The iPhone 4 Running iOS4
Score: -1

Multiple Devices Running Android 2.0+
Score: 3

The BlackBerry Torch Running BlackBerry OS 6.0
Score:

Multiple Devices Running Windows Phone 7
Score:

Make a valid point that makes your favorite device better then others, or take a swing at a device to get points taken off.

Activity:

iOS4 - No Flash - android
Android - ubber awesome camera - Faken
iOS4 - solid and very polished OS - Hoot
Android - If you don't like the Android build you have, and your phone company won't give you another, just root your phone and install the latest and greatest. - rc69
Android - So far I've found apps for every possible function I've wanted. - Faken
iOS4 - iTunes is utter fail in any environment. - Faken

Edited by android, 11 November 2010 - 08:50 AM.

#2 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 02:05 PM

Can't wait for my XT720 to arrive!!! Android for the win and I love this phone for the ubber awesome camera. I may still get the Nexus if it comes in quicker, but I'm really digging the XT720 and I love the form factor with the "bump" even though others seem to dislike it. Makes it easier to hold, and for someone like me who seems to take a sick pleasure in dropping his phone, I need all the help I can get lol!

Dan

#3 android

android

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 02:42 PM

Can't wait for my XT720 to arrive!!! Android for the win and I love this phone for the ubber awesome camera. I may still get the Nexus if it comes in quicker, but I'm really digging the XT720 and I love the form factor with the "bump" even though others seem to dislike it. Makes it easier to hold, and for someone like me who seems to take a sick pleasure in dropping his phone, I need all the help I can get lol!

Dan

Everyone knows the iPhone is so thin, slick, and heavy so you can throw it further. That's the only reason I can think of for being arrow dynamic from a design point of view. What happened to grip??? Why are all these vendors following suit with Apple's half-ass shot at a phone design? I don't buy the "it's sexy" thing. Mozilla has something in the works...VERY nice looking so far.

#4 Hoot

Hoot

* Hooty Tooty Fruit *

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts
  • Interests:Making Websites, Working in 3D, Playing the Drums

Posted 03 November 2010 - 10:30 PM

Have to say, love my iPhone. The problem with android devices is there are so many and it's like oh I just got the hero or what ever and now a new one is out. WIth the iPhone I get a solid and very polished OS and a ton of apps.

Edited by Hoot, 03 November 2010 - 10:31 PM.

#5 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 03:42 PM

Just picked up my Nexus One phone and I am Mc' Lovin it!!

#6 android

android

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 03:43 PM

I would never go for any other touch phone other than the iPhone. The iPhones have had a lot of bad rep as have most phones, but id have to agree with what hoot says... How do I know what the new android phone out is? There's so many these days. I started with the t-mobile G1 back in 08 and I mist say, I much preferred it to the iPhone for ease of use and slide out qwerty keyboard. However at the time, iPhone were still relatively the new kids on the block in mobile technology (Phone wise) but since then I think iPhone have truly and wholeheartedly upped their game with the generations released up to the iPhone 4. iPhone 4, as much of a bad rep it got in terms of looks and faulty signals for the anti-anberdextrious, iPhone 4 in my personal honest opinion is, and will be for a long time, a cut above the rest of the smart touch phone competitors.

Give me a smart touch phone to compare with the iPhone 4 and I will give my honest opinion in comparison. I am in no way an iPhone famboy, I'm open to all touchphones up and coming, I just haven't come across a phone that has wowed me as much as the iPhone did!

My 2 cents :) (wrote this on my girlfriends iPhone!)

"How do I know what the new android phone out is?" -

Apple has brainwashed people into thinking new > functional ... which just ins't the case.

When you ask "Why is the iPhone a good phone?" to the consumers... a lot of the answers are "it's just better..." , "it feels better..." "it's cooler..." no real facts. Above is a perfect example.

The facts:
Camera: Camera quality on a phone doesn't matter. If you understand what the specs of the camera are, you're likely not using a phone to take pictures. If you're using it for general use, mega pixels, lens, shutter speeds, and other buzz words just sound nice as long as they're big numbers.

Memory: Memory should be up to the user... yeah you can buy a 32G iPhone, but what happens when you buy the 8G and want more space later? Gotta buy a new phone. All other smart phones support external memory, and there's no reason not to.

Flash: Apple is partially right about Flash not being "needed." HTML 5 can achieve most of what Flash does, but not ALL. And most websites haven't accommodated for this shift. Even so, why block it from the device all together? Firefox 4 isn't going to have the Flash plug-in included in the download, but you can still add it later if you want.

