Chalky

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 03:28 PM

or a photoshop effect?

Posted Image

If its not a font anyone seen a tut on how to do it?

Cheers

Edited by Chalky, 27 June 2007 - 03:30 PM.

#2 Chalky

Chalky

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 03:45 PM

Google a wonderfull thing..

Any idea on a source for a font called "Bertram"?

#3 PSgirl

PSgirl

P2L Staff

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 04:28 PM

http://www.myfonts.c...notype/bertram/
http://www.fonts.com...amp;kid=Bertram
http://www.linotype....ram-family.html
You have to purchase it :yoda:

#4 MetalSkin

MetalSkin

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 196 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 05:32 PM

The dafont web site is a wonderful place. I'm sure if you trolled through all the fonts in all the areas you may find a font similar to the above that is free. however the colour effect and the border you would have to do in photoshop. the border is easy, the colour effect will be a pain in the ass.

#5 Chalky

Chalky

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 12:37 AM

The dafont web site is a wonderful place. I'm sure if you trolled through all the fonts in all the areas you may find a font similar to the above that is free. however the colour effect and the border you would have to do in photoshop. the border is easy, the colour effect will be a pain in the ass.

Thanks for the info PSgirl and Metalskin.

Metalskin, Mickey seems to be the fav option at the moment, can you give me an rough idea on how to achieve the border.

Cheers

#6 MetalSkin

MetalSkin

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 196 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 01:36 AM

I'll have a gander in photoshop tonight (say around 2ish hours when I'm home, at work currently). From memory you put an outline affect on the layer, that should work a treat. Hmmm just noticed its not as simple as a yellow border but in fact a yellow border outlined with a black border. Let me play around with it, but it should be pretty straight forward.

#7 Chalky

Chalky

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 06:13 AM

I'll have a gander in photoshop tonight (say around 2ish hours when I'm home, at work currently). From memory you put an outline affect on the layer, that should work a treat. Hmmm just noticed its not as simple as a yellow border but in fact a yellow border outlined with a black border. Let me play around with it, but it should be pretty straight forward.

Cheers, looking forward to having ago.

#8 MetalSkin

MetalSkin

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 196 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 06:26 AM

Well I've knocked together a quick tutorial for you to do this. I'll just post it here for now, but spose I will submit it as a tutorial later.

Note that I'm hosting the images on my web site and my host is not the fastest, so please bear with any slow downloads.

First create an image, select your font and type in your text. This will create a layer above the default background layer:

Posted Image

Note that I typed in your example, " The Doctor" and as such the layer is the same name as the text typed in. If you change your text it will not change the name of the layer. The font I'm using is called Plok and you can find it here from dafont by Furdville.

Next create a layer for your red fill (use Shift Control N):

Posted Image

Now you will want to select the Magic Wand Tool, via the left toolbar:

Posted Image

Select the inside of the letter T:

Posted Image

Now do the same for the other letters you wish to be the colour red:

Posted Image

Now you wish to select the Paint Bucket Tool:

Posted Image

And select your colour:

Posted Image

Reselect your Red Fill Layer that you created previously:

Posted Image

And now click on the inside of the selected area. This will fill the colour that you have selected:

Posted Image

Now you will want to perform the above for each colour that you want. When your finished you should have this:

Posted Image

Note that I have also created a white fill. You must fill each character. You now select the font layer again, select the Magic Wand and click on the area outside of the font, this will select the white space outside of your text:

Posted Image

Choose Shift Control I to inverse the selection. You can do this via the select menu as well. This will flip the selection from the outside area to the inside, which is the form of your font:

Posted Image

I forgot about the hole bits in the font so now you wish to select these areas. This can be done by holding down the alt key, which will put a little - symbol next to your cursor. if you select the hole bits for the letter D, O, C and the other O then you will remove those inside bits from your selection, as such:

Posted Image

Under the Select menu is a sub menu called Modify. Under this is the Contract option. Choose this and you will get the following dialog box:

Posted Image

The default is 1, if not set it to 1. This will reduce the selection by 1 pixel. Once you select OK the selection should now look:

Posted Image

Create a new layer called Shadow (leave the font layer selected when you do this so the layer is created above the font, but below all the colour fills you did before). Now choose the Paint Bucket Tool, choose the colour black and perform a fill on the selected area. This will give no noticeable result. However if you turn off some of the colour fill layers you will be able to see the effect. Also if you turn off the font layer you can see the affect as well:
Posted Image

Now reselect the font layer and to make it easier, turn off all the layers above the font. Select the Magic Wand and click on the outside. This time to make it quicker, hold down alt and select the middle bits as well. You should get the following:

Posted Image

Once again select the inverse:

Posted Image

This time instead of contracting, we're going to expand. This is so we can create the yellow border. The Expand option is in the same place as the Contract, under the Select menu and Modify sub menu. When you select the menu option you will get the Expand Selection dialog box, we want the expansion to be 2 pixels:

Posted Image
This will result in the following once you click Ok:

Posted Image

As you can see the area has been expanded both outside the font and inside as well. Create a new layer and call it Yellow Border:

Posted Image

Select the Paint Bucket Tool, choose the yellow colour from the pallet and paint inside the selected area. This will result in the following:
Posted Image

Now if you turn on all the other layers again, you will see it looks like we're almost there:

Posted Image

Select the fx button which will display the fx menu at the bottom of the layer panel and choose the bottom option, stroke.

Posted Image

This is the default options that you will be presented with:

Posted Image

We don't want those options, we want want to choose the colour black and make the size 2 pixels:

Posted Image

Now we have the font done:

Posted Image

Only other thing to do is reselect the fx menu, choose the Drop Shadow option:

Posted Image

You will get the following options by default:

Posted Image

Tweak them a bit by changing the contour and selecting a larger size (in my case I liked 8 pixels):

Posted Image

And now you have the finished product:

Posted Image

Hope that helps mate. I never tried to write a tut before, but it's been fun :D

#9 MetalSkin

MetalSkin

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 196 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 06:29 AM

Sorry for the double post, but I've just realised that my previous post has problems because the image width is too wide. I can't go back and edit as the options to edit the post are hidden by the way the page is rendered... sorry guys didn't mean to screw it up. Maybe if you right mouse click and view image you can see the full images when you need to. I made them wide so you can see how i set up the layers, which is important in certain parts.

I'll look into making this a tutorial, that way I don't need to host the images and the pixel2life stuff will show a reduced clickable image, which is far more desirable.

#10 PSgirl

PSgirl

P2L Staff

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 09:56 AM

Images show fine to me, Invision automatically resizes them, so don't worry for that :D
Thanks a lot for your tut, I'm sure Chalky will find it useful. Your outcome is pretty similar to the one he posted.

#11 Chalky

Chalky

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 10:41 AM

Fantastic... exactly what I was after..For info "The Doctor" is Valentino Rossi if you happen to be looking for a nme for the tut.You can see it on his arse here.Posted ImageHeres my quick attempt.Cheers, you're a diamond.

Fantastic... exactly what I was after..For info "The Doctor" is Valentino Rossi if you happen to be looking for a nme for the tut.You can see it on his arse here.Posted ImageHeres my quick attempt using Mickey font.Took 2 goes and about 30 mins to suss it but am more than impressed witht he result.Cheers, you're a diamond.

Opps, bodged that a bit.. lol

Attached Files

• Attached File  font.jpg   58.92KB   5 downloads

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users