Photo

P2L is proud to announce the release of the 4th version upgrade of the site!

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#41 Hoot

Hoot

* Hooty Tooty Fruit *

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts
  • Interests:Making Websites, Working in 3D, Playing the Drums

Posted 12 July 2007 - 03:14 PM

ugly...

just kidden looks great guys!

Hoot

#42 drcrazy4

drcrazy4

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 03:14 PM

One thing I have spotted is that on tutorials written using the publishing system the code box backgrounds aren't wide enough.

It's a lovely new look though.

#43 Matheus

Matheus

P2L Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 03:36 PM

It's nice. But isn't time for a redesign at the header? the navigation there is really boring
and I really think that the website could be more "enchanced". becouse It's all made of rounded corners

also, it could be more organized. I mean, Look at Deviantart. It's very simple and the content-boxes are well separeted.

Edited by Matheus, 12 July 2007 - 03:40 PM.

#44 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 04:05 PM

I hate to be the troll in this one but I much prefer the previous layout, search drop down was easier and the liquid layout was in general a better design. I also get annoyed at the way the advertisements blend into the search results.

Some nice design tactics on the new profile bar (Write, Manage, Pending..etc..) and I REALLY like the category hover menu (similar principle to DeviantART's but works nicer and is much -much- faster).

- Adam

Hi Adam,

Can you clarify what you mean? The old layout was not liquid and the ads have not changed at all, we simply removed a bunch of them and left the best performing ones in. Maybe I'm not understanding what you mean.

Dan

#45 Tirus

Tirus

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • Interests:Web Design, Programming, Music, Martial Arts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 04:22 PM

nice job guys, keep up the great work!

#46 joshbond

joshbond

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 05:37 PM

Great job on re-designing the site!

I have to say, I liked the home page a lot better before but the rest of it and all the other non-aesthetic improvements are awesome!

#47 Adam Sheridan

Adam Sheridan

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 119 posts
  • Interests:Web Design, Web Development, Graphic Design and Corporate Identity.

Posted 12 July 2007 - 09:06 PM

Hi Adam,

Can you clarify what you mean? The old layout was not liquid and the ads have not changed at all, we simply removed a bunch of them and left the best performing ones in. Maybe I'm not understanding what you mean.

Dan

Oh I thought it was liquid, my mistake, sorry. But I liked the way it was... "big" to put it simply. I like the fact that you could go onto the frontpage and see everything without too much navigation.

In saying that I agree with your original post on the fact that it could get confusing for new users to the website to actually get what they wanted without previous experiance, maybe all pixel2life needed was reorganising rather then redesigning?

The previous pixel2life design had a very "personal" feel to it, it felt like I could customise everything on the page. I am not quite sure WHY this was. It's hard to describe, maybe I need to read up some more on design theroy.

About the adverts, I know that the previous design displayed the adverts in a similar way, but it has always been a pet-hate of mine. It feels like you are "tricking" users into clicking the advert -don't get me wrong, I understand the fact that you need to get paid- but nobody likes feeling like they are being decieved. Maybe a simple light grey background behind the advert might do the trick?

Now you have cleaned out pixel2life of all the unnessesary content clutter, it seems that you have upset the balance of Content/Advert and it is a bit overwhelming.

Afterall, this could all be in my head, I've visited pixel2life since you opened in 2004 and this is the first time the layout has had a radical change.

I also think that something should be done with the big whitespace at the bottom of the right column.

Just a quick note, the majority of my comments only apply to the homepage.

I hope nobody takes offence to my comments, I'm just trying to offer some constructive critisism and something different then "Yeah, I like the design!".

Thanks for the reply, I didn't think anybody would even read my comments. :D
- Adam

Edited by Adam Sheridan, 12 July 2007 - 09:12 PM.

#48 Kykoic

Kykoic

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 09:13 PM

I'm sorry to be a Joy kill, but the site looks more cluttered ever. I am a long time Tutorial section user (Not Forum) and i just believe that it's too hard to see and i liked the old version better. I hope there's someway you can put a skin picker up, Or Version picker up. :friends:

Edit: I'm sorry there it's hard to Adjust with 4000 Ads on the right of your screen but i stick with my word and i just believe that you may lose alot of people (Including me) For this version.

Edited by Kykoic, 12 July 2007 - 09:15 PM.

#49 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 09:25 PM

I'm sorry to be a Joy kill, but the site looks more cluttered ever. I am a long time Tutorial section user (Not Forum) and i just believe that it's too hard to see and i liked the old version better. I hope there's someway you can put a skin picker up, Or Version picker up. :friends:

Edit: I'm sorry there it's hard to Adjust with 4000 Ads on the right of your screen but i stick with my word and i just believe that you may lose alot of people (Including me) For this version.