Materials: Glass is not a rugged or cheap material at all. It makes the device more expensive (on consumer side) and more fragile. The two biggest issues with any phone...They're expensive and break easily. To be honest, the best phone I've ever owned was a Nokia GoPhone from Walmart. It costs $25 and was washed, went for a swim, was dropped several times and even run over in the 4 years I had it. I can still call people on it.

UI: One constant on all touch phones today minus Windows Phone 7 is that psudo-button, slider, click-selection method. Why on earth would a UI simulate physical buttons in a virtual UI? If I can't feel it, it's not a button. Also, the method of clicking a single selection, waiting for a new page load and repeating the process is a primitive UI concept designed for a mouse on a desktop. A multi-touch surface opens the door to much more creative and innovative solutions when it comes to users getting the information they want. The best UI solutions I've seen were for ads. but i guess that's where the money is.

#7 N-sane Noob

N-sane Noob

Noob Leader

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Interests:Taking over stuff

Posted 04 November 2010 - 10:26 PM

Seriously, I'm tired of this android bullshit. My class is full of people who almost put the knife to your neck in order for you to switch to an android based phone.
It's good, I get it. But the same shit it does so does my jailbroken Iphone.

BTW: http://www.zdnet.com...e-android/38260

Posted Image

Edited by N-sane Noob, 04 November 2010 - 10:27 PM.

#8 rc69

rc69

PHP Master PD

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,827 posts
  • Interests:Web Development

Posted 04 November 2010 - 11:45 PM

Awesome pic there N-sane :D

Myself, I'm an Android junky; or more specifically a Google junky. You wouldn't catch me dead with an iPhone anywhere near me.

Simple reason? An age-old hatred for Apple.

Better reason? I've seen the iPhone, I've used an iTouch (regrettably). I own a HTC Hero, and I've used a number of other droid devices. True, new phones that support Android come out every other week. Each probably supports the latest Android build out of the box. But you know what's awesome? If you don't like the Android build you have, and your phone company won't give you another, just root your phone and install the latest and greatest. Afterwards, the only difference between your phone, and the newest droid-on-the-block is the hardware (i.e. processor, battery life, screen resolution, etc...). Unlike with the iPhone, you can pick hardware that you actually like and still get the OS that you love.

My driving point: I'm a fan of choices, Apple doesn't give you that (AT&T contract anybody?).

#9 android

android

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 09:13 AM

Looking down the road... by next year... Windows Phone 7 will be the feature device for atleast 2 major carriers, Apple will have moved out of the mobile industry onto surface computers to catch up to MS surface, Android will be thrown out and Google will have Chrome OS running on their own device which they will give away for free, and blackberry will be in the same place it is today...lost.

#10 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 10:23 AM

Posted Image

hahah that's awesome!

#11 SebLev

SebLev

Forum Whore is what I am today!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 08:04 PM

I have a Blackberry Storm and it's horrible. I will admit I have the first generation which lacks power but still. The camera is crap even with the flash, it's freezes and and very slow at responding to half the things I try to do on it, I miss calls because it's so slow and has a small choice of apps.

On the other hand I have an iPad and most of my friends have the iPhone 4, it's great, simple but very functional, camera is great on it and video too. The variety of apps is amazing on it and you have some pretty great games on it for 1-3$. Web browser is awesome and you can have multiple pages (unlike BB).

As for android, I haven't really ever used one or even see a lot of my friends with them so I have nothing good or bad to say about it.

#12 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 09:02 AM

Been a few days now with my Nexus One... AND I LOVE IT! Awesome phone, so glad I picked this one up. Super fast, the browser is kick ass (I used the BB one for a bit on a 9000 Bold and it's pure poop in comparison) and TONS of apps from the Android market. The GPS navigation is excellent but when I get a chance I need to change the voice for the prompts if it can be done (haven't looked at all yet). Having a woman with an English accent trying to pronounce french named streets is hilarious at first, but starts getting annoying when you genuinely need to know where the hell you're going. So will look in to that later this week. So yeah, tons and tons of free apps... not sure why the iphone camp keep saying they have millions of free apps like no other phone OS does. So far I've found apps for every possible function I've wanted. So very happy with the app support, even got one for my client application software so I can run the hosting biz right from my phone.

Overall, I'm extremely happy with the phone and haven't really found anything worth complaining about. I would have to say my only complaint about smartphones in general is how quickly the batteries get drained. I know it's not just my phone, all phones drain pretty quick with heavy use... but you definitely can't go take off for a few days without your charger or you can forget about having a working phone for a day or two. The BB Bold was even worse... I barely played with it day to day and I still had to charge it almost once a day. At least this one I can understand as I use it for music, IMing and browsing quite a bit daily.

