#1 Danny

Danny

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 262 posts
  • Interests:web design

Posted 14 June 2006 - 10:06 AM

Hello, ive recently been making changes to my web site. Im making it so that it expands/colapses depending on your screen size.

There are 4 things id like comments on, the design it self, the content (i.e. Wording, amount of information on each page and so on), the flow of the site (i.e. is it user friendly). Also id like your views on its apeal. Does it make you want to return? if not how can i change this?

Any or all Helpful reviews that have enabled me to better my site will have there 468 x 60 banner placed into rotation on my site (if requested) for free.

I've only just started expanding my sites template. Index and template pages are currently converted. Other pages such as userbars and Links are in the old format.

Thank you for your time.

#2 Hoot

Hoot

* Hooty Tooty Fruit *

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts
  • Interests:Making Websites, Working in 3D, Playing the Drums

Posted 14 June 2006 - 10:38 AM

In fire fox some of the stuff doesn't fit together right...

Hoot

#3 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 10:48 AM

If your going to have advertisements on your site at least blend them into the actual design, all I see is ads. The content text is too small and hardly readable. You ask if it's user friendly I say no it's way too jumbled, would I return? no becuase quite plainly all I see is ads when I go there.

#4 funkysoul

funkysoul

The Funky Stuff

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,307 posts
  • Interests:Music: HIM, HIM, HIM, Cafe del Mar, Linkin Park, Fort Minor, Coldplay, Eric Jordan<br />Sports: Snowboarding, KiteSurfing, Extreme Sports<br />Computer: Flash, After Effects, Actionscript

Posted 14 June 2006 - 10:58 AM

same as Donna

#5 Nike

Nike

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 204 posts
  • Interests:Controlling the human and and duck race.

Posted 14 June 2006 - 11:07 AM

Agreed. and the broken images are annoying.

#6 Danny

Danny

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 262 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 12:04 PM

There are 3 adds on the index and 2 on most of the rest...

so if i increase the content and fix the so called broken images it would be fine?

Edited by Danny, 14 June 2006 - 12:07 PM.

#7 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 12:06 PM

You know there should be rules for this :mellow: Constructive critism only. :P..

And that's what I gave you, that's how I see your site.

#8 Danny

Danny

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 262 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 12:09 PM

My ad to inxed ratio is lower than p2l index..

any way if increase the content on the index, would that balance it out?

#9 Nick

Nick

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 12:11 PM

You should try blending your ads into your design more. It seems like they get noticed/clicked on more when they fit into the layout than when they are all flashy and distracting.

Also, there is really no point to putting an ad in the header/banner. They RARELY get click. If you at least took that one down it would be much better!

That's just my opinion :mellow:

#10 Danny

Danny

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 262 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 12:13 PM

i thought of that but then id have an empty space there. :mellow:

Edit: At the moment those are the only banners in my rotation, maybe if i had varying banners it would be better?

Edited by Danny, 14 June 2006 - 12:15 PM.

#11 funkysoul

funkysoul

The Funky Stuff

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,307 posts
  • Interests:Music: HIM, HIM, HIM, Cafe del Mar, Linkin Park, Fort Minor, Coldplay, Eric Jordan<br />Sports: Snowboarding, KiteSurfing, Extreme Sports<br />Computer: Flash, After Effects, Actionscript

Posted 14 June 2006 - 09:23 PM

like many of the people said, try to put your ads a little more subtile...
They just don't match the layout.. oh and If I see a site with with so much banners, then I just drop out... want to see the content and not the banners.

#12 Nick

Nick

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 10:28 PM

i thought of that but then id have an empty space there. :mellow:

I think that empty space would look better than the ad there. I'm sure if you thought hard enough you could come up with something to put there...

Edited by Nick, 14 June 2006 - 10:29 PM.

#13 Danny

Danny

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 262 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 04:00 AM

What about if i remove the middle one instead lol, If you look at the other pages,

Tutorials,
Templates,
Links,

They look ok with the banners.

I think once ive thought of something to put there then ill remove the top one.

Unless i put google adds there, and colour them orange, and then for the otehers colour them white? would that be better?

#14 funkysoul

funkysoul

The Funky Stuff

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,307 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 07:07 AM

I would say it would look much better..

#15 Dirk Black

Dirk Black

Sir Emo Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • Interests:C4D graphic artwork and design, music (guitar songwriting vocals.) Painting, photography, video games.

Posted 15 June 2006 - 08:10 AM

yeah the adds scare me off big time, i wouldnt come back. sorry

#16 Nick

Nick

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 10:41 AM

Google ads would look MUCH better because they would be able to blend in, and not be so flashy and distracting.

#17 Danny

Danny

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 262 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 12:28 PM

Hmm, but then i wont earn as much :wacko: what todo!!!!.. well i guess since you all say it drastically removes from the design of the site, i guess they have to go :(

#18 Pax

Pax

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 12:33 PM

Hmm, but then i wont earn as much :wacko: what todo!!!!.. well i guess since you all say it drastically removes from the design of the site, i guess they have to go :(

Ammount per click or however it is you'll get paid isn't how to judge what youll make. Its more how many users will come to my site, how many of them will click on an add, and how many will be return visitors and what are the odds they'll reclick an add?

Now from whats been said here, the current ads are annoying and dont flow with the site. Most people would not come back. Most people would not stay on your site. Youre not getting many clicks that way....

#19 Danny

Danny

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 262 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 04:28 PM

i dont earn anything from them, fs-is is my host and ive known him for years so i put them up just to fill the layout.

as for returning visits:

June so far:

Unique: 1137
Hits: 54158

Thats not page loads, thats actual visits, however its probablly not as high as it could be.

I think i do need new adds, text ads. Ill try and add them this week and ill post back to see if you think its better or worse.

#20 mihir

mihir

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 08:08 PM

Hello friend! Now there is no problem with the advertisements, but consider doing the following changes :

1. Draw a line inside the homepage vertically dividing it into two. The left side should consist of the new templates section, and the right of the line "Why choose us?" and below it news. Increase the font size and make the buttons for new templates bigger. Take the advertisement in the middle to the bottom of the page. By this you can include that advertisement in all pages.

2. The colour of the heading area and the navigation menu and the dividing and title bars should light gray. So visitors will not get distracted by the ads.

3. Increase the size of the navigation butons and make them slighty dark grey. when ooe is clicked it should turn into dark grey and users should not be able to click on it again.

4. Move the welcome guest text to the far left and increase its size.

5. Because your site is about web designing, put the templates and terms of service sections right below "Home" button and the forum related buttons below it.

6. Bring the board statistics section downward and put the statistics about how many templates you have and how many users have brought them etc.

Try makig these changes name and if you find them useful please reply, i will suggest changes to idividual pages. And finally a word my friend:
Don't get worried or confused about your site, its statistics are already good.

bye!

Mihir

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users