• This topic is locked This topic is locked
33 replies to this topic

#1 hobbkins

hobbkins

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:Graphic Design, Surfing, Snowboarding, Photography, Web Design, Design in general, Programming

Posted 03 July 2006 - 12:11 AM

I just finished my online portfolio (hosted by FriHost, the best free online hosting service I've ever encountered). All xhtml, css and graphics are uniquely mine, was written only with Note Pad and validates according to W3C's standards.

The site won't get a lot of hits, and will mainly be viewed only by people I hand the address out to. *Since it is a portfolio, the main content is the portfolio section.* However, I still want the site to be as functional and efficient as possible. It was, after all, a learning experience (my first site) and I want to learn from my mistakes and move on to a larger project with my acquired knowledge.

The site can be found here.
URL is http://bubinski.frih.net

Tell me what you like, dislike, love, or flat out can't stand. Ideas for improvements would be nice too.

Edited by hobbkins, 03 July 2006 - 10:00 PM.

#2 Matheus

Matheus

P2L Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 02:13 PM

very good
I like it, good choice of colors

#3 Erik Bernskiold

Erik Bernskiold

Jedi In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 422 posts
  • Interests:I love to do booth Web Design and Photography. Nothing beats a nice day out in the nature with the camera gear, getting loads of nice photos. I have been playing the flute for 6 years now and I love it, and I am playing the pipe organ as well. I also like to teach other people the in and outs of software such as the CS3 suite from Adobe.

Posted 03 July 2006 - 02:19 PM

First off, I love the header! It looks very nice! I don't like the gradient which continues at the top of the content though. Otherwise good. Oh, and also, there seems to be an error with the popups on the portfolio, they disappear for me before I can see anything.

#4 hobbkins

hobbkins

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:Graphic Design, Surfing, Snowboarding, Photography, Web Design, Design in general, Programming

Posted 03 July 2006 - 10:02 PM

What browser are you using Erik B?

The popups are powered by a javascript I pulled of another forum. Could your pop-up blocker be closing them? I think that might be the problem. Could anyone point me to an alternative script/technique for linking larger images to thumbnails, or take a look at the script I have embedded in the portfolio pages to tell me what's wrong with it? I'd greatly appreciate it :D .

Also, the gradient was experimental. My first version didn't call for it, and I was only going to keep the current style if it received positive feedback.

Thanks for the input so far :lol:

#5 albinoAZN

albinoAZN

Albinos Are Extinct!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 12:18 AM

Says it's down right now.

#6 MAdEinUK1

MAdEinUK1

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 01:10 AM

Nice layout and colour scheme =)

#7 Erik Bernskiold

Erik Bernskiold

Jedi In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 422 posts
  • Interests:I love to do booth Web Design and Photography. Nothing beats a nice day out in the nature with the camera gear, getting loads of nice photos. I have been playing the flute for 6 years now and I love it, and I am playing the pipe organ as well. I also like to teach other people the in and outs of software such as the CS3 suite from Adobe.

Posted 04 July 2006 - 04:28 AM

What browser are you using Erik B?

The popups are powered by a javascript I pulled of another forum. Could your pop-up blocker be closing them? I think that might be the problem. Could anyone point me to an alternative script/technique for linking larger images to thumbnails, or take a look at the script I have embedded in the portfolio pages to tell me what's wrong with it? I'd greatly appreciate it ;) .

Also, the gradient was experimental. My first version didn't call for it, and I was only going to keep the current style if it received positive feedback.

Thanks for the input so far :)

It look much better now without the gradient!

I use Firefox 1.5, and I get no sign of blocked popups at all. If it blocks them they never come up, but now they close. However now it seems to work again :)

#8 ReX D

ReX D

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Design, Development, Flash, Photoshop!

Posted 04 July 2006 - 10:18 AM

nice work....

#9 Aussiestinger

Aussiestinger

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 270 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 10:27 AM

Good you took the gradient out of the content, really wasn't a fan of that, and not too sure about the background gradient going into black. I really like the header on this one, the navigation is good too. Nice work.

#10 hobbkins

hobbkins

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 02:04 PM

Says it's down right now.

I'm using a free hosting service, so if the site doesn't seem to load, try refreshing the site, and if that doesn't work then, well, I guess you get what you pay for :( .

I changed the background.

Any thoughts for improvements in displaying artwork in the portfolio section?

#11 Danny

Danny

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 262 posts
  • Interests:web design

Posted 04 July 2006 - 03:06 PM

just create a simple thumbnail and next to it a small description, when you click on the thumbnail it takes you to a html page that contains only that image.

doing that will make it look quite nice and all users (using old or new browsers can view them).

Its a nice site but im also unable to view the images in your portfolio, and ive tried I.e and firefox (both are the newest versions)

#12 hobbkins

hobbkins

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 06:50 PM

just create a simple thumbnail and next to it a small description, when you click on the thumbnail it takes you to a html page that contains only that image.

doing that will make it look quite nice and all users (using old or new browsers can view them).

Its a nice site but im also unable to view the images in your portfolio, and ive tried I.e and firefox (both are the newest versions)

I think thats the way to go. Javascript (this script at least) seems to be causing too many headaches.

#13 Danny

Danny

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 262 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 01:50 AM

Yeah, you dont want to over complicate things, sure its nice to use up to date and effective coding like php and java, but sometimes html is more than capable of doing the same job in half time. Plus Html is viewable by all users, regardless of browser secuirty settings. :(

Edit: It looks alot nicer now, good job.

Edited by Danny, 05 July 2006 - 01:52 AM.

#14 Erik Bernskiold

Erik Bernskiold

Jedi In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 03:44 AM

The new background look much nicer than the old! Good work!

#15 hobbkins

hobbkins

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 02:17 AM

Completely revamped the photography section and how photographs are displayed (simply links to an html document now)

Check it out, and once again, critiques greatly appreciated.

#16 Erik Bernskiold

Erik Bernskiold

Jedi In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 03:41 AM

That looks much much, much better now! But I think, maybe include a bottom back link for faster navigation?

#17 Danny

Danny

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 262 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 03:42 AM

Big improvement, good work.

#18 hobbkins

hobbkins

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 10:20 AM

That looks much much, much better now!

thank you very much :D

I feel the site's design has come a long way with the aid of your comments, and I want to thank you for that.

So,
Thank You! :)

#19 Erik Bernskiold

Erik Bernskiold

Jedi In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 11:15 AM

We all help out eachother so no problem. There is nothing worse than being stuck not knowing what to do :)

And I share the vision with you, your site and design has come long way, and the portfolio now displays you as an artist much better than previous, clean and nice!

Glad I could be of help!

#20 hobbkins

hobbkins

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 11:54 AM

Completely redesigned the site to have a more unique feel, but not done quite yet...

Re-comment please. I'd appreciate it.

I'm looking for a good way to create a tiling background for the site. Anyone know of some good tutorials on the subject? I might just have to draw one freehand.

Also, there's a discrepency in the way the site's displayed between ie and firefox. I used the height property in my css stylesheet to clip the background color of the h2 element, making the bottom of the text flush with the bottom edge of the background. If you know how to acheive this effect in both browsers, please inform me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users