Ok, i am stuck

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 _*Heki_*

_*Heki_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2004 - 02:06 AM

Just let me tell you, since i have discovered this board, i got so many ideas on what i could do ... i imediatly started to draw some scatches ... made a few layouts and then tried to make them in ps. and there is where the problem starts.
first of all i am not happy with the result. It is far from finished, but it is "bleh" now and i see no point in continueing. so i desided to ask for help, tips ... (i dont want you to creat it for me, couse i want to do it myself).
so here is the photo of my layout (pls dont laught, i am a n00b in ps).
Posted Image

ok;
first the coulor of the layout. Hm in my head i have an idea of a nice gloving grey (similar to metal, if you know what i mean). see my picture. does it look like that?? not in 1039542034 years.
second the lines. are there to many lines?
third the shadows, ok they are linked with the glowing layout color, but ...
fourth i want to add 1 more color, i was thinking light blue? but where, the layout is dead right now (maybe it would look better with the header, but i need to finish layout first, than i will get to the header)
Ok, i know there are more things, but first can you help me with this 5 things?

Thank you,
Heki

#2 _*becksman2_*

_*becksman2_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2004 - 03:54 AM

hmm.. from the first glance, it seems nice to me.. but then as you mentioned b4, there're some improvement that can be done here. from my humble opinion:

1. about the color, it's nice to know that you would like try to have somekind of metal effect. I think you should try to use gradient or add some gradient overlay from medium dark grey --> lighter grey instead of using plain grey color. give it a tone until u feel it looks somekind of metal. i believe there're some tutorials here you can use to create metal effects.

2. i think the lines is just nice.. it's not considered to much since all of them are nicely placed and the space are just nice. sometimes, the simpler's the better. use your creativity to place the lines accordingly.

3. i would suggest you to try to adjust the settings for your drop shadow. i believe that the distances & size is too far & big. one more thing, try to reduce the opacity so it won't look more dominant than your content. For the "news", "links" & "contact" column header ( white square under the titles), i won't suggest you to use drop shadow as well.. since it looks unreal ( feels like all of the things were put on top of each others like layers, doesn't look as a whole or one piece.. hope u get what i mean).

4. It's a good idea to have another color. try to use colors that will complement the metal effects you're trying to achieve. some colors that i would suggest you to use are blue(dark/medium/light),orange(dark/medium), yes..grey(dark/medium), purple(dark/medium), black(not so recommended) and few other colors that looks nice on grey. try to look for examples of website that use these metal effects.

I'm not sure what you're going to put inside the header, but i feels like it's too big for me. but nvm.. it all depends on you.. hope you'll get some ideas from my opinions. good luck and have fun with ps ;) all the best

#3 _*Heki_*

_*Heki_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2004 - 04:21 AM

Thank you for your info.

i was thinking of using light blue.

the header; hm it will bi flash animated, so i need some space, i might increase the hight of the layout, so that in info panel is going to be bigger.

about the color. can you give me the ps number (or how you guys say it?), the code of the color? there are many tutorials, i have to choose one ;)

about the shadows; good point, i will reduce and adjust the settings

ps. link metal, something like this, but lighter

#4 _*FaultySanity_*

_*FaultySanity_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2004 - 10:23 AM

Give it some realism, bevel & emboss - colors - Drop shadows - Inner shadows, etc

#5 _*Heki_*

_*Heki_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2004 - 04:44 AM

can someone do me just one metal boarder and attach the psd file here?

#6 _*Heki_*

_*Heki_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2004 - 06:03 AM

Ok, i have gone completly the other way ;), but i like it.
tell me what you think, and what should i do with the white center thing.
i wanted to draw something like in the header ...

Posted Image

:)

#7 _*Jaymz_*

_*Jaymz_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2004 - 09:14 AM

Nice, much better

#8 _*Heki_*

_*Heki_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2004 - 09:49 AM

he he he
thank you.
i am laughing, couse i made similar signature, like yours.
first layout:
Posted Image

than 2 sigs:
Posted Image
Posted Image

:D

#9 _*Jaymz_*

_*Jaymz_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2004 - 10:02 AM

That's kind weird, I used the pic from the Logo-Shack.net babe thread in the forums... lol

Also, I'm not liking those gel title bars on the boxes, they don't seem to fit....

Edited by Jaymz, 09 August 2004 - 10:03 AM.

#10 _*Heki_*

_*Heki_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2004 - 10:42 AM

blah i know
that is why i asked for advice on what to put there?
any ideas? about the whole 3 boxes?

#11 _*Jaymz_*

_*Jaymz_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2004 - 11:31 AM

I think they look good without the blue gel. Just remove the blue ones and put the box's title (Ex: navigation, content, etc) on the grey bar above the box and it'll work great. Then some sory of tech header would look nice in the top area :D

#12 _*mYth_*

_*mYth_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2004 - 01:46 PM

Plan for slices early......

I would use what you already have make a new layer and use the same thing for the header as the blue thing, if it doesnt look right give it a color overlay to a blue hue...

#13 _*Heki_*

_*Heki_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2004 - 02:44 AM

there, somethink i did, i cant realy make my mind on what to use in a header. this look icy ;) making also a crystal, which will be put in a corner somewhere.
what do you think?
Posted Image

#14 _*Magnetronkip_*

_*Magnetronkip_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2004 - 04:51 AM

it is nice put a banner in it slice it an you have a website

#15 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 08:20 AM

Oh nice one... I like the banner you put in there ;)

Faken

#16 _*Jay_*

_*Jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2004 - 01:19 PM

deffinatly a big improvement made from the original :lol:

i like how ur using the critism and improving it, u'll be a gud designer one day B)

#17 _*Heki_*

_*Heki_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2004 - 12:52 PM

thank you.
:lol:
B)

#18 _*mYth_*

_*mYth_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2004 - 01:20 PM

There is a tenticle tutorial some where, try that, and make some snow caps on the tenticles to give it a icy snow look to it, see what that does..

Looks good though!

#19 _*Dabu_*

_*Dabu_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2004 - 01:38 PM

There is a tenticle tutorial some where, try that, and make some snow caps on the tenticles to give it a icy snow look to it, see what that does..

Looks good though!

nah those effects are way overused and make me throw up everytime i see them. I like your layout the way that it is. The menu buttons can use a bit of work but besides that its great

#20 _*Heki_*

_*Heki_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2004 - 01:58 PM

yes,

what should i do with my buttons?? tips??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users