13 replies to this topic

#1 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 02:21 AM

Meta tags are still very important for SEO (search engine optimization) and in this tutorial you will learn how to use meta tags constructively and how to place them on your own website. When you have finished creating your meta tags and they are uploaded to the internet visit Widexl Meta Tag Analyzer which will help you improve your meta tags.

Placement

Meta Tag Tutorial<br />

This tag tells the search engine or curious user the email address of author of the website. It is a good idea to include this tag, especially if you sell your webmaster services to others.

This tells the search engines and browsers the document character set, see the W3 Character Set Documentation for more information.

Use these tags to list the different keywords you would like search engines to list you for. Select relevant keywords to the content on your site. It is important to have a high keyword relevancy and a good keyword density.

Use this meta tag to describe your website. This should be user friendly because many search engines display this text as the description of your website.

This tag should be included so that you can claim credit for the site and as information services (like Alexa) may list this information.

This tag plays two parts, the first part is to tell a search engine whether or not to index the current page and the next is to tell it whether or not to follow links on the page. The possible values are: Index, NoIndex & Follow, NoFollow.

This tells the Robot how long to wait before it revisits the page.

This tells the search engines and browsers what language the page is in.

This classifies the rating of your page. Possible values are; General, 14 years, Restricted, Mature.

This tag is optional as most webmasters want their site to be viewed worldwide. However, if your site is relevant only locally then this may be a good opportunity to use this tag.

Title of page

Although this is not a meta tag is should be treated with care. It should be used as an extension of the keywords of the page yet user-friendly.

Conclusion

Use all the tags above and follow the guidelines and a large amount of your search engine optimization is complete. Although large companies will hire professionals for the job smaller companies do it themselves as it is relatively simple. Meta tags are a vital part of the search engine optimization process. The rumour that they are now not important is not true, as Google, the search engine giant, has mentioned in the SEO section on its website.

About the Author
Benjamin Wigoder is a part-time webmaster who has proven that anybody can be successful on the web.
Visit www.benwiggy.com for more info on website building

============

Meta Tags And How To Use Them - Part 2

#2 Jaymz

Jaymz

Retired P2L Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,104 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 09:34 AM

Thanks for posting Donna, another great read :P

#3 Arutha

Arutha

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 01:59 PM

yea thanks alot, just what i was looking for on meta tags

#4 Obyvatell

Obyvatell

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 04:53 PM

Just when I thought I knew everything about meta tags. Many thanks for posting it :huh:

#5 benwiggy

benwiggy

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 09:04 AM

Wow I'm glad you guys like it (I wrote it!) I never thought it would get around the web so quickly!

P.S. If you wanna check the original article is here: http://www.benwiggy....tagtutorial.php

Edited by benwiggy, 15 August 2005 - 09:05 AM.

#6 Jamie Huskisson

Jamie Huskisson

Retired P2L Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,648 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 09:38 AM

you missed out a couple, like the copyright tag for example.. :P

but good article

#7 benwiggy

benwiggy

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 10:03 AM

you missed out a couple, like the copyright tag for example.. :P

but good article

I don't need a copyright tag its my article!

#8 Jamie Huskisson

Jamie Huskisson

Retired P2L Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,648 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 10:14 AM

no.. i meant the actual meta copyright tag in your listing of all the tags...
<meta name="copyright" content="copyright info">

theres a couple of google specific tags too, but i'm not sure if they validate or not as i haven't tried them

#9 benwiggy

benwiggy

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 11:40 AM

no.. i meant the actual meta copyright tag in your listing of all the tags...
<meta name="copyright" content="copyright info">

theres a couple of google specific tags too, but i'm not sure if they validate or not as i haven't tried them

I think I'll write a part two!

EDIT: I don't like the way people think Google is God, yes they are the major player in the search engines but they shouldnt think they can start inventing their own meta tags...

To Jay: There is a Googlebot tag: <META NAME="GOOGLEBOT" CONTENT="NOARCHIVE"> - and I'm going to write up a follow-up article to my first one on meta tags...

Edited by benwiggy, 15 August 2005 - 12:16 PM.

#10 Jaymz

Jaymz

Retired P2L Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,104 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 12:18 PM

they shouldnt think they can start inventing their own meta tags...

Why not? It allows site owners better control over what exactly googlebot does, a brilliant move by big G.

#11 Jamie Huskisson

Jamie Huskisson

Retired P2L Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,648 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 12:42 PM

sorry but in my opinion you should probably just add it in.. its only 2 tags missed :ph34r:

what else would you add for a part 2???

#12 benwiggy

benwiggy

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 01:24 PM

sorry but in my opinion you should probably just add it in.. its only 2 tags missed :ph34r:

what else would you add for a part 2???

googlebot tag has many values and there are others like redirects and more you might now even have heard of! Sorry I have got to rush - dinner on table! :o

#13 TMZHosting LLC

TMZHosting LLC

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 211 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 07:57 PM

thanks for sharing that with us

#14 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff