Gibbons

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 182 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 04:10 PM

Gamer Geeks v3

Link: http://www.gamergeeks.co.uk

After many painful hours of making this website im pleased to say its finished!!

Here is a preview:
Posted Image

What do you think? :o

#2 Bug

Bug

P2L Staff

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 04:44 PM

Dude... I think someone gave you too much inspiration... *cough* http://www.digg.com/ *cough*

Seriously, I just compared the two sites (tab to tab) and the header colours are EXACTLY the same... not to mention where everything's been put in the header.

#3 Gibbons

Gibbons

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 182 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 04:47 PM

lol. you only learn from the best :o

+ I happen to love that colour scheme, its very complimentary.

Edited by Floomo, 06 September 2007 - 04:48 PM.

#4 .CJ

.CJ

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 07:37 PM

True that it'd okay to be inspired by popular websites, but I think you should have used your own unique colour scheme. As I was looking at the site, it immediately reminded me of a website, I was gonna say Digg, even though I rarely visit there... but Bug confirmed that.

It's a good looking site, I just think you should change the colour scheme and maybe the way the header is set out. Other than that, good stuff!

#5 Gibbons

Gibbons

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 182 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 08:00 PM

Thinking about changing to pastel purples actually, and removing rounded edges. Hopefully that will make it less like digg. lol.

#6 Lastcrime

Lastcrime

Impatient Jedi that likes to eat cereal

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts
  • Interests:Soccer, Snowboarding, Hockey, B-ball, Skateboarding, Computers!

Posted 06 September 2007 - 08:56 PM

Your rss feed button is out of place. the border shows up above the green and into the blue.

This was in camino..

But on a lighter note the site looks very nice for a game site its very easy to navigate!

Edited by Lastcrime, 07 September 2007 - 05:51 AM.

#7 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 09:13 PM

Colors are not copyrighted and anyone can make a site like digg as pligg has opensource software available to do so.

#8 Lastcrime

Lastcrime

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 09:24 PM

o yeah im not saying its illegal to do so, i made a site which was pretty much a copy of the old asp.net but i changed the color scheme a little. I was just voicing my opinion thats all.

#9 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 09:31 PM

o yeah im not saying its illegal to do so, i made a site which was pretty much a copy of the old asp.net but i changed the color scheme a little. I was just voicing my opinion thats all.

accusing someone in a public forum they have ripped off another site is a little more that voicing your opinion, that can be very damaging to any webmaster or site.

It looks nothing like digg apart from colors and as I stated above colors are NOT copyrighted.

#10 Gibbons

Gibbons

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 182 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 11:36 AM

Hey guys, thanks for all the comments, and thanks for the support Donna, i appreciate that.

As for the RSS icon being out of place! is that for safari?? I have tested it both in IE and FF and made separate stylesheets.

Also do you guys have any recommendation? I really want this site to develop.
Thanks

<3

#11 Hoot

Hoot

* Hooty Tooty Fruit *

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts
  • Interests:Making Websites, Working in 3D, Playing the Drums

Posted 07 September 2007 - 05:17 PM

needs to be more original... I disagree with you on a small level donna, The header looks VERY simmalar to digg... The menu is very much the same how you roll over and etc. The only real difference is how you display the content, but the main layout is VERY VERY close to digg.

Hoot

#12 Bouzy210

Bouzy210

Jedi In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 09:30 AM

Its not really that much like dig guys I don't see it. The navagation looks different and most of the colors are darker. Nice job. I really agree that it hurts someones site if you say it is copying or whatever. Even if he did (Witch i don't think he did) the site would have taken forever to code and desing and stuff. Good job.

#13 Gibbons

Gibbons

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 182 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 07:40 PM

Ok well after much consideration and feedback from folk on this website and others, I decided to change the colours. Tooo many people said it looked toooo much like digg. Which I can appreciate, due to the colours etc.

What do you think of the changes? and what do you think I could do to make the website better for my users?

I know the website doesn't work in IE6, but once i get my old pc working with Windows XP on I will be able to make a compatible stylesheet. Vista sadly wont allow IE6.

Posted Image

Edited by Floomo, 08 September 2007 - 07:49 PM.

#14 Adam Sheridan

Adam Sheridan

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 119 posts
  • Interests:Web Design, Web Development, Graphic Design and Corporate Identity.

Posted 09 September 2007 - 09:07 AM

Ok well after much consideration and feedback from folk on this website and others, I decided to change the colours. Tooo many people said it looked toooo much like digg. Which I can appreciate, due to the colours etc.

What do you think of the changes? and what do you think I could do to make the website better for my users?

I know the website doesn't work in IE6, but once i get my old pc working with Windows XP on I will be able to make a compatible stylesheet. Vista sadly wont allow IE6.

Posted Image

Good choice in changing the colour scheme, you would have only gotten crap your way otherwise, as it did look a lot like digg.com.

Nicely designed website I must say, although I'm not sure blue and grey is the best choice of colours, try introducing some warmth. Maybe orange or yellows?

- Adam

#15 Gibbons

Gibbons

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 182 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 11:21 AM

Thanks for the advice. Im going to develop the index page I think. Maybe introducing a featured game of the week kind of thing. Hopefully that should introduce some warmth with the use of those colours.

As well as advice on my design, I would appreciate some marketing advice. What sites would you recommend advertising this type of site on? I would imagine that GamerGeeks would be most suited with kid??

Also here is a demo account for you guys who are interested in finding an problems for me:

username: demo
password: demo

:P

Edited by Floomo, 09 September 2007 - 01:27 PM.

#16 Bouzy210

Bouzy210

Jedi In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 01:32 PM

Wow I like both but I have to say the gray looks bad to me. Try going with dark blue(Like you have) and a light blue (not quite baby but you know what i mean)

#17 Gibbons

Gibbons

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 182 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 12:15 PM

A few updates:
  • Removed Pink/Red Guest Welcome Message.
  • Added Arcade Pixel Banner, hopefully making the site more interesting.
  • Changed Colour Scheme to make it more complimentary, and uniform.
I will also have the website XHTML valid, and will have a working IE6 stylesheet, in the next week.

Please advise further.

#18 Gibbons

Gibbons

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 182 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 04:48 PM

Stylesheet for IE6 is in the making and...

I have just installed invision power board, and skinned it to match the main website of gamergeeks. Hopefully this will facilitate my users questions and provide a medium for game requests etc.

Posted Image

Anymore comments?

#19 eric81

eric81

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 258 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 05:10 PM

Still looks very similar to digg. You didn't base any of the markup off of digg did you?

#20 Lastcrime

Lastcrime

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 05:19 PM

The colour change was a great idea the website looks good!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users