57 replies to this topic

#1 Chaos King

Chaos King

Senior Programmer

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 09:08 AM

Well being a community site as well as a tutorial resource, its sometimes hard to please everyone. Thats obvious from the different site upgrades that have happened within the past year or two. One of the most important things is that you guys get the most out of it and all the tools available to you give you the most benefit.

Anything that you would like to see happen? Long term or even short term, just post them here, or feel free to contact us.

What about features and tools? Anything new that you would like added, changed, removed?

Anything you find hard to use? Hard to find? etc. Is it user friendly? Easy to access?

I am just getting some feedback on various things from the members of the forum. :lol:

[Suggested Ideas] Updated 12.14.07 6:47 EST

Tutorial Category Menu on left (v3)

Filter Listings are hard to read

Become more like Social Site

Open Source Community Projects

Remove Tutorial Free-For-All with P2L Publishing

Become more like Social Site

Tutorial Writier specfically for Tutorial Requests

Gallery for Art / Portfolio System

Personal page / portfolio on Community User page (publishing user)

Have a list of all tutorials submitted and published by user

Revamped Featured Tutorials

Front page has less to offer than v3

Blue & Green = Stale

Finish Side-Projects (MSN Bot, etc)

P2L Store

Ability to browse published tutorials (make it more obvious)

Make list of all these ideas and put them in a list

#2 Veej

Veej

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 10:04 AM

I haven't had time to go on P2L much after the Hammertime (I think it was called that) upgrade and the one after. One thing I would suggest though, is that I preferred the tutorial menu on the left (rather than the current hover one) where you could easily browse all the different categories without having to mouseover - any chance of that coming back? :lol:

Thanks!

#3 Matthew.

Matthew.

Official Spammer .Matt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 11:26 AM

For me it's mainly things like this...

Filter Results by Category: All | 3D Studio Max | Adobe DreamWeaver | Adobe Fireworks | Adobe Flash | Adobe Illustrator | Adobe Image Ready | Adobe Photoshop | CSS Stylesheets | CorelDraw and Corel PhotoPaint | General Photography | Gimp | HTML Tips and Tricks | Inkscape | JavaScript | Microsoft PowerPoint | PHP Coding | Paint Shop Pro | Poser | SWiSH and SwishMax | Windows Vista

And all other menus like it have to go sorry, it's just extremely hard to use and looks horrible as well.

#4 David Knight

David Knight

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 137 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 12:49 PM

Filter Results by Category: All | 3D Studio Max | Adobe DreamWeaver | Adobe Fireworks | Adobe Flash | Adobe Illustrator | Adobe Image Ready | Adobe Photoshop | CSS Stylesheets | CorelDraw and Corel PhotoPaint | General Photography | Gimp | HTML Tips and Tricks | Inkscape | JavaScript | Microsoft PowerPoint | PHP Coding | Paint Shop Pro | Poser | SWiSH and SwishMax | Windows Vista

And all other menus like it have to go sorry, it's just extremely hard to use and looks horrible as well.

I disagree, it is really helpful to have that.

#5 Matthew.

Matthew.

Official Spammer .Matt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 02:03 PM

I disagree, it is really helpful to have that.

I'm not saying I'm unhappy with the actual feature, just the way it's laid out. Trying to quickly pin point a single category in that mess becomes a challenge...if it was columnar and still in alphabetic order it would be much faster and easier to use.

Just what I think anyway :)

Edited by Matthew., 09 December 2007 - 02:03 PM.

#6 Chaos King

Chaos King

Senior Programmer

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 06:56 PM

Very interesting input guys. Any more takes?

#7 David Knight

David Knight

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 137 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 07:28 PM

Give me a day or two to right my full report :)

#8 Dilfill

Dilfill

Jedi In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:PHOTOSHOP!

Posted 10 December 2007 - 01:14 AM

I cant really say that im a happy user, only because I haven't used you guys hehe. one think I dont think u need is the warning function. I must say everyones art is really good! I would like to see this forum be abit friendlier to the newcomers.One thing I have noticed is that everyones art on here is great but people take along time to respond, why is that?

