Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

How to get your site listed like this....

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 c0de_1

c0de_1

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Web Design, PHP

Posted 28 March 2007 - 06:11 PM

If you go to google and search for CNN (http://www.google.co...cnn&btnG=Search)

How do you get some of your site's categories listed like World, US News, etc like CNN has?

Thanks all!

Edited by c0de_1, 29 March 2007 - 04:30 PM.

#2 raidsilver

raidsilver

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 11:51 AM

Google has CNN indexed and crawled very specifically. CNN.com has been set up to be listed in search engines in that way. Plus CNN is also a damn popular site so google is going to have a bit more detail on them then other sites.

I suggest the use of a robots.txt file and giving the crawler some good content to crawl through.

#3 c0de_1

c0de_1

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Web Design, PHP

Posted 02 April 2007 - 06:13 PM

Google has CNN indexed and crawled very specifically. CNN.com has been set up to be listed in search engines in that way. Plus CNN is also a damn popular site so google is going to have a bit more detail on them then other sites.

I suggest the use of a robots.txt file and giving the crawler some good content to crawl through.

Appreciate it the reply and suggestion. Been waiting for a few days on this one. Appreciate it :angry:

#4 +mw.siCk

+mw.siCk

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:Internet, Design and Movies

Posted 11 June 2007 - 02:28 PM

Question: How would you implement the "robots.txt" thing exactly ?
Would you just place that as a link in your coding?

#5 theblogbeat

theblogbeat

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 07:15 PM

Having links like domainname.com/world_news/ helps.
Page titles that reinforce the structure helps too/

#6 cosmouse

cosmouse

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 10:15 PM

Hmm, if you search "ehko.net" (my domain), you'll see that the beta page is listed like that. I don't have a robots.txt file, so I don't think it's required.

#7 haxan

haxan

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 02:28 AM

How can you tell google to crawl something from robots. I mean.. i do know how to tell it NOT to but didn't know you could actually tell it which URLs to give preference to.

#8 jbladeus

jbladeus

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 06:38 AM

that type of listing in googlespeak is called a "SiteLink".

This is what Google says about sitelinks:

Sitelinks are additional links Google sometimes generates from site contents in order to help users navigate your site. Google generates these sitelinks periodically from your site's contents.

Because we generate sitelinks dynamically, this list can change from time to time.

Sitelinks are completely automated, and we show them only if we think they'll be useful to the user. If your site's structure doesn't allow our algorithms to find good sitelinks, or we don't think that the sitelinks are relevant to the user's query, we won't show them. However, we are always working to improve how we find and display sitelinks.

#9 JemsRoker

JemsRoker

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Internet browsing and creating new design.

Posted 24 April 2010 - 08:10 AM

Google is giving you advanced search option and you can customize you search from advanced search option.

#10 _*aditd_*

_*aditd_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2011 - 02:45 PM

That would be the correct answer. If you are big you will be indexed a little bit different by google ( like showing more results ) and mainly, I would say, for the fact that people search for this site. So Google has to give his users option ... or more option.
How get listed like this?
Be as popular as CNN :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users