• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 03:17 PM

Posted Image

New iMac anyone?

http://www.apple.com/imac/
http://www.apple.com/imac/design.html
http://www.apple.com/imac/specs.html

Edited by Matthew., 07 August 2007 - 03:21 PM.

#2 Lastcrime

Lastcrime

Impatient Jedi that likes to eat cereal

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts
  • Interests:Soccer, Snowboarding, Hockey, B-ball, Skateboarding, Computers!

Posted 07 August 2007 - 03:20 PM

yupp looks amazing i love the specs im getting one!

ive decided to get the new imac instead of a macbook.

The thing that i really love about the new imac is that your able to take the back off with ease to replace parts (just one screw!)

Edited by Lastcrime, 07 August 2007 - 03:21 PM.

#3 _*Creative Insanity_*

_*Creative Insanity_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2007 - 03:30 PM

I have an iMac and the thing that annoys me the moste about it is that stupid DVD Rom keyboard eject.
A couple of time the Mac running parallells has crashed with a disk in the rom and the only out is to power down. Then when you try to boot again it tries to boot from the cd and then just sits there. Hate that. You have to turn it off and wait for about 30 minutes before you power on again before it will boot back to OSX.
If there was a way to get the cd out other than that keyboard eject the problem would not be there.

#4 Lastcrime

Lastcrime

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 04:24 PM

yah ive had similar problems with the stupid cd drive built in to my dads imac, a couple of times i thought the disc was stuck and wouldn't be able to come out and i was like o shit, but then eventually it came out. W/E still like it.

#5 _*Creative Insanity_*

_*Creative Insanity_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2007 - 04:49 PM

Well there seems there is a back up way of getting CDs out.
When you boot hold down the left (I am sure it was left) mouse button and the disk will eject before it boots.

#6 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 05:55 PM

Looks pretty neat apart from the keyboard.

#7 Matthew.

Matthew.

Official Spammer .Matt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 05:58 PM

I would imagine that that's a problem on all slot loading drives not just the iMacs, but it's funny to see an obvious flaw that Apple have missed - generally I think they have the design of their products down to a tee.

I wonder if other slot loading drives have a manual way of removing the disc...I have never owned one.

edit:

What don't you like about it?

Edited by Matthew., 07 August 2007 - 05:59 PM.

#8 Lastcrime

Lastcrime

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 06:00 PM

Well there seems there is a back up way of getting CDs out.
When you boot hold down the left (I am sure it was left) mouse button and the disk will eject before it boots.

O really ill have to give it a try.

I like the keyboard its nice and thin and has usb ports on the side perfect for a mouse.

#9 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 06:06 PM

I like the keyboard its nice and thin and has usb ports on the side perfect for a mouse.

Can imagine it'll do nice things to your wrists as well with no support.

#10 Lastcrime

Lastcrime

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 06:20 PM

true i can see it hurting a little, but i dont think it will do much to me as im only 16 and am very fit.

Edited by Lastcrime, 07 August 2007 - 06:22 PM.

#11 Matthew.

Matthew.

Official Spammer .Matt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 06:30 PM

true i can see it hurting a little, but i dont think it will do much to me as im only 16 and am very fit.

Don't be too sure of that, it has nothing to do with fitness. I actually agree with Donna in theory, but the way i type i could not make use of a palm support/rest, it's the way I use a mouse that has impacted my wrist recently. Beware the carpel tunnel syndrome lol

#12 Pax

Pax

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 07:00 PM

I still don't get the point of the iMacs...its like a laptop you can't take with you. Why not spend a bit more and get the full shebang? A MacPro is much, much nicer, IMO. I may be totally wrong, but from what I understand, you can't upgrade the iMacs a whole lot after you've purchased them like you could with a MacPro. On the bright side, at least they don't suffer the same problems that the G5 iMacs did with the overheating/blowing power supplies.

#13 Mezzo

Mezzo

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 07:31 PM

Funny I just wrote an article about this. I personally don't like the iMacs. I agree totally with Pax, and while Apple has gotten better with the making of them...I still don't think they're worth it

#14 Lastcrime

Lastcrime

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 08:01 PM

I still don't get the point of the iMacs...its like a laptop you can't take with you. Why not spend a bit more and get the full shebang? A MacPro is much, much nicer, IMO. I may be totally wrong, but from what I understand, you can't upgrade the iMacs a whole lot after you've purchased them like you could with a MacPro. On the bright side, at least they don't suffer the same problems that the G5 iMacs did with the overheating/blowing power supplies.

Yah its deffinately not as good as the Mac Pro but they also dont start at $2799 thats the big difference there.

#15 _*Creative Insanity_*

_*Creative Insanity_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2007 - 08:44 PM

Sorry Pax I TOTALLY disagree with you on the iMac.
I have used a PC for over 30 years and I must say they were good for awhile. My first mac was one for work which was a laptop with OS8 on it and it was nothing less than a dog. They told me windows crashed.. well that finder in OS8 and 9 was more of a crash dummy than any PC I had ever used.

My first look at the iMac was the one I called "A toilet bowl" and it acted like one also.
When they released the first white one (the one with the monitor on a stork) I started to like them.
Once they changed the platform to UNIX I was sold. Since I was a Linux user for many many years that just appealed to me so much. It was some years after that before I started thinking about a Mac.
It was only early this year when I needed a new system that I actually considered a Mac and looked at a lot of them. The G5 systems in NZ start at around 4 grand and that was just a puppy. For something decent I would have to go as high as 5 to 6 grand and that is a heap of money.
I looked at the iMac after that and saw the features were pretty dam good for the price and even the 24" was a good price. GeForce graphics, Intel duo, gig of ram.. large hdd and all that for only 3 and a half grand. Can't go wrong.. and so I got one. I have never looked back.. sure I had teething problems (like you do getting use to any new OS) but now I would never look at a G5 anything again.
On this I do some pretty heavy work and it does it nicely. Sure my final cut renders may take a little longer.. but hey I can wait. Once I get myself a firewire drive that will speed up things rather alot.
So far all I have asked the iMac to do, it has done it with no problems.