#9 David Knight

David Knight

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 137 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 08:34 AM

Almost every forum across the internet has this same problem, activity. Since the rise of social communitys forum activity has decreased. On this forum I see a reply in two days or less, 95% of the time. Which is pretty damn good compared to other forums on the internet.

But this is an issue that I don't see leaving until the trend of social communitys dies out. Which, I hope, will be in the near future.

#10 NGPixel

NGPixel

Senior Programmer

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts
  • Interests:Web Design : Coding : Animation

Posted 10 December 2007 - 09:58 AM

It's time to destroy Facebook and MySpace!

#11 Dilfill

Dilfill

Jedi In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 10:05 AM

idk they can be helpful. like facebook is good for alot of collage kids, and myspace I think i can be useful sometimes. like alot of my friends that live far away from me I can talk to them there. so they are really helpful to those peeps who really us it. also companies us myspace alot now and I can tell that helps alot, same for bands.

#12 David Knight

David Knight

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 137 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 11:13 AM

If you find a way let me know, I will give full support.

idk they can be helpful. like facebook is good for alot of collage kids, and myspace I think i can be useful sometimes. like alot of my friends that live far away from me I can talk to them there. so they are really helpful to those peeps who really us it. also companies us myspace alot now and I can tell that helps alot, same for bands.

It seems everyone has forgotten about email and instant messengers... That is always the argument I hear about social community's, "I can keep in touch with friends". That is just another way of saying I am too lazy to talk to them on the phone, or worst of all email them. ;) What is this email you talk of?

I was looking at jobs ads the other day and I saw a job listing for a 'Facebook Devleoper', what is this world coming to.

Edited by Lucias O`Neil, 10 December 2007 - 11:31 AM.

#13 Dilfill

Dilfill

Jedi In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 11:40 AM

It seems everyone has forgotten about email and instant messengers... That is always the argument I hear about social community's, "I can keep in touch with friends". That is just another way of saying I am too lazy to talk to them on the phone, or worst of all email them. ;) What is this email you talk of?

I was looking at jobs ads the other day and I saw a job listing for a 'Facebook Devleoper', what is this world coming to.

well alot of my cousins and some friends live in the UK so I cant call them and email is ok but myspace and things like tat got pics about me's and just a better way to know people. I will say that I HATE myspace, but it has helped me gain a stonger relationship with my friends.

#14 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 12:35 PM

I cant really say that im a happy user, only because I haven't used you guys hehe. one think I dont think u need is the warning function. I must say everyones art is really good! I would like to see this forum be abit friendlier to the newcomers.One thing I have noticed is that everyones art on here is great but people take along time to respond, why is that?

Every member posting is welcomed by Staff, majority of forums don't even have Staff welcome members or have a forum where they can post.

Every member gets the main guidelines more or less placed in their lap after they post a welcome topic, the guidelines wern't being read and we could tell. The sig guidelines are very simple but we always get a few that choose to ignore and think they can do whatever they want as if they own this site and then give Staff a hard time after we correct them.

We have a contact page where you can send your complaints direct to Faken, and trust me he looks into every complaint received or member banned, but complaining because your sig was removed after ignoring our guidelines will most likely also be ignored.

Almost every forum across the internet has this same problem, activity. Since the rise of social communitys forum activity has decreased. On this forum I see a reply in two days or less, 95% of the time. Which is pretty damn good compared to other forums on the internet.

But this is an issue that I don't see leaving until the trend of social communitys dies out. Which, I hope, will be in the near future.

The trend of social networking sites is killing forums and I can't see them dying for a very long time if at all the membership is too strong, if your talented go make applications for facebook because you can make good $$$ doing so I've seen them selling at Sitepoint and people are buying them.

Referring to your part quote:

#15 dEcade

dEcade

P2L Staff

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,850 posts
  • Interests:Guitar, Programming, Storm Chasing, Games (Designing and playing), Hockey, Photography

Posted 10 December 2007 - 05:15 PM

The trend of social networking sites is killing forums and I can't see them dying for a very long time if at all the membership is too strong, if your talented go make applications for facebook because you can make good $$$ doing so I've seen them selling at Sitepoint and people are buying them.

