#1 Aleksey

Aleksey

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 06:33 PM

Hi,

Could you please help me about my portfolio? I really need to know the professional opinion about my portfolio, the way it is presented and the jobs themselves.
I am kind of new to the country and desperately need to know the impression of my works from North American designers.

You may find it on www.alekseyart.com

I really appreciate your opinion on this.

Thanks a lot.

Aleksey

#2 The-Pixel

The-Pixel

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 132 posts
  • Interests:Web Design and Development

Posted 18 March 2009 - 07:07 AM

Well... it's extremely boring to look at. You need more vibrate colors to offset your website from others - give it the WOW factor. Perhaps a logo that can be an image or typography based. You really need to work with your CSS (Cascade Style Sheet) to obtain more effect with your text. Currently, you just have the plain black and white font, times new roman, 12 pt. I strongly suggest putting in a:hovers and such in your CSS and really giving your website it's own personality. Your website needs to be a reflection upon you. Also, I don't like how you have your image slide show currently. It's not bad but I think it could be better. Something about it does not seem to mesh well or maybe its just me. I wish you all the best with your websites and future projects. I really believe the people that ask for help are the ones that make it because they are willing to learn then a person who "knows it all". Thanks for letting me express my opinion to you. Best of luck!

Edited by The-Pixel, 18 March 2009 - 07:08 AM.

#3 Aleksey

Aleksey

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 12:45 AM

Hi The-Pixel. I am so grateful for your opinion. I wanted to clarify something about the site.

I want to find a position of a graphic designer in some company. I would like not to be the only graphic designer there. The site was thought to be the vehicle to present my works. That's why I assumed that the site should be kind of plain not to distract attention of the visitor from seeing my works. The site should give understanding to an employer about my experience and my skills in print production.
I am interested a lot in your opinion, how am I wrong or right stressing attention on my works and simplifying my site?

What kind (content) of works is preferable for the potential employer?
Your advise about site appearance is perfect to attract a client.

Thanks a lot.
What do you think about it?

#4 Wybe

Wybe

Jedi In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 401 posts
  • Interests:I have no interests

Posted 19 March 2009 - 07:39 PM

Aleksey I understand what you mean. Yet I still agree with The-Pixel here. Your website is about the contents, yes, but how much of a product is about package? You should know being a graphic designer. If you want to focus your visitors on your work, you make the design do that. Tone down the contrast a little, if I may suggest.

You can easily use most of the standard windows fonts that you probably have always had on your computer, like courier new, tahoma, arial or even "small fonts" to make the whole a bit more... informal, I guess. I felt as if I was looking at a not-so-pretty legal document.

Another thought. Since this website is your portfolio, which basically is your digital business card, why not design it as if it were a business card. Sure its a little more space to fill up but you catch my drift right?

Good luck with it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users