Photo

TF2 Spray Website : What can be improved?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 PixelHiveDesign

PixelHiveDesign

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 10:33 PM

Looking for some feedback on a website I developed. It's been a while since I've done anything on it. I have some spare time and think it deserves some attention. What can I do to improve the site? Open to all tweaks, new features, design, and expansion ideas.

www.gamesprays.com

#2 SatanicPenguins

SatanicPenguins

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Interests:Photoshop, Web Design, Graphic Design, Internet.

Posted 28 January 2009 - 03:44 PM

The title bars on the left sidebars dont fit the text when they're long.

Besides that, I'm not a fan of the colorscheme. but that's more a personal gripe. All looks good to me.

#3 Artemis°

Artemis°

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 03:33 AM

I don't really like design , to me it doesn't really seem like a good color scheme for it but it could just be me. Last, there a problem with the top right content box , title seem too long.

-Astro

#4 PixelHiveDesign

PixelHiveDesign

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 02:34 PM

What resolution are you using? I really should design it to look good at 1024. For now I shorted some of the pane titles as much as possible. Probably will have to reduce font size.

Far as the color scheme, I'll consider changing the design. Maybe I'll make it look more "fort" like with wooden textures. Do either of you play Team Fortress 2?

Yesterday I released a Left 4 Dead expansion of the site: www.gamesprays.com/left-4-dead/ with a new design.

#5 SatanicPenguins

SatanicPenguins

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Interests:Photoshop, Web Design, Graphic Design, Internet.

Posted 30 January 2009 - 11:24 PM

I use to play TF2 heavy, until the november update made it unplayable on my computer.

So i can see where you're coming from designing it to look TF2ish, But maybe you shoudl of chosen a better map. like the... trying to remember the name. The CTF one with the Futuristic industrial looking White intel rooms where demos and soldiers blast up to the top rails.

Im running 1152x768? somethin like that.

#6 Artemis°

Artemis°

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 12:38 AM

What resolution are you using? I really should design it to look good at 1024. For now I shorted some of the pane titles as much as possible. Probably will have to reduce font size.

Far as the color scheme, I'll consider changing the design. Maybe I'll make it look more "fort" like with wooden textures. Do either of you play Team Fortress 2?

Yesterday I released a Left 4 Dead expansion of the site: www.gamesprays.com/left-4-dead/ with a new design.

I using 1280 x 1024. The font is too big but if you change it to be smaller it not going to match the other titles. I haven't played Team Fortress 2 but I not really into gaming right now trying to focus on other things right now , is it any fun?

If you want my completely honest advice, I would rethink the layout and design it just doesn't seem to work the way it now but it could just be me. :)

-Astro

Edited by Astro, 31 January 2009 - 12:38 AM.

#7 Rory

Rory

Jedi In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 378 posts
  • Interests:Php, Html, Css, Javascript, ASP.NET, Photoshop, soccer, rigby, cricket, viticulture, Ruby#, C#, AJAX.

Posted 01 February 2009 - 06:26 PM

My main complaint with the design is it seems much too complicated, try using fonts and colour to make people look where you want them to look because at the moment everything is trying to grab attention. The text not fitting is a quick fix and not too big a deal. Try making the text smaller on the links in the categories down the lefts side for example as they are bigger than they need be and take attention away from other parts of the design.

#8 PixelHiveDesign

PixelHiveDesign

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 04:54 PM

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I've revamped the design.

* Remove main category icons
* Cleaned up pane headers, simple black with white text now. (made text smaller as well)
* Cleaned up and 'framed' the display of each spray.
* Removed the background image behind the panes and replaced with solid color.
* Shortened some pane titles & category labels.
* Removed an offending image that caused this thread to disappear for a few days. Thanks p2l for keeping me on my toes and re-enabling this thread.

It should look good at 1024 resolution now.

I also released an expansion to the site a couple days ago for Left 4 Dead Sprays. It uses old design style but I will apply these changes eventually. I think I'll wait until the TF2 version is considered good, then apply similar changes to the Left 4 Dead Version.

#9 PixelHiveDesign

PixelHiveDesign

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 04:50 PM

Well I decided to change everything below the header of the Left 4 Dead version to the new design. It used to be all black and continued the dark style of the header. Meh, I think it will be better to maintain a consistent design between the two versions. The header should be enough customization between the two besides the fact all the categories and sprays are different.

I also completely revamped the comment system, making it much easier to use and removing the requirement that you be a member of the site. Figure contributors will appreciate visitors being able to provide feedback on their designs.

Any further feedback on the design of the site in general?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users