• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 10:10 AM

Hey all! For shits and giggles, thought I would get a thread going showing the work and renovating I am doing at the house I bought earlier this year. As many of you know, I got separated/divorced at the end of 09 and moved in to a new house in Feb 2010 that was a fixer-upper in every way possible... I've been doing lots of renovations already so I'll start posting some stuff so you can see what I'm up to when not working on P2L or web related projects.

Coldroom

First up we'll start with the nasty, disgusting cold room project... a coldroom is typically a small room in the basement that is part of the concrete foundation and is equipped with an air intake and exhaust to circulate the air from the exterior and keep the room cold. The room is normally used to store canned goods, preserves (pickled stuff in jars) and is popular with the local Italian populace for making wine, cheese, meat for cold cuts, sausage etc.

Well this room was nothing more than a death trap, literally. The room had no ventilation, water penetration everywhere both from the ceiling and the floor and enough mold and spiders to kill a small village. Mold is absolutely DEADLY in a house, and this room was FULL of it. Not only that, but they had poorly constructed walls of particle pressboard, foam and wood slats and all of that has been getting soaked for YEARS. The wood was rotten, black, slimy and moldy... in fact there were sections of wood that literally turned to mud when I would grab it with my GLOVED hand. Flat out, the floor was a danger to anyone in the house and needed to be addressed immediately. So my brother and I put on our respirators and stripped the entire room right down to the concrete foundation.

Here you can see a section of wall where we've cut away the wood, foam and wall studs. Those black stains you see on the walls (especially in the corner and under the sides of the window opening) is water and mold/mildew. If you look at the window sill, you can see the lower part of the window frame is completely black and rotten. The blobs just in front of the window sill are piles of mold and chunks of insect nests.

Posted Image

All the pieces we tore from the walls were cut up and boxed, then carried outside to the garbage container I had rented. We actually filled a 10 yard commercial container to the top with the junk we hauled out.

Posted Image

My brother and I saluting the mold and spiders!

Posted Image

The room has now been totally stripped and we've replaced the entire window frame. Eventually I will replace the window itself, but for now we simply took apart the sliders, rebuilt the frame and put the windows back in. You can see some of the expanding foam (yellow stuff) at the top left of the photo and the can of foam itself is sitting on the table saw. You will also notice the very dark line going around the entire floor where it meets the walls. That's all wet muck that still hasn't dried out yet... the fans took over a week to dry it out enough that I could vacuum it with the shopvac.

Posted Image

My coldroom also houses the circuit breakers... note the dark stains on the ceiling from mold and water and the floor is dark with soaking wet nastiness. Once we pulled off all the wood and crap from the room, every inch of the concrete was wet. We knew water was coming in from a few areas, but it was impossible to tell with the amount of water that was everywhere.

Posted Image

Still drying stuff out...

Posted Image

At this point, months went by before any additional work was done to the interior of this room... we had to address numerous issues with water getting in. Just above the cold room was the patio door that leads to the backyard. Well, any time it would rain, water would POUR in to the cold room like a shower and it was clear it was coming from the patio door base. So the entire patio door was torn out, we sealed and rebuilt the frame area and we installed french doors. (I'll post photos of that later). We also covered the entire exterior of the cold room in vinyl siding to protect the concrete from further water exposure and allowing water to get in through the upper seam where the concrete ceiling of the coldroom met the foundation walls. I'll post photos later so you can see what I mean... I also did some extensive renovations to Maibbeth's condo for a month and a half and nothing was being done on the house at that point.

So, fast forward to about a month ago and I was finally satisfied that we had no more water coming in to the coldroom and I could safely rebuild the room in to something normal. This house has VERY little in the way of available storage space, so this room was going to be a much needed storage area, with wall to wall racks, but I still wanted it to look like a finished room. The walls and floor have also been bleached and totally cleaned, and I poured a new cement floor that was level and fixed the plugged floor drain, which is commonly found in coldrooms. I won't be using the floor drain at all, but I didn't want to hide it just in case I need access to it later down the road.

Now, the room was still getting damp in heavy rain in a couple of spots along where the floor met the wall, but we're talking little spots maybe 2 inches big. Not a big deal, and once I start to fix up the exterior and I slope the lawn away from the house (now everything slopes TOWARDS the house, which is BAD), this will stop. So the first thing I need to do is build a sub floor and keep wood AWAY from moisture. The first thing I did was brush on a coat of water proofing sealant used for concrete and asphalt. Typically this is only used for exterior applications, but it will work fine for the coldroom. I brushed on a heavy coat all along where the floor meets the walls. Next up, I built the sub floor using a great product called DRIcore (click here for details), which is made specially for basements with moisture issues. Basically it's a 2' x 2' piece of plywood coated in resin with a plastic base on one side with little feet to keep the plywood part off the floor. Each section is grooved so they just interlock together for easy install. So here you can see the black sealant along with the DRIcore installed.

Posted Image

OK now it's time to install a vapor barrier and get the frame in place. It's extremely important that I install some form of vapor barrier between the concrete and the wall or else we're going to end up with the same problem of tins of moisture behind the walls and rotting our work. This was a critical error in the old room, they had no vapor barrier. This is what happens... in the winter, the concrete gets extremely cold but the inside of the room is warm and this warm stagnant air gets trapped in the walls with no air circulation and causes condensation to build up on the concrete. The condensation becomes heavy enough for water to start dripping down the walls to the floor where the wall studs are and now you have water getting in to the wood and other materials and you start developing rot and mold. So to prevent this, you create a vapor barrier that will stop warm stagnant air from hitting the cold concrete. In this case I used Durafoam from Plastifab (click here for product details). This gets installed right against the concrete and I used duct tape to tape up the seams. I used the same stuff on the outside as well when I installed the vinyl siding. I use contractor glue in a tube to hold the foam up in place, then the 2x3 framing wood is installed right against it.

Posted Image

The framing is free standing, nothing is nailed to the concrete itself. I simply make sure everything fits very tightly together and that will keep the walls where they need to be. Then I take out the framing nailer and away we go with will studs, set with 18" centers (this means that the studs are spaced 18" inches apart from the center of each stud). I also installed some ceiling studs to support my pending suspended ceiling and light fixtures.

By the way, you'll notice I didn't use DRIcore on the ceiling... I'll explain why later.

Posted Image

I've gone ahead and passed 14 gauge grounded electrical wire to I can have two electrical outlets in the room, so now it's time to install drywall.

Posted Image

Drywall is in, time to cut out and install the electric outlets... there's one here and the other is under the electrical panel. You can also see wiring in the ceiling for the lights.

Posted Image

Posted Image

First of 3 coats of drywall compound done and drying... I'll do a second coat a couple days later, let that dry and sand it, then do a final coat and sand that down with a fine drywall mesh. We're then ready for paint!

Posted Image

While the compound dries, I think it's time to tidy up my work area a bit...

Posted Image

OK kind of a big jump ahead here... I've gone ahead and primed/sealed the walls with Killz primer and painted two coats of CIL latex in a light grey/blue color. Once the paint was dry I installed the suspended ceiling, installed the lights and installed the shelve system.

Posted Image

Earlier I had mentioned that I didn't install DRIcore on the ceiling... the reason being that I have installed egg crate tiling in the ceiling (the chromed grill parts of the ceiling) and this will ensure that I have air circulating in the ceiling on a constant basis, which will prevent the buildup of condensation and moisture. Unlike the walls, the air in the ceiling will be moving and ventilated, whereas the air in the walls is basically dead non-moving air.

Posted Image

Next up, I installed floating floor I picked up from the Home Depot liquidation area for $0.50 a square foot and then installed floor trim.

Posted Image

Here you can see I've preserved the floor drain (I shoved a chrome bathtub drain I had in the 1.5" pipe I installed in the floor) and I built a new landing in the door frame out of the same flooring material and added a brushed metal plate. I will eventually build a door frame to go around the rest. Note the old water stains on the right section of the door frame from when water would pour in from above and look at the color difference between that piece and the 2x3 wall stud against it!

Posted Image

I then built a custom cabinet to cover the electrical panel and installed switches to the side... one switch controls the lights, the other is for the fireplace fan located on the other side of that wall. I then finished off the ceiling around the cabinet.

Posted Image

Nice and cozy in there...

Posted Image

Room is ready for stock!

Posted Image

I still have three more things to finish up in this room... I need to build an inner window frame and add trim to it so it has a finished look and then build the inner frame for the door. The finally I will remove the door and trim it to fit properly in the door and then install a couple of vents so that air circulates between the room and rest of the basement.

More to come soon... Feel free to post your comments or questions :) September is master bathroom month!

