your selection.

#4 Stu

Stu

Retired P2L Staff

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 09:05 AM

can we see your options in the fill dialogue box?

ive just tried this too and not had any problems... very strange.

#5 Dance

Dance

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 01:34 PM

As Stu said, could you submit a print screen of your fill wizard box, if you don't get a wizard when pressing fill you can conclude its a program error and you should reinstall. your problem is most likely due to the "preserver transparency" check box being checked in the fill options, if it is you cannot fill a empty space as is on a new layer, only already defined pixels will be affected in the range of their alpha values/transparency values.

#6 WALNUT

WALNUT

Jedi In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 03:49 PM

press alt+backspace for forground ctrl+backspace for background colour....so much faster

#7 Stu

Stu

Retired P2L Staff

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 06:56 AM

As Stu said, could you submit a print screen of your fill wizard box, if you don't get a wizard when pressing fill you can conclude its a program error and you should reinstall. your problem is most likely due to the "preserver transparency" check box being checked in the fill options, if it is you cannot fill a empty space as is on a new layer, only already defined pixels will be affected in the range of their alpha values/transparency values.

just to quickly add to this, make sure that your 'blending mode' is also set to normal on the dialogue when you hit ok.

Edited by Stu, 27 June 2007 - 06:57 AM.

#8 DidaDragonfly

DidaDragonfly

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 04:37 PM

can we see your options in the fill dialogue box?

ive just tried this too and not had any problems... very strange.

Ok, I've read all the posts so far and, I'm not sure what you mean with regards to this.
The fill dialogue box, where would I find that?

(I have my fill options set to normal, Opacity 100%)

#9 DidaDragonfly

DidaDragonfly

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 04:41 PM

AH HA!! I think I found the problem....I DO have preserve transparency checked...IS THAT the PROBLEM???

pleasesayyes, pleasesayyes... :yoda:

#10 Stu

Stu

Retired P2L Staff

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 12:26 AM

it could be. have you tried unticking it?

what i mean by the fill dialogue, is when you go to 'edit->fill' you get a little popup box and in the popup box you have the options like in my attachment.

Attached File  fill.jpg   52.07KB   52 downloads

#11 Adam Sheridan

Adam Sheridan

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 119 posts
  • Interests:Web Design, Web Development, Graphic Design and Corporate Identity.

Posted 28 June 2007 - 09:59 AM

That will be the problem yes :D

- Adam

#12 DidaDragonfly

DidaDragonfly

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 06:52 PM

You guys RULE!! :biggrin:

Thank you SO much! Something so simple tsk tsk...what DOES the preserve transparency box do? When would you want to use it?

You have no idea how much this has helped me!! Thank you for coming to the rescue of another lowly noob!!!

:flowers:

#13 Stu

Stu

Retired P2L Staff

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 04:16 AM

You guys RULE!! :biggrin:

Thank you SO much! Something so simple tsk tsk...what DOES the preserve transparency box do? When would you want to use it?

You have no idea how much this has helped me!! Thank you for coming to the rescue of another lowly noob!!!

:flowers:

it preserves transparency :P

#14 Scythar

Scythar

Honored X Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 04:37 AM

:biggrin:
k,
when you have an image and there are some parts that are transparant (no matter what percentage), you could use a brush and brush over it in another color, without being afraid to color "outside the lines".
Well erm... basicly, cos it is actually used many times for other things.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users