So sorry Pax.. do not agree with your article or comments about the iMac.

#16 pirateXcore

pirateXcore

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 281 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 09:17 PM

Getting the £949 one (Same price as my MacBook)

• 1GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 1x1GB
  • 320GB Serial ATA Drive
  • SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
  • Apple Mighty Mouse
  • Keyboard (English) + Mac OS X (English)
  • 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
  • ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB memory
  • 20-inch glossy widescreen LCD
  • AirPort Extreme
  • Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR
Ordering it when Leopard comes out, CANT WAIT! :biggrin:

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAH Okay, seriously, that's TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS...wtf?
Here's a new PC that i've been thinking of getting...what's sad...is it's an HP and its BETTER than a imac.
The price they're showing on circuit city isn't right, it says $1500 there, but it's really $1150

HP Pavilion Media Center PC
featuring Intel Viiv™ Technology
Intel Core™2 Quad Processor Q6600
• 3GB DDR2 memory
• 640GB hard drive
• Burns and Plays DVDs and CDs
• Microsoft Windows Vista™ Home Premium
• TV tuner, personal video recorder, and media center remote
22" wide LCD

lol @ mac users
I've used a PC all my computing-life and have NEVER seen any reason to switch to a mac. In fact, everything I see tells me that i'd be an idiot to switch. The only thing i've ever seen saying that a mac is good, is apple fanboys. I'm sorry, but while that new imac is very awesome aesthetically, it's just a pile of crap in the end in comparison to the pc you could get for the same price. Hell, for $200 more you could make your PC look like that....you could even put the apple logo on it if you wanted.

Edited by tgs, 07 August 2007 - 09:20 PM.

#17 Lastcrime

Lastcrime

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 10:15 PM

• 320GB Serial ATA Drive
  • Apple Mighty Mouse
  • AirPort Extreme
  • Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR

Here's a new PC that i've been thinking of getting...what's sad...is it's an HP and its BETTER than a imac.
The price they're showing on circuit city isn't right, it says $1500 there, but it's really $1150

• 3GB DDR2 memory
• 640GB hard drive
22" wide LCD

lol @ mac users
I've used a PC all my computing-life and have NEVER seen any reason to switch to a mac. In fact, everything I see tells me that i'd be an idiot to switch. The only thing i've ever seen saying that a mac is good, is apple fanboys. I'm sorry, but while that new imac is very awesome aesthetically, it's just a pile of crap in the end in comparison to the pc you could get for the same price. Hell, for $200 more you could make your PC look like that....you could even put the apple logo on it if you wanted.

I agree 3gb ram and 640gb hard drive is nice but when you have a shit operating system like windows vista, accompanied by a computer that is bound to break, its worth getting a mac. HP is not going to give you all that loaded stuff if they dont expect you to buy some more parts. ie. your computer is slow because you need to get a bigger power supply. They just feed you in with perks like those to try and get you to spend your money on maintanence and other stuff.

anyway thats just my thoughts to that comment.

O yeah im using a pc right now (waiting to get my new mac) and its decent dont get me wrong but when i start running photoshop, illustrator, and dreamweaver all at once it slows it down a whole lot, and i have some pretty good memory in it.

#18 Mezzo

Mezzo

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 10:21 PM

• 320GB Serial ATA Drive
  • Apple Mighty Mouse
  • AirPort Extreme
  • Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR

• 3GB DDR2 memory
• 640GB hard drive
22" wide LCD

lol @ mac users

I agree 3gb ram and 640gb hard drive is nice but when you have a shit operating system like windows vista, accompanied by a computer that is bound to break, its worth getting a mac. HP is not going to give you all that loaded stuff if they dont expect you to buy some more parts. ie. your computer is slow because you need to get a bigger power supply. They just feed you in with perks like those to try and get you to spend your money on maintanence and other stuff.

anyway thats just my thoughts to that comment.

O yeah im using a pc right now (waiting to get my new mac) and its decent dont get me wrong but when i start running photoshop, illustrator, and dreamweaver all at once it slows it down a whole lot, and i have some pretty good memory in it.

Scrap Vista, put on a Linux distro and you got yourself a kickass machine for half the price. I've been using a HP laptop for over 3 years and have only had a few problems (all I could fix in less than half an hour). I also have had 2 HP desktops with no problems

Edited by Mezzo, 07 August 2007 - 10:22 PM.

#19 _*Creative Insanity_*

_*Creative Insanity_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2007 - 10:44 PM

I thought this thread was about the new iMac? So why turn it into another one of those damn annoying Mac V PC debates I am so sick to the back teeth with.

If you don't like one platform or another, why not just keep it to yourself as many here really don't care.

Now you all have a nice day!

#20 Hayden

Hayden

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 11:21 PM

I have an iMac and the thing that annoys me the moste about it is that stupid DVD Rom keyboard eject.
A couple of time the Mac running parallells has crashed with a disk in the rom and the only out is to power down. Then when you try to boot again it tries to boot from the cd and then just sits there. Hate that. You have to turn it off and wait for about 30 minutes before you power on again before it will boot back to OSX.
If there was a way to get the cd out other than that keyboard eject the problem would not be there.

iMac (Slot Loading): How to Manually Eject a CD-ROM Disc
:biggrin:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users