#2 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 10:39 AM

Oh I should probably mention something... this house was built in 1987 and was basically not touched since in terms of maintenance. All the windows and caulking are shot and there is water coming in from all the frames and the house is simply in bad shape due to the lack of owner care. I'm changing all that! :)

So the next health hazard that needs fixing is the area under the stairs. When you walk in to my house through the front door, the entrance has a set of stairs going up to the main level or downstairs to the basement. Under those stairs is the water main for the house, the hot water tank, and a small army of spiders and ickyness. Btw did I mention that I was PETRIFIED of spiders? I have to admit though, several months of renovating this house has GREATLY eased my fear of spiders... when I see a big daddy long legs or something creeping along I no longer recoil in fear and *shame faced* get my girlfriend to kill it. Now I just get annoyed at finding another damn spider and crush it with my fist or whatever is handy. But my flesh would CREEP at the thought of crawling under the stairs, it was wall to wall spiderwebs.

My hand was finally forced last week when I noticed that water was pouring in under there. A couple of months ago I installed a new air conditioning unit and the wall unit section was draining water in to what I thought was a drain under the stairs behind the hot water tank. Well by chance my brother came over and opened the door to the hot water tank and noticed a ton of water on the floor. We looked and found that the hose from the AC unit was on top of the drain rather than in it, so we figured it was simply water missing the drain holes and flowing towards the hot water tank and the access door. Well, last week I checked on the water and found nearly an inch of water in there!!! So I frantically pulled the bag and filter off the shop vac and started vacuuming the water out, pulled out the fans and started drying everything out (this was at 12AM no less). It was obvious the drain was blocked...

The next day I pick up a plumbing snake and start running it through the main water drain system, which is accessed via the garage. I open the cover and see a 4" pipe leading towards the stairs, so I run the snake in there and even after feeding all 25' of the snake, it's not coming out the other side of the drain, which is maybe 10' away. Great, time to go under the damn dreaded stairs... armed with my shop vac and 3 flash lights, I start to clean all the spiders and webs I see and slowly work my way under the stairs. I check out the "drain" only to realize it's only a damn clean out access point. So if the main drain going to the city sewer gets blocked, this is the spot where the city goes to unblock it with their own snake. Wonderful, not a drain... no wonder. So I relocate the hose to a drain in the garage, but then I notice something else. Mold... mold and rot under the stairs from years of water damage, and it's not from the 2 months of having the AC drain in there.

Check out the 2x4 on the floor near the wall... black with rot and spiderwebs all over the place, ugh.

Posted Image

Here's the clean out after I removed all the water that was in there...

Posted Image

Lots of water and look at the mold all over the drywall!

Posted Image

Ugh...

Posted Image

Turned out the office window was allowing water in between the panes, and then water would flow down the wall and trickle under the stairs. The wall you see in the first photo above is the drywall of the office, and right next to it is the window. So I used two tubes of caulking and sealed the entire window and frame. You can even open the window anymore as everything is sealed with caulking (I will be replacing it next year). A week later everything is now dry and with 3 days of rain, no more water came in under the stairs. Last weekend I went under there and cut out rotten sections of drywall, cleaned and vacuumed everything up, I'll post photos later. For now it will stay empty and I'll watch for more water, but eventually this will become very useful storage space :) When I start renovating the office, I'll be changing out the damaged wood and the rest of the drywall.

#3 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 12:12 PM

OK here's the space under the stairs after being dried out and cleaned and with some of the rotten drywall cut away.

One of the first things we did at the house was replace the tiny rented 40 gallon hot water tank with a 60 gallon high efficiency tank my brother scored me on liquidation at Home Depot in Ottawa. The old 40 gal wasn't even providing me with enough hot water for a shower beyond 5 minutes long and luuuuuuv my 20 long showers lol! My brother also removed the old copper (one copper section in the ceiling coming from the main actually fell apart in his hand... thank god we had the main off!) and replaced it all with Pex line.

Posted Image

This is the door where I found my paint and plaster cans sitting in almost an inch of water!

Posted Image

And then we go under the stairs (I have access under the stairs via a big hole cut out of the drywall in the garage, which I should mention is against building code and the inspector never mentioned it when I did the inspection for the house before buying it)...

Posted Image

The copper pipe coming from the ground is the water main for the house, you can see where my brother connected the Pex line. The black tube is the water drain line for the AC, which goes to the main water drain in the garage for now.

Posted Image

Nice and dry and clean!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Eventually this will be a storage area...

