26 replies to this topic

#1 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 08:57 PM

Hey guys,

Made some big strides today on the massive cleanup, which is basically years of P2L being on autopilot and not updated or spam controlled, and turned in to an Ad mine field.  I've been working on the site the last few days and I have the following updates:

1. I've removed 64 pages of spam from the forums, mostly the ones dominating the general forum.  I know there is a lot more, so please report spam via the forum reporting tool, it's easy to flag a post or thread and I will nuke it.

2. I installed anti-spam code to the forum

3. I removed all the crazy ads that were on tutorials within our Publishing System.

4. I've cleaned out the backlog of over 600 reported dead tutorials.  I'm sure there's more so please don't be shy, report dead tutorials by clicking on the red report button within a tutorial listing.

5. I've cleaned out the backlog of tutorials pending approval.

6. I've identified some major bugs on the forum functionality and have hired a new developer to fix these issues, and if all goes well, he will continue to develop and fix P2L for a long time.  You'll see him cruising the forums as airnayden.

For now he will be working on the following:

• Issue with a thread not refreshing when quick reply is used
  • Database error when using full reply
  • Threads/topics not reflecting the correct number of views, last user to reply and number of replies in thread listings.
  • Several major issues with the admin panel preventing me from additional cleanups of the database.

I'll have more updates soon, so please bear with us as we tidy up.  I know that the contact us page is broken so if you need to reach me and can't login to P2L for any reason, please use my personal blog contact page for now.  You can find that at http://www.danrichard.com/contact/

Thanks and see you soon!
Dan

• VenomGraphics likes this

#2 cigraphics

cigraphics

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 07:27 AM

Great news. I was coming back to this website from time to time to see if something has changed just for old times sake.

#3 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 07:38 AM

Great news. I was coming back to this website from time to time to see if something has changed just for old times sake.

Hey!!  Glad to see you, thanks for sticking with us and checking from time to time!  We're actively working on fixing up the site and upgrading etc but there is a TON to do.  Hope you've been well, been a loooong time lol

#4 cigraphics

cigraphics

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 10:12 AM

Hey!!  Glad to see you, thanks for sticking with us and checking from time to time!  We're actively working on fixing up the site and upgrading etc but there is a TON to do.  Hope you've been well, been a loooong time lol

Yes, It's been a very very looooong time. This was the place where i learned the basics of PHP dev and working in the field :D

#5 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 10:17 AM

Yes, It's been a very very looooong time. This was the place where i learned the basics of PHP dev and working in the field :D

It's always really cool to hear stories from old users that tell me about how they first used P2L to start learning about a particular technology and how it led to big things in their careers and such.  Really neat.

#6 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 09:13 AM

This is very exciting news!

13 years ago I discovered P2L and I would love to help in any way to shake things up - let me know if there is anything whatsoever I can do :)

Hi GA!  I'll answer your PM in 2 secs :)

Dan

#7 Griffin

Griffin

P2L Staff

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts
  • Interests:Things I find interesting.

Posted 22 March 2019 - 11:07 AM

Man, and here I was just thinking I needed some cool scripts for Outlook, where am I going to find that quality content now?

Nice work, i'm sure that was incredibly tedious. I was surprised how quickly I noticed the difference when I looked at the main index. I'd gotten so used to the spam usernames and topic titles over the years.

#8 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 11:22 AM

Man, and here I was just thinking I needed some cool scripts for Outlook, where am I going to find that quality content now?

Nice work, i'm sure that was incredibly tedious. I was surprised how quickly I noticed the difference when I looked at the main index. I'd gotten so used to the spam usernames and topic titles over the years.

Haha seriously, those OST tool!

#9 Mooey

Mooey

Retired P2L Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  • Interests:http://500px.com/mikeholman
    http://holmanmedia.net

Posted 25 March 2019 - 09:26 AM

Last time I posted my youngest son was only just born......hes now 8.

Way to make me feel old  :dance:

#10 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 10:03 AM

Last time I posted my youngest son was only just born......hes now 8.

Way to make me feel old  :dance:

Hahah that's rough man ;)  Welcome back!!

#11 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 02:00 PM

More coding updates coming soon folks! Still working on issues!

#12 VenomGraphics

VenomGraphics

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 01:35 AM

Man, I'm actually surprised I still remembered my old login here, it's been so long.

Glad to see that this place isn't going to just fade away!

#13 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 01:49 PM

Man, I'm actually surprised I still remembered my old login here, it's been so long.

Glad to see that this place isn't going to just fade away!

Hey welcome back!  Thanks for checking in and well done remembering your login! lol

Certainly going to try not to let it fade away... a loooot of work to do though.

Dan

#14 staticeffect

staticeffect

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts
  • Interests:Web Design and video games

Posted 30 March 2019 - 10:16 PM

Happy to see you back and the site being fixed up. Looking forward to seeing some new content posted.

#15 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 09:45 AM

Happy to see you back and the site being fixed up. Looking forward to seeing some new content posted.

Thanks Static!  We're working on it for sure!

#16 DanWilliamson

DanWilliamson

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 02:20 PM

Well this is a blast from the past!

#17 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 10:49 AM

Well this is a blast from the past!

We back!! lol

#18 DoC

DoC

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 06:18 AM

This is awesome! And them pesky spam bots are gone 😁 I'm not sure what I could do to help out but would love to do anything!

#19 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 02:02 PM

Yeah the spam was out of control!

#20 DoC

DoC

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip