#1 jesperj

jesperj

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 10:45 AM

Hey Everyone

Im new here at p2l, and i really like this place, excellent webdesign of it aswell hehe.

Anyway i recently got my website re-designed, so i would like to hear what people think about it.
Its a tutorial site with streaming videos for 3d studio max.

Ive then got a public gallery added for members to upload their creations.
When you register to the main site, you can automaticly log in with the same details to the forum aswell.

Let me know what ya think.

Link: Visit My Website

PS: The streaming player is currently getting upgraded to one with a progress bar so you can skip back and forward in the tutorials without having to watch them all over.

Thanks
Jesper

(Question: I know this aint the place, but how to i take ownership of a source site here? doesnt seem the function works for me in the menu)

Edited by jesperj, 12 October 2009 - 10:46 AM.

#2 helpvids

helpvids

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:Computers, gadgets, webdesign, webdevelopment, online training

Posted 15 October 2009 - 01:43 PM

Good work Jesper, I had a look at the videos on the ork and the sound and quality is good which is important.

As a 3d graphic site I would like the above the fold area to speak click me. I would show of the tutorials either with a nice thumbnail and description, or with a flash slider box, showing of the best projects. instead of boring text at the top and video screen at the bottom.

Your homepage needs to atract people to keep on clicking!

Get rid of the empty catagories untill you get some content. If I click animation and see it empty, I tend to give up whilst the content you have is of good quality.

Look forward to seeing the site in a few months time

#3 jesperj

jesperj

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 05:29 AM

I will defitnally take your feedback into consideration. Soon when my wallet recovers i will start tweaking stuff making them a lot more interesting.

I will keep you updated once i get started.

helpvids do you think i should improve video quality? or is it good enough. Because im really trying to make the files as small as possible so no visitor have to wait for streaming. Currently a 10 Minute video is 37 MB.

#4 helpvids

helpvids

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 07:34 PM

We stream our video using a special technology compressing the vids a lot. When you still have a few vids and all for free, you can use vimeo and embed, that way you get some extra cover.

To get the files in small size you need some good compression. but the money starts adding up.:)

There are a few possibilities, either on2fx which in my opinion is overpriced and under performing, bitmoov which is awsome and my personal recommendation or get something custom made (this is what the big boys do, but needs some ace programmers, so very very expensive)

Edited by helpvids, 17 October 2009 - 02:43 AM.

#5 jesperj

jesperj

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 03:12 PM

bitmoov looks like a really nice encoder. ill defitnally keep that in mind when im thinking of upgrading.

Thanks for the advices :)

#6 helpvids

helpvids

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 04:49 PM

Yep bitmoov rocks, we are going through a redesign at helpvids and at webzo, could you have a look and tell me what you think, would appreciate the advice. I havent got a lot on 3dsmax, just some basics for beginners, that needs work.:)

#7 jesperj

jesperj

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 12:13 PM

Your site is a bit more advanced than mine hehe. I like all the features even the small ones, as most viewed in the video sections. Fast streaming aswell. You got a shitload of tuts heh, how long have you been running helpvids?

How many members do you actually have signing up? Is there a good "market" for sign ups to tutorial sites?

#8 helpvids

helpvids

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 01:51 PM

Thanks Jesperj, we are working on a big change this week. We have just changed our membership types a bit, we started in april, the main difficulty is to find people that are capable and willing to make the vids. We are allways looking for content, even though we have made loads inhouse. I will let you know when we finish the upgrade to the design.

#9 jesperj

jesperj

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 03:33 PM

What kinda hosting are you using?

Im currently on a Shared Enviroment @ Hostmonster.com, but i think im gonna need a better solution soon.

Im not sure how much the current host can take.

Im using about 60-80Gb of bandwidth a day and about 1500 unique visits. Would a VPS work? or do i need a dedicated server?

#10 helpvids

helpvids

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 03:01 AM

I was just on your site, upgrading to something faster huh.:biggrin:

#11 jesperj

jesperj

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 06:43 PM

Ye i rented a VPS. My current host cant handle the traffic hehe. However i dont got a clue on how to get a VPS up and running, so im waiting for my web designer to get me sorted :biggrin:

I rented the VZ2 offer at http://www.hostv.com/vps-hosting.shtml

Should be good enough i hope hehe.

Since i hired my SEO company my traffic and bandwidth have increased alot, from avg of 200-300 visitors a day to 1500-3000 unique visits. Ive also advertised a lot on other sites.

Didnt you get my pm btw?

#12 helpvids

helpvids

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 10:06 AM

Wow, that's a big increase! Are you getting a lot of google and yahoo organic visits?

Oops, hadn't checked my pm's, sorry.:biggrin:

Yeah the vps you have should be good enough for a while, but you will be close to its limits soon. Which SEO did you hire? Sounds like they are doing a good job for you.:biggrin:

#13 jesperj

jesperj

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 07:36 PM

Sent you a pm helpvids.

At the moment most of my traffic is generated trough the tutorial submission sites like pixel2life, tutorialized, tutcity and so on. Then i have about 20% from search engines, but thats what me and the seo company is gonna improve. We already placed my site in the top10 of some keywords, and working on tougher keywords.

#14 Elrohier

Elrohier

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 12:29 AM

Don't forget the usefulness and power of social media to advertise.

#15 jesperj

jesperj

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 08:53 AM

Don't forget the usefulness and power of social media to advertise.

Thats my Seo´s work :) They add me to 250 Social Sites per month. But thanks for the tip :biggrin:

#16 helpvids

helpvids

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 10:48 AM

We have done something similar with submitedge, 250 social bookmarks per month, etc. If you look at the backlinks that google recognises, not one! just check it out, not sure if this is really so usefull. My backlinks that google and yahoo recognise are from other quality websites.

I think that external seo, ie linkbuilding is usefull if the links are on a good PR page of the website (social bookmark submissions are often on a high PR site, but very low ranking page)

We have been up and down in google for helpvids, but get some reasonable traffic from webzo, No PR though frustratingly enough.

Elrohier, you seem to know your stuff, any tips?

#17 helpvids

helpvids

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 10:52 AM

Another thing I just remembered. Before you get too excited about your google position, make sure you clear your cookies! Google has a new system since a few months that gives you a listing according your search history that you have stored.

#18 jesperj

jesperj

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 11:46 AM

Ye, my website always come up nr1 when i search in google. :biggrin: thats why i use a IBP to check my search engine rankings and such. My seo company provide me links, pageranks, username/passwords if its on a site requiring log in like twitter etc. and they give me charts on all search engines where my website is placed, on all the keyword phrases their promoting. So each week i can see if my site was placed nr 210 the first week and 170 the next week etc.

As long as their doing their job im happy :) + im not really concinced that pagerank have much to do with anything, as google have said themself aswell for ages.

#19 helpvids

helpvids

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 04:00 PM

ibusinesspromoter? I was using webceo which I liked a lot, but will check out your seo-tool tonight.

Edited by helpvids, 25 October 2009 - 04:12 PM.

#20 jesperj

jesperj

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 05:14 PM

Only used the trial of it thou. Dont think its worth the $ you have to pay for the full version heh.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users