#4 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 12:58 PM

Another early project we did was to tear out the entire basement ceiling to give us access to the electrical wires and plumbing for the main floor above, and to be able to pass new wiring for various areas of the house. I guess depending on the city you live, you will see different types of basement ceiling finishes. I'm from Ottawa where the norm is suspended ceilings where you have tiles you can easily remove to access the ceiling fixtures without having to cut or destroy anything. Here in Montreal, every basement seems to be totally closed up with drywall. I suppose it looks nicer without the seams of a suspended ceiling, but what happens if you need to install plumbing or wiring? You're screwed...

So I tore it all out and installed suspended ceiling with some sexy pot lighting :) It came in very handy because the next week we had to run a new 10 gauge wire from the circuit box in the cold room to the complete other side of the house for the new hot water tank and a few moths later the same thing for the AC wiring.

Posted Image

If you look in the background, you can see the new coldroom :)

#5 NGPixel

NGPixel

Senior Programmer

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts
  • Interests:Web Design : Coding : Animation

Posted 25 August 2010 - 08:50 PM

In the last picture, the frame is not aligned...

#6 dEcade

dEcade

P2L Staff

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,850 posts
  • Interests:Guitar, Programming, Storm Chasing, Games (Designing and playing), Hockey, Photography

Posted 25 August 2010 - 11:25 PM

Looking good!

#7 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 07:34 AM

In the last picture, the frame is not aligned...

You mean of the ceiling? That's just from me moving them all the time to access the ceiling stuff :)

#8 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 08:34 AM

OK here we go... the famous BLUE BATHROOM FROM HELL! This is an all original 1980s built bathroom featuring blue ceramic walls, blue ceramic floor, blue counter, blue toilet, blue bathtub and it even had a blue sink that I replaced when I first moved in as it was rusted and falling apart underneath. At some point, the ceramic was falling apart or something so they threw on what we call here a "Bain Magique", which is a bathrub area liner... plastic you throw on the walls to cover up something that looks like crap lol!

This room will be stripped to the wall studs for a complete rebuild... destruction starts tonight! On with the "Before" pics...

Peering in the gaping maw... Door frame will be changed to white with a french style door with misted glass.

Posted Image

That wall section with the light switch and thermostat is actually the closet for my daughter's room on the other side. It will be removed completely to allow for a larger sink area in the bathroom and the closet will be rebuilt on the other side of the room when we take out the third upper bedroom, which will be the project after the bathroom is done!

Posted Image

The infinitely ugly "Bain Magique" (translated to English, it means Magic Bath) is that white plastic you see thrown over the tiles or god-knows-what under there. Gotta love how they just slapped it over the window and roughly cut out a hole... no J-trim, 90 degree trim, nothing.

Posted Image

No there's nothing wrong with your eyes, everything really is blue!

Posted Image

The ONLY light in the entire bathroom is this hideous hanging light thing... two tips for a small bathroom that these guys FAILED at. To make a small bathroom look bigger, use large tiles and lots of light. They did the opposite. Another charming aspect of this room is the plug... see the plug in the wall with my toothbrush plugged in? That's a low voltage outlet only, so you can't plug in anything like a hair dryer or something like that. The best part is the transformer that regulates the voltage is somewhere in the wall and it buzzes when the power is one so it sounds like a swarm of bees is in the wall everytime you use the bathroom. FUN!

Posted Image

Posted Image

There has been so much water and moisture allowed to accumulate OUTSIDE of the tub that the walls are literally disintegrating under the tiles. Here we see a co uple of wall tiles have fallen from the rotten drywall and look at the rot along the tub and wall where they covered it in white caulking. Mmmm tasty!

Posted Image

Same thing on the other side of the tub...

Posted Image

The window is full of nastiness... if you have a window in your shower area, slider style double pane is probably the absolute WORST style choice you could go with. The water, soap and grim get in the tracks and it's near impossible to wash it out. This window is flat out GROSS and I am sure every time I take a shower, water is leaking in to the walls.

Posted Image

It's not even glued to the wall or sealed... I can pull away the plastic from the wall and look at the mold! Can't wait to see what else is under there *vomit*

The entire window will be replaced with a solid PVC awning style window like this:

Posted Image

The frame will be an 8 inch PVC sill, so no more seams for water to get through, and NO WOOD! The ceramic tile will go right to the rim of the frame.

Posted Image

And here we see a sample of the new ceramic that will be going in... this is a Lux Modus 12" x 24" tile with laser cut edges so we can have the smallest grout lines possible. Just one of these tiles covers the same amount of space as 4.5 of the old ones! Just the fact that these tiles are large and light colored will dramatically affect the size perception of the bathroom.