There killing forums, so forums must kill them! :)

Alright... A little off topic, anyways, move along.

Edited by dEcade, 10 December 2007 - 05:16 PM.

#16 Hoot

Hoot

* Hooty Tooty Fruit *

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts
  • Interests:Making Websites, Working in 3D, Playing the Drums

Posted 10 December 2007 - 05:25 PM

I'VE GOT IT pixel2life should become a scocial networking site :) that will fix the decrease of activite.

Maybe if the community had projects that they could work on and develope, somewhat of an open source community project. I also think this site needs somewhat of a graphical make over. We have been seeing the "same" overall design since V2, Yes I know there have been changes to the site in how things are displayed but it is still the same old green and blue.

addition:
Also what is the whole point of the Tutorial Free-For-All, is it really needed since P2L has a way to actually write a tutorial on the site, I don't really think that is needed anymore except for the tutorial request one.

Hoot

Edited by Hoot, 10 December 2007 - 05:28 PM.

#17 Dilfill

Dilfill

Jedi In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 05:30 PM

I agree with you Hoot all the way! Well said! :)

#18 SebLev

SebLev

Forum Whore is what I am today!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 10:07 PM

Have fun haha but I would join if you do find a way also... never use those sites and I hate them haha

I'VE GOT IT pixel2life should become a scocial networking site :P that will fix the decrease of activite.

Maybe if the community had projects that they could work on and develope, somewhat of an open source community project. I also think this site needs somewhat of a graphical make over. We have been seeing the "same" overall design since V2, Yes I know there have been changes to the site in how things are displayed but it is still the same old green and blue.

addition:
Also what is the whole point of the Tutorial Free-For-All, is it really needed since P2L has a way to actually write a tutorial on the site, I don't really think that is needed anymore except for the tutorial request one.

Hoot

First of all they technicly did change the colors on this site with the hammer time update.... but every body started bitching early (sorry for language) instead of trying it out for a bit first... I personaly liked it....

and for your addition comment Hoot... you are right about that being pointless but why not remove that and maybe have a better system so that people could ask for certain tutorials...

My ideas:

Idea 1:

How about we have a system kind of like the tutorial writer you guys made but instead it will be for like tutorial requests... and when people request it they say like what catagory it would go in like Photoshop, 3D, Maya, CSS and so on and add tags so people can search for keywords... and maybe have a brief description of what they really want... and then the people that have no idea of what to make for tutorials they could just check this list that would be created and organized threw this system and they can easly spot what tutorials people want for certain programs... It's just a better way of organizing the forum thread for the tutorial request I find... maybe also have a little reply part to the requests so that people can ask more question on their request....

(If you want me to say this more clearly just PM me haha because I start too ramble on and repeat myself after a while when I try and explain things)

Idea 2:

Have like a proper gallery system for final art submissions of all our members (kinda like on 3Dtotal.com) and maybe even have a type of portfolio style system like CGsociety.org where members can post their art... kind of like a modified version of what we have now when we click on a users name in the forums... instead have less things about what they posted and more stuff on like porfolio style of features

those are my 2 cents... would be glade to explain more or clearafy more on my ideas if it is needed!

Edited by lilman, 10 December 2007 - 10:11 PM.

#19 beaverpoutine

beaverpoutine

P2L Paramedic

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 11:33 PM

while expanding the gallery subject I would like to add the following idea:

how about a personal portal/portfolio added to the personal page of each user in the publishing system. It would bring together as much credibility as a Social Website while still staying in the computer/web related topics.. dunno if you get my point here but hey! That's the kind of things that popup in my head at 23h33 a monday night!

#20 Chaos King

Chaos King

Senior Programmer

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 05:25 AM

Maybe if the community had projects that they could work on and develope, somewhat of an open source community project.

Hoot,

What type of projects do you think would suite an open source development of? Can you expand on that topic more please.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users