LOL there are less ads there now than before, but thanks for sharing your thoughts.

#50 luv2help.com

luv2help.com

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 09:32 PM

Nice Work Guys

:friends:

Bravo

#51 dEcade

dEcade

P2L Staff

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,850 posts
  • Interests:Guitar, Programming, Storm Chasing, Games (Designing and playing), Hockey, Photography

Posted 12 July 2007 - 10:04 PM

I don't know if you guys care but personally I think the ads should look a little different because Its gets really hard to tell which are ads and stuff when looking through tutorials.

#52 Hayden

Hayden

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 10:10 PM

I keep getting confused every time the layout changes. I have to look around and find where everything is again. :friends:

good job, though! looks great! :D

#53 Hoot

Hoot

* Hooty Tooty Fruit *

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts
  • Interests:Making Websites, Working in 3D, Playing the Drums

Posted 12 July 2007 - 10:28 PM

after viewing the site for a little bit it to me now feels like (here is my metaphor): you took an old house (the blue and green layout) then gutted the inside and made it look pretty (the whole new way content is displayed) but didn't fix the outside (the blue and green layout). basically I don't care for the kept blue and green part but like the rest.

Hoot

#54 albinoAZN

albinoAZN

Albinos Are Extinct!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 11:49 PM

I agree with the other people about the ads. They should be a little bit more distinguishable. A different background would be nice.

#55 awesty

awesty

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:Programming, Computers, Sport, Flash, Video Games

Posted 13 July 2007 - 12:56 AM

LOL there are less ads there now than before, but thanks for sharing your thoughts.

There may be less ads then before but with the new design there is no separation between the ads and the content. It makes it seem like there are ads all over the place, instead of just in a ad column by themselves (even though they are, but it just doesnt feel like it).

#56 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 06:23 AM

I'm sorry to be a Joy kill, but the site looks more cluttered ever. I am a long time Tutorial section user (Not Forum) and i just believe that it's too hard to see and i liked the old version better. I hope there's someway you can put a skin picker up, Or Version picker up. ;)

There may be less ads then before but with the new design there is no separation between the ads and the content. It makes it seem like there are ads all over the place, instead of just in a ad column by themselves (even though they are, but it just doesnt feel like it).

The ads were fully blended with the tutorials exactly as they are now. There are just less of them now. Look at the old screen shots (that I need to replace lol) in the ad system that show where the integrated ads go. http://www.pixel2lif..._integrated.gif

#57 Av-

Av-

I Feel Left Out

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 06:31 AM

Hey, the new upgrade is looking great in my opinion, and viewing from a new users perspective, the accessibility has definitely been improved. In the end, most of the visitor still come here only for it's tutorials and now they get them right in their face ;)
Only thing that bothers me is the category browser, imo, the color and the way it's laid out does not blend at all with the overall layout, but that's just my opinion. Don't kill me :P

Overall it's definitely an improvement.

#58 Adam Sheridan

Adam Sheridan

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 119 posts
  • Interests:Web Design, Web Development, Graphic Design and Corporate Identity.

Posted 13 July 2007 - 07:39 AM

The ads were fully blended with the tutorials exactly as they are now. There are just less of them now. Look at the old screen shots (that I need to replace lol) in the ad system that show where the integrated ads go. http://www.pixel2lif..._integrated.gif

Yes there are less adverts then the previous design but, like I tried to say, there is now less content.
Which makes it SEEM like there are more adverts. You have upset the balance between Advert/Content.

- Adam

#59 Netcades

Netcades

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 08:43 AM

Nice design but the text are so light. Black would be a better choice IMO.

Edited by Netcades, 13 July 2007 - 08:45 AM.

#60 MetalSkin

MetalSkin

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 196 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 08:52 AM

Hmm didn't even notice the adds until it was pointed out in here, but then I haven't searched for anything since the new version got loaded. I must admit that they seem to blend in more, but then the current ones all say "advertise here", I presume because the spots haven't been taken up yet.

If that's the case and when they're taken up they're going to look how the old ones looked (with the "Advertisement" below the text) then I don't really see a problem.

I'm a relatively new member here and I spotted the adds when I first started using this site. I think they only blend in now because they don't say "Advertisement" currently. I do agree that making them a different background would be easier for people to ignore, but then that's not the point of advertisement is it? Why would people pay for ads that are going to be easy for people to ignore? If people had their way there wouldn't be any ads on Free to Air, or on Cable either, but economic reality doesn't allow that.

So IMHO I reckon how they are now is fine. Also I think the balance is fine, I count four ads two 15 search results, seems balanced enough to me. Hope you don't mind me adding my 2c worth, not trying to offend anyone, just trying to provide the opinion of someone who is new to the site.

Edited by MetalSkin, 13 July 2007 - 08:53 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users