Posted Image

Along with the ceramic, there will be a 4" tall line of Mosaic that will go around the entire room... the mosaic is GORGEOUS with small glass squares with metallic sparkles in it, some clear squares and some stainless steel squares. Here's a sample of it along with the ceramic we chose:

Posted Image

Next pics will be sledge hammer fun!

#9 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 07:59 AM

OK time for an update! I'm actually quite behind on this so lets get crackin with the latest photos! A few weeks ago I tore out out the lovely blue bathroom from hell ;) Here's some pics from the destruction:

Maibbeth takes the first crack at it with the sledge... 3 hits on the wall yeild little beyond a dent in the wall, but damn she looks hot swinging a 15lbs sledge hammer around lol!

Posted Image

One wall done to the bathtub...

Posted Image

This electrical will need to be completely taken out and relocated to another wall. On the other side of this wall the small closet in Corina's room, which will be totally removed to expand the bathroom a bit. I'll be building her a new closet in a future project later this year.

Posted Image

Tore out the sink... lots of mold and spiderwebs under there and VERY gross looking...

Posted Image

Mold, spider webs and a penny!

Posted Image

Here's a section of drywall I removed, by now you know what that black crap is...

Posted Image

More tile torn out...

Posted Image

Here I am tackling the plastic bath liner... I just tore out the liner on the wall with the window and I'm looking at the water and nastiness that was underneath. Under that plywood is probably more water and ickyness...

Posted Image

It's aaaalllllllll under control :popcorn:

Posted Image

Here's what was under the plywood... all that insulation will need to be replaced and new vapor barrier installed.

Posted Image

And here we have the temporary shower area set up. I'll continue to work on the rest of the bathroom before tearing out the tub and hauling it to the garage as the new bathing area lol!

More coming soon...

Posted Image

#10 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 08:52 AM

Unfortunately I didn't do a great job of documenting this particular renovation as it was really quite labor intensive and I didn't really have time to stop and take photos as I went along, but this was easily the most complicated project to date. The first step was to dry everything out once all the walls were totally stripped, the floors torn out (holy CRAP was this a dusty process). I spent a lot of time cleaning and dusting and I hauled 2 trailer loads to the dump. The tiles were sitting on a ridiculous 2 inch mortar base so there was TONS of cement to get rid of. Once that was done, my brother and mom offered their time and help and wanted to come down for the weekend. So while I waited for them, I added some plywood to the floor for extra stability with the new ceramic and replaced the insulation and added vapor barrier. The tub was also torn out and relocated in the garage over the main drain. I used wood strapping to make a frame and stapled plastic all around... I'll have to take a photo of it for you guys, it's hysterical! I also installed the new drain plumbing for the shower and installed the shower base by shimming it in place and gluing it with PL, then I'll use spray foam to fill all the gaps underneath. Once the spray foam hardens, I can pull out the shims and the base won't budge.

By the time my brother arrived, I had the room ready for all it's plumbing and electrical upgrades and had a MOUNTAIN of supplies in the house... I think Maibbeth was ready to kick my ass for turning the hallway in to a Home Depot. Alain arrived and instead of staying for 2 days, they ended up staying for 4 days! And one thing about my brother, the guy works like a MACHINE. He and I would start at around 7 AM and we'd keep going until 9PM and I'm sure if I let him, he'd just keep at it. He was HUGE help and I'm sure I would still be farting around with electrical at this point had it not been for him. Anyhow, with his help upgraded all the plumbing with PEX fittings, relocated all the lines, installed the new thermostatic valve and fixtures for the ubber shower and prepped the drain system for the sinks. After that we spent a day and a half in the 50c attic sweating our nuts off. Actually Alain spent most of the time in there, while I stayed on the ground and passed him tools and materials as he went at it. We installed ceiling fan (There was no fan at all in the old bathroom), attic duct hose from the fan to the special roof soffit adapter, installed new recessed lighting, including heat shield boxes and vapor barrier boxes and ran new electrical wiring for the new outlets and switches in the bathroom.

Once we had all the attic work done, we installed the electrical outlets and switches where they needed to be, relocated and rewired the heating electrical for the thermostat, then ran a new wire from the breaker to power the fan and GFI outlet. We also removed the old nasty slider window and replaced it with a brand new canopy style window I had ordered custom made a couple weeks earlier.