#13 android

android

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 01:47 PM

Got my Windows Phone 7 Today... Loving it so far... Just a few road blocks so far, but all over... 100% blows all other smart phones out of the water.

Both iPhone and Android came out with 400 apps on the market. (90% of them were fart apps or equivalent) WP7 comes out the gate with 1000 apps which meet VERY strict specs set my Microsft. (annoying for developers, good for end users)

the xbox live isn't too impressive right now, but the plans for it are quite amazing... but we'll see. Call quality is GREAT (LG Quantum) and finding/calling people was a snap compared to both android and iPhone.

Major Plus + New UI, Touch done RIGHT
Major Fail - Very closed off media environment. Have to use Zune, can't use Rhapsody which I'm already paying for on my Android. (half the price, same service) But we'll see what Zune has to offer.

Like XP, Vista, and Win 7...service packs already being promised on release of the OS :( Isn't that saying "Hey, you're not buying the finished product?"

No points for or against yet... But I'll see how I feel about it after a week.

#14 SebLev

SebLev

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 09:05 PM

Got my Windows Phone 7 Today...100% blows all other smart phones out of the water.

Says the guy who is promoting Android all over with his name and sig. lol

#15 android

android

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 09:51 AM

didn't say android was a bad phone... its just nothing new.

#16 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 11:33 AM

I saw a video Nick sent me of the Windows phone interface and I definitely think it looks cool. Still, VERY happy with my N1 :D

#17 android

android

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 09:41 AM

Alrighty... After some more play time with mr. 7...

BEAUTIFUL product (LG quantum)

I've found the device to be extremely user friendly for a first time Windows Mobile user. The UI is completely different from the traditional desktop/icons etc interface. The Live tile feature keeps me up to date with facebook, twitter, xbox live etc... without having to open an app. Similar to Moto-Blur or HTC Sense. It's not as customizable as either of those, but it's functionality and lack of glitches put it over them in my book.

I could go on about the UI all day...but I'll spare you all.

As for display...the focus has a very nice AMOLD screen which I guess is neat if you need super high-quality...but for the rest of us, the Quantum and Surround both have sufficient display's that get the job done.

The Apps are some of the best software I've used in a mobile environment. Again, the UI...well, you get it... But even gaming which I was hesitant to try was quite impressive. Although, I do recommend the quantum for gaming...gotta have buttons. Rumor has it that a pocket xbox control is on the way.

On the flip side of that...Paid services like Pandora and Rhapsody for music which I currently have been using on my android are not available (yet) Still toying with Zune Pass as an alternative... for 2x the price of rhapsody... we'll see about this one.

One of the coolest parts of the phone was the jump the new device. I backed up all my contacts to Google/facebook and resynced to the new device as I would have a new android device. Lots of cool points there. Dunno about iPhone though... I don't think iTunes and windows will ever get along.

That's all I got for now.

Greetz

#18 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 05:04 PM

iTunes is utter fail in any environment. The first time I was introduced to iTunes, I couldn't believe how ridiculous the entire concept was to use it to upload and sync an MP3 player. One of the worst software/hardware relationships I have ever seen in my life.

#19 SebLev

SebLev

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 11:22 PM

One of the worst software/hardware relationships I have ever seen in my life.

Agreed. It's a horrible set up and every time I try and do something or put something on my iPad it says I need to format my device to perform this task. I understand that they are trying to do this to limit pirating but I think it's just pissing more people off. It restricts me from doing things with products I BOUGHT.

#20 android

android

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 08:58 AM

iTunes is utter fail in any environment. The first time I was introduced to iTunes, I couldn't believe how ridiculous the entire concept was to use it to upload and sync an MP3 player. One of the worst software/hardware relationships I have ever seen in my life.

It's not even just the relationship that is trash. The software as a whole has gotten bloated with too many features. As a new user, I wouldn't think to open iTUNES to download videos or apps. The UI has evolved just as slowly as the iPhone itself... 1 mm at a time. iTunes needed a face-lift in v2, but all we got were more features in the same UI. It's like selling pizza in a bookstore, but instead of setting up a nice counter with a sign and its own register, they just put the boxes on the bookshelves.

On the other hand, the iMarket is made up of those who have used iTunes/iPods since day one. They don't seem to show an interest in new users. (seeming exclusive makes them cool)

Zune...i must say...is getting up there with iTunes though...lots of bloat-ware. I did see some snap shots of the Chrome store.... looking fancy Google!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users