paulbarris

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 04:14 PM

Hi

does anyone know of an easy way to resize the canvas to the size of
an image bigger of it laying on top of the canvas?

thanks!

Paul

#2 NewStyleGFX

NewStyleGFX

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 11:49 PM

Well Paul theres two ways around this.

First you can create a new canvas with dimensions the size of the image, or even what I like to do 1000x1000 and drag the big layer over to the new canvas thus makeing a new layer in the new canvas and from there you can resize it to match your current canvas and just drag the newly resized image to your canvas

OR

To make the overall current canvas bigger, hit ALT+CNTRL+C, or go to Image > Canvas Size and there you can redo the dimensions (it usually starts out giveing you CM or Inches, just change the drop down boxes to Pixels). However if you make it SMALLER it will Warn you that any pixels greater than the canvas will be cut and removed. So becareful and ALWAYS save PSD backups.

Hope this helps!

Cya around!
~NewStyleGFX

#3 paulbarris

paulbarris

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 12:32 AM

Well Paul theres two ways around this.

First you can create a new canvas with dimensions the size of the image, or even what I like to do 1000x1000 and drag the big layer over to the new canvas thus makeing a new layer in the new canvas and from there you can resize it to match your current canvas and just drag the newly resized image to your canvas

OR

To make the overall current canvas bigger, hit ALT+CNTRL+C, or go to Image > Canvas Size and there you can redo the dimensions (it usually starts out giveing you CM or Inches, just change the drop down boxes to Pixels). However if you make it SMALLER it will Warn you that any pixels greater than the canvas will be cut and removed. So becareful and ALWAYS save PSD backups.

Hope this helps!

Cya around!
~NewStyleGFX

Hi

Thanks for the Answer! always happy to learn new shortcuts.
what I meant was lets say my canvas size is 200x200 px and I drag an image 500x500 px onto the canvas, is there a button like 'fit canvas size to image size' without tweeking the pixel dimensions myself?

Thanks!

Paul

#4 NewStyleGFX

NewStyleGFX

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 12:44 PM

UM Not that im aware of, That would acually do the same thing thought wouldnt it? I mean you manually change canvas size to 500x500 and it should work... But as far as a button to fit canvas to image, I dont think there is.

#5 paulbarris

paulbarris

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 02:56 PM

Thanks again! :biggrin:

#6 nickhare

nickhare

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 08:25 AM

Hi Paul,

Answer: Image/trim

Regards,

Nick

#7 _*aprillove20_*

_*aprillove20_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2010 - 06:20 AM

I agree that make the overall current canvas bigger, hit ALT+CNTRL+C, or go to Image > Canvas Size and there you can redo the dimensions.

#8 _*EricGrossDesign_*

_*EricGrossDesign_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2016 - 03:38 PM

There is a trick. I saw it a few days back on a facebook template video, but for the life of me I can't find it and don't really want to dig thru a ten-minute video to find the 2 second mention of it. However this was my three-step solution.

1. Ctrl + click on your Layer containing your larger than canvas sized image.
    This will get you those "marching ants" selection.
  2. Select the Crop Tool, 
  3. Hit Return twice.

Eric Gross

Now go create something beautiful.

quick-canvas.png

• biju likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users