After all the electrical and plumbing was finally complete (3 days work, 14 hours a day) and the window was installed we were finally able to installed cement board and drywall yay! So we spent the last day putting up the walls (the entire shower area was cement board, the rest was moisture resistant drywall. By the time Alain left, there was only a little bit of drywall left to do and it would be time to install ceramic.

Monday morning I start to tidy up from the previous 4 days of hectic work and slowly put all my tools and materials away and get the last of the drywall up. Thursday arrives and my Dad is at my door at 6AM to help get my going on the ceramic.. he's installed a few more ceramic jobs than I have and I can definitely use his help. Installing small tiles is tedious, but it's a heck of a lot easier to fix errors as you go, especially when things aren't perfectly level. Well in my case, I am using HUGE 12" x 24" tiles, and each one must be set perfectly or else everything is thrown out of whack and it looks like crap.

So papi and I work very carefully measuring, checking levels and double-checking everything again and marking lines where we need to line up. My father is an amazing handy man... he's the guy handy men call when they can't figure something out lol! He can build and repair just about anything, from houses to cars to boats. Poor guy, I call him almost daily when I am on a big project, he becomes my personal home reno encyclopedia lol!

Anyhow, the work is very slow, but because we are taking the time to adjust and align and level everything perfectly, the tiles are laying down beautifully. After two days, we've got tiles all the way around at about 4 feet high, and one wall is at 5 feet plus the mosaic. Friday evening comes and he heads back to Ottawa so I'll be finishing up the tiles on the wall and doing the floor.

Monday morning I get crackin and by Tuesday the walls are done and the ceiling has been patched, mudded and sanded ready for paint. Wednesday I put in the floor and let it dry for 2 days. Friday afternoon I go in and prime and paint the ceiling... now we're ready for grout, which hopefully we'll be doing today!

So that's where we're at, here's some pics as I was finishing the ceramic...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks for looking!

#11 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 10:46 PM

Another quick update... grout is done and shower doors and frame installed as well as the shower fixtures...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Dan

#12 rc69

rc69

PHP Master PD

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,827 posts
  • Interests:Web Development

Posted 21 September 2010 - 11:18 PM

Personally, the bathroom looked better without the grout, but props none-the-less. That is a awesome looking bathroom. Now you need the toilet though... The sink can wait.

#13 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 12:58 PM

well bear in mind the walls and floor are still full grout film, once that's all cleaned up and the tiles are shiny, it will change the look again :)

Dan

#14 rc69

rc69

PHP Master PD

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,827 posts
  • Interests:Web Development

Posted 23 September 2010 - 10:39 PM

Oh i'm sure. The point that i failed to imply wiht my previous comment was that i liked how the individual tiles stood out more with out the grout. You probably could have acheived the same effect if you used a darker grout :)

#15 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 11:06 AM

Oh I see what you mean... ok no, the look I wanted was seamless, I wanted the grout lines to be as small and unnoticeable as possible. I used 1/16 spacers and white grout :) The style lately is really seamless tiles making it look like a solid unbroken surface, which I like. I find dark grouts make the room look like a gridwork and reduces the overall size of the room visually. So yeah, done like that on purpose lol!

#16 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 11:11 AM

Here's another update :) After some cleanup and finished the caulking... Still not done cleaning the grout film, but getting there! Lastnight I used the shower for the first time!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Toilet is going in today!

#17 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 09:33 PM

geez... looks like I need to post the final photos of the bathroom still! Oops... ok well until I go take photos of that, I wanted to share some photos of a condo I renovated. This is my girlfriend's old condo that she had rented out and was in need of major TLC after a 7 year tenant was done with it... heavy smoking and 3 dogs can cause quite a bit of a mess.

OK so in this project I had to redo all floors and trim in all rooms, plus I had to fix 3 door frames that were crooked. Needed complete painting, all closet doors had to be reinstalled and the bathroom was completely gutted and redone, including all brand new fixtures. Finally I did some major cleaning in the kitchen and repaired all the loose and bent doors and sanded and stained the wood trim on the doors and drawers to match the new floors.

Here's some pics:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks for looking!

#18 dEcade

dEcade

P2L Staff

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,850 posts
  • Interests:Guitar, Programming, Storm Chasing, Games (Designing and playing), Hockey, Photography

Posted 12 January 2011 - 10:24 AM

Wow looks awesome!

#19 SebLev

SebLev

Forum Whore is what I am today!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:52 PM

That place looks so quiet and calming, almost a Zen feeling to it. Love what you did with it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users